Author Topic: a nice problem to have  (Read 5045 times)

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 12:50:52 »
So now I have an M, an endurapro, a fukka board (altho wish it had a better controller, its not as bad as das/abs).

And I cant decide which to use!   cuz they all rock.  :-D

Pretty lame, I know. Too bad I cant type on all of them at once. ;)

I'm more accurate on the buckling springs (no question about it) but the fukkas are a nice "lighter" switch and I fly on them.

chunka chunka chunka
fukka fukka fukka

cant decide.

Looking forward to the tp3, i'll probably get one so long as they havent fukka'd up the controller.

If they just fix those controllers this could be the golden age of mechanical keyboarding, so many choices and even alps switches are coming back into new products in the market after vanishing for a while.

If they dont fix those controllers then this is the crap age of keyboarding, lol.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2009, 12:56:34 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
a nice problem to have
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 12:56:21 »
And you haven't even tried a Model F yet...

Actually, I often have the same problem. Do I want to type heavily or tread lightly today?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 13:01:58 »
Quote from: timw4mail;118777
And you haven't even tried a Model F yet...

Actually, I often have the same problem. Do I want to type heavily or tread lightly today?

lol, exactly. sometimes i like to do both! and that just confuses me. ;)

I did have an F in the early 80s, tho i havent tried one since then. I did like it a lot (i was actually trying to replicate it when i began my keyboard search a year ago).  Guess i'll have to get one eventually just to try it again.  I couldnt use it as a daily driver because of the layout tho (unless I radically change my autohotkey file).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline AndrewZorn

a nice problem to have
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 13:04:03 »
when i actually get all the others i am going to arrange them like a church organ
2 beside each other and 2 behind but higher than those

combined with the two monitors and a rolly chair it should be perfect

Offline timw4mail

a nice problem to have
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 13:08:36 »
Quote from: wellington1869;118778
lol, exactly. sometimes i like to do both! and that just confuses me. ;)
I've looked and looked, and I still haven't found the medium-force keyboard that I really like. Maybe if I ever get my ADB converter, my AEKII will be that keyboard...

I did have an F in the early 80s, tho i havent tried one since then. I did like it a lot (i was actually trying to replicate it when i began my keyboard search a year ago).  Guess i'll have to get one eventually just to try it again.  I couldnt use it as a daily driver because of the layout tho (unless I radically change my autohotkey file).

What's the big difference with the Model F layout, that you can't do that?
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 13:11:01 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;118779
when i actually get all the others i am going to arrange them like a church organ
2 beside each other and 2 behind but higher than those

combined with the two monitors and a rolly chair it should be perfect

hahahaha thats a great idea ;)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
a nice problem to have
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 14:55:23 »
I noticed that there is a keyboard, the LK1800, that is programmable, and apparently uses some form of tactile key switch, such as Cherry or Alps, which is reasonably inexpensive (I've seen prices of $139 U.S. in some places) made by Logic Controls... which has an input for plugging in another keyboard, as long as it has a PS/2 connector, such as a Model M.

So that could be the solution you are looking for. It has an AT-style layout in the main typing area, but that can be remapped.

Offline rdjack21

a nice problem to have
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 15:34:59 »
I just had to look them up. That is a pretty cool board:
LK1600:

And the LK1800:

Both feature
Easy and Advanced Programming
The LK1600 is one of the easiest and most programmable keyboards on the market. All 120 keys are programmable and 38 keys are relegendable with transparent key caps. Using a powerful Windows-based programming utility that stores key definitions in a data file, an integrator can create a program layout for multiple keyboards, rather than programming key by key, keyboard by keyboard. The keys can be programmed with multiple shift levels to further increase the number of effective programmable keys, and a key lock switch is used to select the program layer - e.g., manager override, department 1, department 2, etc.

Man that sounds nice the specs go even further and state that each key can have up to 1800 chars so plenty of room for all kinds of stuff.

Oh here is a link to the site: http://www.logiccontrols.com/web/LK16.html

EDIT: Found them LK1600 not too bad at $200 for one. Oh this vendor also has all kinds of other boards as well might be fun to dig around their site when I get a chance tonight.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2009, 15:39:35 by rdjack21 »
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline msiegel

a nice problem to have
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 15:41:27 »
Quote from: wellington1869;118773
I'm more accurate on the buckling springs (no question about it) but the fukkas are a nice "lighter" switch and I fly on them.

hmm, same here...

