Author Topic: Hand Size In Regards to Typing  (Read 2560 times)

Offline itlnstln

Hand Size In Regards to Typing
« on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:01:05 »
Does anyone else feel like their hand size either helps or hurts their ability to type?  I have pretty small hands for a guy, especially, for my height.  I have been using blank keycaps for a couple of days now, both for aesthetic purposes as well as trying to force myself to stop looking at the keyboard when I type.  So far I have been doing OK, but I run into trouble when I have to move off the home row, or I move far off the home row due to my hand size.  I have a hard time getting back into position and end up typing a bunch of wrong letters while I get realigned.  I know I will figure it out eventually, but has anyone else experienced this (or not, because you have large hands)?

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:14:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;118484
Does anyone else feel like their hand size either helps or hurts their ability to type?  I have pretty small hands for a guy, especially, for my height.  I have been using blank keycaps for a couple of days now, both for aesthetic purposes as well as trying to force myself to stop looking at the keyboard when I type.  So far I have been doing OK, but I run into trouble when I have to move off the home row, or I move far off the home row due to my hand size.  I have a hard time getting back into position and end up typing a bunch of wrong letters while I get realigned.  I know I will figure it out eventually, but has anyone else experienced this (or not, because you have large hands)?

My biggest issue is the bottom row, most often c, v, and b. With that said, I actually have average hands, but longer fingers.

The thing that really slows me down typing is if I have to deal with different levels of actuation force in each key row. The AT101W, for example, I find difficult to type with for this reason, as the ALPS sliders are much more sensitive to the angle of actuation than other switches seem to be.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:15:08 »
what about the dimples?

i have moved around my keys and do not have them where they should be, but i think i always used the spacebar and the left side of the keyboard to align myself anyway.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:30:19 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;118492
what about the dimples?

i have moved around my keys and do not have them where they should be, but i think i always used the spacebar and the left side of the keyboard to align myself anyway.

I try, but that's not always fail-safe.  I may just have to look down occasionally just to make sure.

Quote from: ripster;118494
Ditto. When I swapped one in yesterday to do some key transposition testing I couldn't figure out WHAT was going wrong until I figured that out.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think this has to do with the slider being guided down by the housing.  Since the housing wraps around the slider, it is a little harder to press down at an angle more so than a Cherry switch.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:41:35 »
I have big hands, but it's still uncomfortable stretching to right shift for example, so I do move away from the home position.

I had to install rubber bumps on my DAS as the existing nubs were too hard for me to find. The new ones do a wonderful job.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:51:10 by Rajagra »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:45:52 »
Quote from: Rajagra;118500
I have big hands, but it's still uncomfortable stretching to right shift for example, so I do move away from the home position.

I had to install rubber bumps on my DAS as the existing nubs were too hard for me to find. The new ones do a wonderful job.

I might have to try that.  I think I just need some time to adjust to using the blank caps, too.  I think after I use them for awhile, all of these little problems will start to go away.

Offline talis

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 13:48:05 »
You could probably get away with a tiny square of scotch tape for now too, it should give enough of a feel to be detectable when you need it, but help you get used to finding the home row without anything (its cheap too).

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 15:37:53 »
I'm just learning to (touch) type, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I have very large hands (Goes with the territory, I'm 6'3"). I still find I move off home row, but, watching my mother-oin-law (Trained to type in school, 80ish WPM), she moves from home-row far more than I do, and she has what I would call "average" hands.

Everybody has to do it. As other say, it's more about how you get back on to it.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project's :- 122 key 1389620 Wireless ESP32 :
'Pooter :- Xeon E5-2680v4 : Machinist MR9A : 2x16GB DDR4 : Radeon RX6600 : NVME & Spinning rust :

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 16:42:43 »
Oh, I'm back on the Filco now with the blank keys.  If I had blank caps with the scooped keys the Cherry has, I would murder myself.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 19:40:30 »
I have very large hands, but the main problem I experience is keys being too small.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 21:10:29 »
Quote from: ripster;118488
You know what they say about guys with small hands.....

I had my window big enough to see only the original post, but after reading it, I was saying to myself that the first comment would sure come from you. And I was right.

Going back to the topic, I had some problems with my G80 at the beginning because of the scooped J and F keys, but also because the keys surface aread felt smaller than my other keyboards keys. After a while I got used to them. They still feel smaller if I have typed a lot of another keyboard before going back to them.