Author Topic: Absentee Moderators?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Absentee Moderators?
« on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 21:50:11 »
I haven't really investigated this much, so please tell me if I'm wrong.

The "making stuff together" thread says it's moderated by Soarer. I came across Soarer's profile and noticed that he hasn't posted on GH in 14 months. Is he really the sole moderator of that forum, and if so, is he still active as a moderator and just not posting? What's going on?

I mean, it's not like there's a lot of moderating that needs to happen over there but it just seems odd to me.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Absentee Moderators?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 23:18:41 »
FYI, I have moderator privs in that section, if something needs done.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 23:21:02 »
Care guys, JD gonna nuke the whole section  :p :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 23:34:40 »
I understand that "global moderators" can moderate anything, and specific individuals have been given moderation privileges over smaller areas that they are more personally involved with.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 23:36:50 »
I understand that "global moderators" can moderate anything, and specific individuals have been given moderation privileges over smaller areas that they are more personally involved with.

Correct. It's not exactly fair of me to personally moderate MST because I don't browse in there all that often. It's more helpful for JD to personally take care of it, or for others like CPTBadass to bring stuff to my attention to move. I know hoff moderates MST a lot more than I do.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:30:03 by user 18 »
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:29:09 »
I haven't noticed a particular need for moderation in there (apparently because it's already being done), but I just wondered why someone is listed on the front page as a mod if they haven't been around in a while.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:35:45 »
Just an FYI on Soarer many have tried contacting him with no response.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72000.msg1749672#msg1749672

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 16:03:30 »
I haven't noticed a particular need for moderation in there (apparently because it's already being done), but I just wondered why someone is listed on the front page as a mod if they haven't been around in a while.

I was under the impression that anyone listed as a mod, such as Soarer, is someone that isn't a mod, but has been given moderator privileges for a specific area. Or are you saying that you think his/her name should be removed since they haven't been active recently?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:55:02 »

I was under the impression that anyone listed as a mod, such as Soarer, is someone that isn't a mod, but has been given moderator privileges for a specific area. Or are you saying that you think his/her name should be removed since they haven't been active recently?

Well, at first glance it looks like if you have an issue and need a moderator, he's the guy to go to. So I don't think it's helpful to have his name there.

I don't know the guy or his circumstances for not coming around lately. I do love his Teensy firmware, FWIW. But it seems to me his name should be yanked for now and if he ends up becoming active again it's simple enough to re-add him as a mod for that forum.

My boards:
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 23:03:55 »

Well, at first glance it looks like if you have an issue and need a moderator, he's the guy to go to. So I don't think it's helpful to have his name there.

I don't know the guy or his circumstances for not coming around lately. I do love his Teensy firmware, FWIW. But it seems to me his name should be yanked for now and if he ends up becoming active again it's simple enough to re-add him as a mod for that forum.

That is correct and incorrect--depends on the specific area.  For example, on vendor subforums, the vendors have mod privileges and can moderate as they see fit in terms of maintaining threads on topic, creating stickies, etc.  We generally leave it up to the vendors to moderate their own subforums.  Artisan subforums are not moderated in the same way: global moderators still keep an eye on conduct there, but specifically assigned mods have the power to organize and clean up threads as needed, since they usually create and maintain those very threads.  The DIY subforum has been historically maintained by the Keepers (now Curators), I believe.  Soarer stopped doing anything there long before he disappeared.

If you have an issue on a vendor subforum--PM a vendor for assistance.  If you have an issue with a format of an artisan's thread--PM the artisan.  If you have issues with member conduct generally on the forum, please PM global moderators+ :)  That sort of thing :)

P.S.: I should also add that people assigned to non-vendor and artisan subforums have the task of organizing information on their respective subforum of interest and doing some moderation where needed, like hoggy in the Ergo section.  The new Keyboard of the Month subforum was spearheaded by katushkin, and he is a mod there to keep the contests running.  That's probably all self-explanatory :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2015, 23:17:16 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -