Author Topic: The SpacePad, yet another DIY numpad  (Read 3499 times)

Offline KitWasHere

The SpacePad, yet another DIY numpad
« on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 13:30:38 »
Took a little while to get everything put together, but my little number pad is finally done! Calling it the "SpacePad" because I'm terrible at names.

Few more pictures of the build process in this album: http://imgur.com/a/M9bbg

I used an "Arduino Pro Micro" for my controller, and without a reset button on board I needed access to the reset pins. Will probably be programming this thing over and over again as I find better uses for the macro keys, so I tried to make it as quick and painless as possible for myself. There are two holes drilled through the back of the case right above the needed pins, which are hidden behind the stand.

Magnets!

Special thanks to the user here "Booper" for making this awesome keyset.

Can provide cad files for the case if anyone wants them.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
Re: The SpacePad, yet another DIY numpad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 13:45:28 »
Oh wow! That is a really nice little setup. I love the idea of a number pad with a few extras to compliment a 60% board. Your end result looks really nice and clean as well. I feel honored to have my set adorn such a cool little creation! Awesome work, man.  :thumb:
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline naz

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 13:50:54 »
The colors kinda looks like the ones on the spiderman suit.... even the backside looks like spider web. Maybe you can rename the numpad considering this XD.

Regards!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 13:58:20 »
That's really cool.  How do the 3D printed standoffs work?  Can you just tap right into them with wood screws?

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 15:05:04 »
@Booper
I'm glad you like it! Right now I have a TKL but I made this for when I eventually get a 60 or 75%. Your key caps really pull the aesthetic together

@metalliqaz
The standoffs are sized so the machine screws just barely slide through, there are nuts on the bottom side for them to screw into

@naz
Not really seeing spiderman in those colors haha, I agree about the spiderwebs though!

Here's a link to all the cad files and such if anyone wants to make or modify this: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/spacepad-case

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 13:41:10 »
Here's a link to all the cad files and such if anyone wants to make or modify this: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/spacepad-case
Good work, and thanks for the files!  Not sure this counts as just "another numberpad" as the case slopes sideways, more a gamer pad maybe?
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2015, 02:55:33 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 00:50:57 »
I am awed. Surely someone could alter the files to suit the Gh36 too!

BTW how come you need access to the Arduino pads in order to reprogram them? I thought it is only a matter of flashing with the right firmware (which I didn't succeed in), after which you can just connect directly to USB and update or tweak the software?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:23:53 »
I really like to layout of this one. It's not the usual stuff but some nice way. Do the wasd output arrows?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 10:13:16 »
Ha that magnetic case is so cool! Does it interfere with the function at all?

Offline neverused

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 15:08:16 »
Did you use the arduino library for mouse and keyboard or reflash the microcontroller?

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 02:00:01 »
Did you use neodymium magnets? I really like the idea of modular systems esp when using magnets :)

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 17:58:53 »
@berserkfan
Unfortunately this microcontroller needs to be in "program mode" to write to it. Only way into that mode is to reset the board. And do you mean modify the case to fit the GH36?

@Thumper
Thanks man. And yea they act as arrow keys, couldn't get my hands on a set of blue arrows.

@CPTBadAss and unipsykal
No interference from what I can tell.  The magnets are buried in the stand deep enough so they just barely hold on to the screws, microcontroller doesn't seem to care. Was kind of just a proof of concept that ended up working out, had never tried pausing a print before and adding something in before resuming. And yes they are neodymium magnets :)

@neverused
No, I used a hacked together version of Hasu's keyboard firmware: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard
I was planning on using this firmware here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0 but I didn't really give it an honest try after putting it all together. Making a custom layout to work with that seemed like more work than making one for Hasu's. Maybe in the future, would make switching up the macros a little easier. For now the macro keys are programmed to F23 and F24 and I use an autohotkey script to handle the actual macros

Thanks for all the kind words!