Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 Leds dying  (Read 3757 times)

Offline un1x

Ducky Shine 3 Leds dying
« on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 04:59:17 »
My ducky shine 3 leds start to dying (F5, 7&, ? leds dead - S key led seems to be dying)
Purchased 13 december 2014
I'm just disappointed, so many people adviced this keyboard as good & solid product.
It seems to be 150 € not worth it. I'll send it back to warranty.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
Re: Ducky Shine 3 Leds dying
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:10:56 »
Warranty repair not worth it IMO. Better off doing repair yourself or finding someone to do the soldering for you.

Offline un1x

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:20:44 »
Warranty repair not worth it IMO. Better off doing repair yourself or finding someone to do the soldering for you.

Why not worth it ? I might ask for refund and get another keyboard but i'm bored with leds issues and i dont know if i can get something better.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:23:54 »
Refund is diff from warranty. Warranty repair is them fixing the LEDs. They'll fix it and its possible they'll die again when they send back and you have to wait.

Return is another option, but outside of Korean customs there's not much in the way of better backlit keyboards than Ducky. Unless you're into nonstandard layouts.

Offline un1x

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:45:15 »
Refund is diff from warranty. Warranty repair is them fixing the LEDs. They'll fix it and its possible they'll die again when they send back and you have to wait.

Return is another option, but outside of Korean customs there's not much in the way of better backlit keyboards than Ducky. Unless you're into nonstandard layouts.

What about the new Shine 4 or Razer Chroma (i didn't hear good things about razer's switch)
Does it worth to upgrade to Shine 4 ?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:17:06 »
Depends on your needs. If you ever want to change keysets then don't get Razer or others.... They have nonstandard keyboard layout.

Honestly cheapest option is to repair. Repair warranty I think you need to pay shipping. If you can find a local soldering ace, there are YouTube videos on how to open the Ducky case. Then the ace can desolder the affected LEDs and replace them with new ones.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 00:19:52 »
If you decide to repair, please don't make the same mistake I did; plug the power back in the same orientation it was originally.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 04:45:50 »
Might be from a bad batch.  I have a couple of Shine 1 keyboards, and one has had fairly heavy daily use for more than a year with the LEDs on 24x7 and every LED wtill works perfectly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 04:48:04 »
Might be from a bad batch.  I have a couple of Shine 1 keyboards, and one has had fairly heavy daily use for more than a year with the LEDs on 24x7 and every LED wtill works perfectly.

My Shine 2 leds are holding up as well  ;D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline un1x

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 05:57:19 »

I just had Razer BW 2014 before this keyboard who had key chattering issues, and now led issue with this keyboard i don't know what is going wrong.
//Edit: 2 more led down

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:03:17 by un1x »

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:29:46 »
It's your call - you know your options. You could return it (replace, exchange) with retailer. Where did you buy it?

You could RTM. Or you could DIY.  :D

Offline Rafi66

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:40:18 »
Hmmm... interesting, because I am during the purchase new keyboard, thanks for the information :)

Offline un1x

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:43:31 »
Hmmm... interesting, because I am during the purchase new keyboard, thanks for the information :)

Your welcome.
Hope you can enjoy your choice.

It's your call - you know your options. You could return it (replace, exchange) with retailer. Where did you buy it?

You could RTM. Or you could DIY.  :D

I bought it from Ducky Belgium distributor alternate.be, i'm even thinking to get a non backlit keyboard with a solid cherry mx switch, i have enough with these problems.