Author Topic: hey  (Read 901 times)

Offline xeronu

• https://0w.nz
    • xero.nu
hey
« on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:59:52 »
i'm xero,
a programmer from pittsburgh pa.

i type for a living so i'm interested in learning more about mechanical keyboards. i have used a few already (i have a vintage ibm clicky from my first job) but want to learn more.

i currently use a kenesis freestyle vip full split keyboard. it's really nice - design wise. but the keyboard feedback is really lame. i'm interested in the ergodox (very similar design) but idk if my soldering skills are up to par. any suggestions for other full split keyboards?

i've also used a pok3r, but it felt *REALLY* small, and hurt my wrists. how do you "guys" type on those little boards?

anyway, just saying hello.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 16:20:30 by xeronu »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
Re: hey
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:38:21 »
Welcome! You could always look in the classifieds for a already assembled ergo dox. You could also buy a kinesis advantage which has the split layout and is available pre assembled, it is just way too big for my liking. I like the small keyboards mostly because it allows my mouse to be right next to the keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: hey
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 23:06:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There is a wiki page listing people and companies that provide keyboard assembly services - that would be another option to follow up.

I guess if you are used to a split keyboard, then going back to a non-split layout would feel uncomfortable.  I haven't tried a split layout, and seem to cope reasonably well with the varied plethora of conventional layout keyboards I have.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