I may have to start plotting a Model F ANSI layout hack :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
a nice problem to have
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 15:48:57 »
It is perfectly feasible, there are unused contacts on the boards, you could easily turn it into ANSI or ISO. You'd just need extra spring/hammers from a donor board.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
a nice problem to have
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 16:23:16 »
If you like programmable keyboards, I'd recommend a Gateway2000 AnyKey. They're high-quality rubber dome keyboards with all 124 keys being programmable. You can find one in the computer trash or on Ebay for about $20 to $30.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 17:56:41 »
Quote from: msiegel;118849
hmm, same here...

I may have to start plotting a Model F ANSI layout hack :)

if you make it, i'll buy it ;)

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 17:59:20 »
rdjack, those lk keyboards look really cool -- except for the tiny backspace key, ugh. but on the other hand its programmable, so technically you could program "-" and "=" as backspace too, lol.

it they have alps i'll seriously "consider considering" one, as they say. ;)  I've been eyeing those programmable avant/northgate boards like forever. The problem is this tho: with a programmable board i'm tied to a specific board; with autohotkey no matter which board i plug in works exactly the way i want, fully customized.  Its hard to beat ahk, even with its occasional wobbles.

Offline msiegel

a nice problem to have
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 19:18:02 »
Quote from: ch_123;118853
It is perfectly feasible, there are unused contacts on the boards, you could easily turn it into ANSI or ISO. You'd just need extra spring/hammers from a donor board.

i would want the Model M's Backspace, backslash, Enter, shorter space bar, and a 3 modifier + 4 modifier bottom row.

new holes will have to be drilled in the switch mounting plate, extra capacitive pads will have to be added to the pcb, and it will need a replacement case and a new controller.

fortunately the switch housings are movable, and Model M/F keys are interchangeable... :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 19:37:05 »
Quote from: ch_123;118853

so could someone, for example, mount an F board guts into a M case? (and get the M layout thus)?

Offline msiegel

a nice problem to have
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 21:28:29 »
Quote from: wellington1869;118913
so could someone, for example, mount an F board guts into a M case? (and get the M layout thus)?

the pcbs are different sizes; for one thing, the model f has function keys along the left instead of on top like the model m.

hmm, that's an interesting idea though... :)

Offline timw4mail

a nice problem to have
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 22:00:56 »
Quote from: msiegel;118926
the pcbs are different sizes; for one thing, the model f has function keys along the left instead of on top like the model m.

hmm, that's an interesting idea though... :)

And you'd have to find another AT or XT just to get extra key assemblies from. Anyway you look at it, that's one huge undertaking of a Mod.

Offline msiegel

a nice problem to have
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 September 2009, 23:51:26 »
Quote from: timw4mail;118934
And you'd have to find another AT or XT just to get extra key assemblies from. Anyway you look at it, that's one huge undertaking of a Mod.

yes indeed, like two trains crashing into one another :)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
a nice problem to have
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 01:33:07 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;118867
If you like programmable keyboards, I'd recommend a Gateway2000 AnyKey.

An interesting keyboard, and I will keep my eye out for an old one, although these days older keyboards don't turn up much at thrift shops. But unlike the one I mentioned, it isn't a POS programmable, so it doesn't have the additional functions I'm interested in - of letting you save layouts, or letting you program a key to a scan code.

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 12:59:05 »
As I said before, I'm far and away more accurate on the bs. Its the nature of the bs to produce accuracy; havent yet found a switch that beats it in that. Superb feedback both auditory and tactile.

Its the nature of the fukkas to make you *feel* like you're flying on them -- they're fun in a pretty unique way.  (Even though on every objective typing test i've taken, my bs results show that bs is in fact not only more accurate but also faster than fukkas for me, lol). But the fukkas make you *feel* like you're going much faster than you are. They're quite enjoyable and a much lighter option than the bs (while still being substantial).

But here's another difference between the fukkas and the bs that i've been noticing:
-when I'm writing extemporaneously, I'm prefering the fukkas. They are less loud, less noticeable, than the bs, and kind of 'vanish' from your mind after a while as you type on them. (I have aekii sliders installed of course, which helps).
-when I'm transcribing, the bs rule; both for accuracy and speed.

Since in my work i do both about 50/50, my only problem is finding a nice way to switch easily. I might honestly consider keeping them both plugged in and maybe even doing a two-step thing like the church organ, lol.

So who's going to design the first keyboard-revolver? Where you just spin the mini ferris wheel to the keyboard of your choice appears in front of you?
A keyboard jukebox?

Offline timw4mail

a nice problem to have
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 13:05:06 »
Sure, and I'll invent the next amazing switch, that is designed for the most comfort, having different ranges of resistance, acoustically considered design (most comforting "click"), and a 1-1 key to controller correspondence, so as to make diodes unnecessary.

Realistically, though, I still haven't found my perfect switch. The Cherry browns, and Model F are close, but not quite there.

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 13:11:58 »
Quote from: timw4mail;119048
Sure, and I'll invent the next amazing switch, that is designed for the most comfort, having different ranges of resistance, acoustically considered design (most comforting "click"), and a 1-1 key to controller correspondence, so as to make diodes unnecessary.

Realistically, though, I still haven't found my perfect switch. The Cherry browns, and Model F are close, but not quite there.

I always think it cant be *that* hard to make a switch with "variable" key depth and resistance (a pcb board on screws that can be tuned up or down) and maybe even variable loudness (loose or tight sound insulation cut-out that fits around the switches? Or a little tab you can pull on the pcb that move the sound-plate away?)

Offline timw4mail

a nice problem to have
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 13:35:44 »
Quote from: wellington1869;119051
I always think it cant be *that* hard to make a switch with "variable" key depth and resistance (a pcb board on screws that can be tuned up or down) and maybe even variable loudness (loose or tight sound insulation cut-out that fits around the switches? Or a little tab you can pull on the pcb that move the sound-plate away?)

I had this weird idea today of some sort of switch utilizing a rotating cylinder...

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 14:21:10 »
we just need a keyboard drawer that stores one keyboard inside while the other is out on the shelf. But need a neat way to exchange them. Like maybe pullout the shelf and then it raises up, the second keyboard moves forward, the the one that is raised up gets pushed back and down into the drawer. Presto-Chango.

Any carpenters out there?  After all I've seen lazy susan spice racks that were more complex than that, lol.

Offline AndrewZorn

a nice problem to have
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 14:43:53 »
well the rotation would be nice too but it kind of keeps coming down to the cord, and how to make an arrangement that could be infinitely cycled in a certain direction.

if it was a half-circle rotating thing, then it shouldnt be too hard.

Offline msiegel

a nice problem to have
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 15:42:38 »
somebody's gonna suggest using slip-rings ;)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
a nice problem to have
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 16:19:23 »
If you can't make a decision between all your keyboards, why not get some USB converters and use all three?

Just a thought...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
a nice problem to have
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 September 2009, 21:21:55 »
Jewlery and coin shops sometimes have these cases which have small shelves on a conveyer belt; you press a button to rotate the belt.  With a larger tray, you could slap a keyboard on.  Cable tangles are imminent.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline JBert

a nice problem to have
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 04:48:01 »
Quote from: ripster;119071
I'm making this out of legos for my keyboards.  Need more bricks.
[...]
Looks an awful lot like a paternoster lift adapted to let cars enter at the bottom
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
a nice problem to have
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 09:40:13 »
I built a microphone holder out of legos. It attached to my monitor and worked quite well.

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 10:20:32 »
Quote from: JBert;119186
Looks an awful lot like a paternoster lift adapted to let cars enter at the bottom

lol, those look like a lot of fun ;)

Offline Rajagra

a nice problem to have
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 12:04:14 »
Quote from: JBert;119186
Looks an awful lot like a paternoster lift

I went on one of those during a tour of a university. I had no idea if it was safe, but it seemed impolite to refuse to get on.

I wonder what happens if you fall asleep on them. Would make a great cartoon sketch.

Offline wellington1869

a nice problem to have
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 12:10:58 »
Quote from: Rajagra;119230
I went on one of those during a tour of a university. I had no idea if it was safe, but it seemed impolite to refuse to get on.

I wonder what happens if you fall asleep on them. Would make a great cartoon sketch.

If i ever got on one of those I'd feel like a wrapped pastry in a vending machine ;)

Offline JBert

a nice problem to have
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 12:56:01 »
Quote from: Rajagra;119230

Well, you just keep going around and around, up and down.
There are a number of people putting videos on youtube where they go to the top of the elevator shaft and then start going down again.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: a nice problem to have
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:17:13 »
If you like programmable keyboards, I'd recommend a Gateway2000 AnyKey. They're high-quality rubber dome keyboards with all 124 keys being programmable. You can find one in the computer trash or on Ebay for about $20 to $30.

DO YOU STILL RECOMMEND THIS HIGH PERFORMANCE KEYBOARD?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: a nice problem to have
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 22:50:39 »
Oh boy, now I get to do it:

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg