Author Topic: [IC][POST YOUR LAYOUT] Design a Plate  (Read 18970 times)

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
[IC][POST YOUR LAYOUT] Design a Plate
« on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 09:45:23 »
Have a great design or just some ideas? Share it here!

Additionally, you can fill out this:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vIAHkuyoQYYUnhIS2hlT0KI5_0TaCbMLpxGBnVFV45A/viewform

Here i am planning a GB using this thread.

So, when i was doing the IC for this GB, i got  a lot of requests for custom plates. Everybody had their design, and many of the designs were really great. Like Dihedrals's 80% style keyboard layout and many others. I also got messaged by some known people on this sub about amazing, tested designs. Let me know what you think of the idea, i have some really great suppliers that could do something like this.

Please note that this is only ideas and everything can change. i have never done something similar, so i would appericate any feedback

Thanks!
LeandreN
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 17:23:34 by LeandreN »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: [IC] Custom plates, Massdrop style(better title later)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 09:54:56 »
I'd love to see a D-79 plate, but personally I'm going to probably run a plate + case GB anyway.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [IC] Custom plates, Massdrop style(better title later)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:03:59 »
I'd love to see a D-79 plate, but personally I'm going to probably run a plate + case GB anyway.

I understand. Please let me know if you want me to assist you, awesome design :).
I got a bunch of other designs that will probably never see reality if i don't do something like this, so i want to help those people.

Offline Tiramisuu

Re: [IC] Design Your Plate, an idea by me
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:36:05 »
The slippery slope....  Everyone wants something until it comes time to pay and then wait, yes, no, maybe,  oh did I miss it, can I still get one.... 

... I would love to see this succeed in some form ...  MOQ on a spec, order and pay, and plate arrives within 8 weeks.     A basic 10Key, TKL, 60%, 45%, 40%  iso/ans  ,  splits, linear, 10key with an order form and a count.   

Massdrop does the commit to buy approach where your transaction is pending in paypal until the buy either runs out of time or succeeds.   Not sure if you can rig something along those lines but it might make it easier for people to commit and for you not to get stuck or spend silly amounts of time chasing people.

The challenge as I see it is that when you confirm that people on the order whether you still have the MOQ is whether they have changed their minds and moved on to the next cool idea... Keyboard love is fickle and generally short lived.

My open source idea....
A fully colemak capable 40+%'ish plate.   Poker ish without the Fkey Row.
No possibility of finding a case that fits so definitely a diy.   I think walnut with brass hardware :)
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Want

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:38:18 »
I'd be into it. I don't have any experience though, and I doubt many people coming to you will have, so I can imagine you'd be helping out in the design a lot as well.
I've been playing around with a layout I'd really like to see materialize, but I really haven't gotten further than a keyboard-layout-editor link. Again, I think many people would find themselves in these very shoes.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:55:52 »
The slippery slope....  Everyone wants something until it comes time to pay and then wait, yes, no, maybe,  oh did I miss it, can I still get one.... 

... I would love to see this succeed in some form ...  MOQ on a spec, order and pay, and plate arrives within 8 weeks.     A basic 10Key, TKL, 60%, 45%, 40%  iso/ans  ,  splits, linear, 10key with an order form and a count.   

Massdrop does the commit to buy approach where your transaction is pending in paypal until the buy either runs out of time or succeeds.   Not sure if you can rig something along those lines but it might make it easier for people to commit and for you not to get stuck or spend silly amounts of time chasing people.

The challenge as I see it is that when you confirm that people on the order whether you still have the MOQ is whether they have changed their minds and moved on to the next cool idea... Keyboard love is fickle and generally short lived.

My open source idea....
A fully colemak capable 40+%'ish plate.   Poker ish without the Fkey Row.
No possibility of finding a case that fits so definitely a diy.   I think walnut with brass hardware :)

Yeah your first point could be a problem. You mean that i collect designs that i know could get popular and choose example 3 different and set up a poll?

Forget it. So i want to make a thread where people submit their design. People vote and come with their improvments, i choose 3 of the best designs and we vote!

It will take 10 days to make all the plates, 4 days shipping to me and i should be able to get everything out the first week. 1 week shipping +/-. About 4 weeks from group buy ends until it has arrived at your door.

Your project sounds amazing!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:00:12 by LeandreN »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:57:10 »
I'd be into it. I don't have any experience though, and I doubt many people coming to you will have, so I can imagine you'd be helping out in the design a lot as well.
I've been playing around with a layout I'd really like to see materialize, but I really haven't gotten further than a keyboard-layout-editor link. Again, I think many people would find themselves in these very shoes.

That might be a problem, but we have awesome people here on Geekhack willing to assist, at the same time, we have this: http://builder.swillkb.com/. Put the raw data in from KBL and you have your plate :)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:45:00 »
I had a .dxf  for a 60% using alps switches. ANSI-150 so not real popular, but I'm seeing some some movements that might imply an increase in interest.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the .dxf right now. Maybe JDcarpe, if he's reading this, has the file handy ...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:17:32 »
I think this is a great idea.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:20:53 »
I had a .dxf  for a 60% using alps switches. ANSI-150 so not real popular, but I'm seeing some some movements that might imply an increase in interest.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the .dxf right now. Maybe JDcarpe, if he's reading this, has the file handy ...

There is a 60% Alps plate GB going on right now, organized by nubbinator. :)

It's AEK II layout...were you thinking standard ANSI or something?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:25:50 »
I think this is a great idea.

Thanks for your feedback. Working on some stuff now!

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:11:44 »
How many designs will you be able to run at a time?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:16:28 »
It's AEK II layout...were you thinking standard ANSI or something?

Yeah. ANSI 150 with cherry stab-holes.

Actually I had it cut in aluminum, but with some of the discussions of 60% boards, I thought there was a chance it could be made into something that would sit in existing cases.

Of course, I haven't finished handwiring the plate I have. But with the heavy wire I've been using to connect the Enable plates, it probably won't fit neatly into a case anyway.

do you still have the file I'm talking about? it doesn't seem to be on this computer...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:26:06 »
How many designs will you be able to run at a time?
I could run 3, but I don't see a reason to run more at a time. Better to focus on one and get the sales going :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 16:22:21 »
My submission:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 16:40:57 »
My submission:

Show Image

Will make a proper form and stuff.

That is one awesome design! I will talk with you tomorrow!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:39:56 »
My submission:

Show Image

Done. You don't really need more than a universal everything plate.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:32:05 »
My submission:

Show Image

Done. You don't really need more than a universal everything plate.
Some people like different sizes.

Offline condoriano

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 00:11:57 »
hey this is awesome

this is my main idea for this

or even

not sure about the spacebar(s) 3/3 vs 2/4. I know that signature plastics have a 4x1 spacebar somewhere in their models and the 3x1 exist as well. Also would need to find a fitting case, but those are just my preliminary ideas

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 00:13:01 »
hey this is awesome

this is my main idea for this
Show Image

or even
Show Image

not sure about the spacebar(s) 3/3 vs 2/4. I know that signature plastics have a 4x1 spacebar somewhere in their models and the 3x1 exist as well. Also would need to find a fitting case, but those are just my preliminary ideas
Cool. I will take a look at it later. I have got a lot of requests lately!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:50:30 »
Different sizes, you say?

in memoriam

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:57:45 »

Show Image

Hehe, you have everything ? :)

Offline Want

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 07:08:37 »
If we're posting our ideas, here's my lovechild:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a6422d985de3ee522124a4304c143eb6

From right to left: numpad plus 4 keys up top, vertically placed F-keys, 66%.

Basically a linear 66% layout, plus the other 34% on the left, because I do love me some ergonomics, and the slim depth of a ~60%.
Yes, the caps lock and left shift are 1.5u, but damn it all if it doesn't look better this way, worst case scenario you'd have to use the wrong legends.
Oh, and other than the left shift and caps lock, a standard keyset works just fine with this, which isn't too common with linear layouts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2015, 07:14:47 by Want »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 07:19:37 »
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a6422d985de3ee522124a4304c143eb6
Show Image

Basically a linear 66% layout, plus the other 34% on the left, because I do love me some ergonomics, and the slim depth of a ~60%.
Yes, the caps lock and left shift are 1.5u, but damn it all if it doesn't look better this way, worst case scenario you'd have to use the wrong legends.
Oh, and other than the left shift and caps lock, a standard keyset works just fine with this, which isn't too common with linear layouts.
Awesome!

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:23:24 »
Show Image

This I likey. :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:26:36 »

Designing plates is how I got into making custom keyboard designs. ;)

in memoriam

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:28:57 »

Designing plates is how I got into making custom keyboard designs. ;)

Maybe we should call it "JDcarpe customs" and roll your different designs? xD

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:26:46 »
This is an AT-style layout, but with the numpad on the left, and the F-keys on the right:

in memoriam

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:27:46 »
This is an AT-style layout, but with the numpad on the left, and the F-keys on the right:

Show Image

Cool!

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:31:23 »
I will save this thread for later, when i might decide to do this, but first, THIS GB. :)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 22:12:15 »
 I might as well throw my hat into the ring.

Here's my 60% layout.

101201-0

Here's the key layout for reference:

101203-1

I added a 6mm bezel to the design because the function key is .5u lower than the bottom row.  Complications to this design include the 1.5u vertical function key (would need Signature Plastics DSA or SP row 3), the 1.75 right shift key, the 1.75 left control key, and the 2u backspace and space keys on the bottom row may not be the same profile (could always invert some backspace keys) as the rest of the row (unless DSA profile is used). 

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 00:07:44 »
I might as well throw my hat into the ring.

Here's my 60% layout.

(Attachment Link)

Here's the key layout for reference:

(Attachment Link)

I added a 6mm bezel to the design because the function key is .5u lower than the bottom row.  Complications to this design include the 1.5u vertical function key (would need Signature Plastics DSA or SP row 3), the 1.75 right shift key, the 1.75 left control key, and the 2u backspace and space keys on the bottom row may not be the same profile (could always invert some backspace keys) as the rest of the row (unless DSA profile is used).
This is my favourite! Thanks for posting here

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 00:50:54 »
Okay I finally found it.

This is sized for Alps / matias switches, and is otherwise the same as the ANSI-150 plate intended for such PCBs as the GH60.

I already have it in 6061 aluminum, so I'm not sure if I'd be in for another (but if Hasu's PCB both would work with it, and he has another run, my interest goes way up).

But for your consideration, a file written up by JDcarpe

* AKM.dxf (209.17 kB - downloaded 180 times.)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 01:33:35 »
Okay I finally found it.

This is sized for Alps / matias switches, and is otherwise the same as the ANSI-150 plate intended for such PCBs as the GH60.

I already have it in 6061 aluminum, so I'm not sure if I'd be in for another (but if Hasu's PCB both would work with it, and he has another run, my interest goes way up).

But for your consideration, a file written up by JDcarpe

(Attachment Link)
Cool! How do you do the stabilisers with Alps boards?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 12:52:02 »

No idea; I haven't built it yet. But I'd heard the ALPS keys from signature plastics used cherry style stab-stems. And I vastly prefer cherry plate stabs to costar, and alps stabs are really close to being costar stabs.

In short, wing it. Alternately, and for hand-wired or dual-support boards this would make the most sense, is to change the stabilized keyholes to expect cherry switches. <</shrug>>

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:11:56 »

No idea; I haven't built it yet. But I'd heard the ALPS keys from signature plastics used cherry style stab-stems. And I vastly prefer cherry plate stabs to costar, and alps stabs are really close to being costar stabs.

In short, wing it. Alternately, and for hand-wired or dual-support boards this would make the most sense, is to change the stabilized keyholes to expect cherry switches. <</shrug>>
Awesome. That sounds great.

Offline justnits

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 20:24:05 »

Show Image

do you happen to have one that is more universal? (supports 86 or 84 with 7u spacebar)
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:28:46 »
I want uTKL plate for my filco.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 23:24:53 »

Show Image

do you happen to have one that is more universal? (supports 86 or 84 with 7u spacebar)

I could do that easily, but then people using that plate for their Filco, DS3, KUL, or even Phantom will lose the ability to have plate mounted stabilizers. Kinda defeats the purpose.

in memoriam

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 04:32:14 »

Show Image

I could do that easily, but then people using that plate for their Filco, DS3, KUL, or even Phantom will lose the ability to have plate mounted stabilizers. Kinda defeats the purpose.
Costar stab can't fit?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 06:50:38 »

Show Image

Costar stab can't fit?

Costar or Cherry plate mount stabs will fit in the "Universal" plate I posted above. It's called universal because it can fit a variety of different PCBs and cases, such as Filcos, Ducky Shine, KUL, Leopold, QFR, etc.

There is another type of universal plate, which allows for different key options, such as 87/86/84 key layouts, short right shift, split backspace, ISO/ANSI, etc. In order to allow for those options, the stab holes are just that - larger openings that simply allow for the PCB mounted stabs to pass through. There is nothing on the plate for Costar or Cherry plate mount stabs to mount onto.

in memoriam

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 06:55:04 »
I appericate all the discussion and posts here! I will look at everything :)

Special thanks to JDcarpe.

Offline honoka

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:29:25 »
I've been searching for universal tkl plates for filco and QFR's in ISO layout. That would be an epic plate. Anyone else interested in that?

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 20:23:06 »
I've been searching for universal tkl plates for filco and QFR's in ISO layout. That would be an epic plate. Anyone else interested in that?
me +1

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:16:12 »
My submission:

Show Image

This, anodizing it in different colors (For instance gold, red, blue) would be awesome. Since it's universal, is it easier hitting MOQ and getting better prices than if we had an ISO and ANSI layout?

EDIT: Just rephrased that, it come out wrong :o
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:54:51 by JonasDK »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:17:52 »
If anodizing the plates need to be aluminium and not steel :)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:36:53 »

Yeah, for steel you powder coat

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:41:11 »

Yeah, for steel you powder coat
That's correct.

Offline hoz

• 60% is more than enough.
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 15:16:40 »
I guess someone could like the idea of this, it's my "endgame" layout after the last few months with altering boards between nordic iso, us ansi, HHKB ansi, Gon mobik´s HHKBish ansi and my very HHKB-like Infinity build.

one set with a single color from the Gateron PBT GB will cover the use of both left and right split shifts. (though i'll go for two sets of light gray/beige as i tried to match in the layout editor :P)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72609.0

Winkeyless currently have a sale on their b.face pcb that'll handle the layout (Gon's Nerd 60 should work as well)
and since i'm planning on using this in a case with "floating keys" i removed the outer cutouts to make it as clean as possible, same thing with the stab cutouts since i'll be using cherry pcb mounts anyway :)

Link to layout editor:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/d160c04ec58fb8a231126c837566a6c9

so, basically this, but done right :)

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 15:51:31 by hoz »
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline Bull1919

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 17:16:11 »
   If we're posting ideas then my ideal 65% layout is this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/993f8086a5e38c80a8544728bda2c634
Explaination:
   The macros are on the left side to keep minimal distance between your hands, but have common keybinds just a short pinky stretch away for gaming/programming/whatever.
Backspace is in the place of caps lock like it is in colemak, because that is a pretty common key, and having to reach so far really slows down workflow.
   Delete is in place of \| like on the hhkb, and \| is moved to where backspace was along with `~.
There is no caps lock key, but there is a lock key on the right side which would, when you pressed it along with shift, control, fn, alt, or any combination of those, act as a toggle. That is so that if you had a macro layer or something, you could keep it on without having to hold down ctrl+alt+fn or whatever. When it was pressed a second time, it would deactivate.
   The fn key is next to a shortened left shift, and things like Home/End, PgUp/PgDn, and the arrow keys are in a cluster where the right hand is usually placed. This is so that there is minimal movement to reach these often used keys.