Author Topic: hi im new  (Read 1250 times)

Offline condoriano

hi im new
« on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 00:50:31 »
My keyboard just broke. It was a crappy old 10$ rubber dome piece of junk that won't be missed. Now i want something badass and fully programmable to replace it, with a layout like a 75% or 60% with extra top row and blue mx switches similar to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65036.0 so it led me here where hopefully i can learn things in order to obtain my dream keyboard

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
Re: hi im new
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 00:55:26 »
Welcome to the community :D Have you thought about the Race 2 or Noppoo Choc mini?
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline condoriano

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 01:40:22 »
thank you! the physical layouts of those are what i am searching for, but i also search for something that allows customizable firmware that can hold different dynamically switchable layouts. that doesnt seem to be the case since they don't specify the use of a controller like teensy that you can reprogram with the usb interface, so im assuming its not the case. but i could be wrong  :))

Offline condoriano

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 02:16:57 »
ive been wondering if there are commercial keyboard that allow custom firmware loading. Or else i would rather make my own than buy a brand new keyboard and put a microcontroller inside it.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 03:34:59 »
Hi new!
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:27:55 »
ive been wondering if there are commercial keyboard that allow custom firmware loading. Or else i would rather make my own than buy a brand new keyboard and put a microcontroller inside it.

Commercial, probably not.  If you're okay with soldering, there's always the B.Mini:
http://winkeyless.kr/product/b-mini-pcb/
http://winkeyless.kr/product/b-minir-pcb/

Their bootmapper is relatively easy to use for programming keys:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58945.msg1348915#post_SW
This is for the faceW pcb, but the winkeyless boards use the same bootmapper.

Offline condoriano

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 16:14:29 »
that seems like what im searching for; i have no problem with soldering and assembling the parts. I sent an email to the owner about a schematic of his PCBs, since it doesnt seem to be anywhere on his website. Since basically when buying a custom keyboard it seems you are buying mainly the pcb and the metal plates. The rest is some generic stuff you can get on your own. So i need to make sure the PCB circuit is what i want.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 06:01:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Good luck on your search!  Although the GB has finished, you might still find someone that wants to sell theirs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 07:29:12 »
Welcome to GH! It seems like you want to go all in (which is a good thing).

Good luck finding what you want on here. There's a wealth of information on here of exactly what your looking for.

We're glad to have you here and if you have any questions feel free to get in contact with anyone on here. Don't be afraid to start a discussion either. :thumb: