Author Topic: [IC] '25' Keyset - A green and yellow keyset based on the Lotus 25  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless

This is a keyset based on the Lotus 25 racing car, which took the legendary racing driver Jim Clark to his dominant first F1 world championship in 1963

I would theoretically like this to be a DCS set in SP ABS. It would be cool to offer an ISO 'Brit Kit' as an addon pack.

I don't have any fancy render skills but I want to hear your opinions on this colour scheme. I think it'll be divisive but hopefully some of you will like it.

Here's a keyboard-layout-editor link for if any of you want to play around with the colour scheme.

The SP ABS Swatches are:

Green: VV
Yellow: YY
Blue: BFU
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 05:04:35 by Dihedral »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: [IC] '25' Keyset - A green and yellow keyset based on the Lotus 25
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 13:04:24 »
BUmp any feedback on this colour scheme?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 14:36:15 »
It's almost an inverted Turtle Power set.  You're going to have a hard time getting anyone on board with it.  Turtle Power only made it because a retailer was backing it, the timing was right, and Ninja Turtles nostalgia.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 21:49:12 »
I think an issue might be that SP doesn't have a dark enough green. VV is their darkest, and that's what nuclear data used. I have that key set and it doesn't remind me of lotus green.

Now a glossy John Player Special set... That might get my attention.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 00:20:13 »
Turtle Power is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this set.  I had to do a web search for Jim Clark and the WDC because I'm not a race fan, although I do admire the design and engineering that goes into producing machines. Maybe if you could change the color layout to incorporate something like Regack's keyset as seen below, it would differentiate your set more.

Here's the "big" one next to the WASD Code:

Show Image

Although, that would limit your options for what type of boards you could put the set on and limit its appeal to a smaller set of buyers.

I played around with the layout you provided.  My result is not great but I think the addition of a checkered flag to the number pad could be a nice touch for your set.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/da6ef7c893f0018a53e215a1afc58152
99301-0

I see chrome and white and black on Jim Clark's F1.  Maybe you could try incorporating those colors into the set too.  I tried making the modifiers silver (hex value BFBFBF) but I don't think it was an improvement. 
99303-1

I think a WDC trophy legend would be a good choice for the OS key. 

After looking at the vehicle, I can see potential for this set but I am guessing that the number of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts who are also fans of F1 and who are also fans of Jim Clark is pretty small, so your set is going to have to appeal to a wider group than just F1 fans.

edit:  I realized my wording was a little ambiguous and changed it to be more clear.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2015, 10:59:43 by derezzed »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 01:57:01 »
I think an issue might be that SP doesn't have a dark enough green. VV is their darkest, and that's what nuclear data used. I have that key set and it doesn't remind me of lotus green.

I think the nuclear data green works, and any darker would hinder the ability to read the legends. Here is a very quick JPL one - I think it looks good; but it's a totally different keyset :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 01:59:04 »
It's almost an inverted Turtle Power set.  You're going to have a hard time getting anyone on board with it.  Turtle Power only made it because a retailer was backing it, the timing was right, and Ninja Turtles nostalgia.

I see what you mean. Having said that, the Turtle Power one is a lot brighter than this one. I don't envisage this being the next Granite, but I was wondering if there was enough interest for a run of 100 or so sets.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 10:31:41 »

I think the nuclear data green works, and any darker would hinder the ability to read the legends. Here is a very quick JPL one - I think it looks good; but it's a totally different keyset :)

That's probably true. Something's not clicking for me here... I'll try and think about why.

Either way, this set must go on the CF lightweight keyboard Hwood is currently running.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 11:28:28 »

That's probably true. Something's not clicking for me here... I'll try and think about why.

Either way, this set must go on the CF lightweight keyboard Hwood is currently running.

I think it would look good on the CF board.