Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1609 times)

Offline minTea

Hello!
« on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:07:02 »
Should probably do an intro post!  I made my account on here somewhat recently but have been into the mech scene for a little while now mainly on /r/mechanicalkeyboards.  Before actually being into mechs I had a k70 with reds I used for gaming and originally thought it was amazing when I first got it (replaced a rubber dome).  However when I got my Shine 4 with browns I realized I didn't like linear switches and the really light feeling of reds so I sold my k70.  Now somewhat recently I got a poker II with clears and absolutely love it!  My browns feel linear now in comparison to the clears :X  Don't mind them too much though, they might be still somewhat preferable in certain gaming situations.  I feel like my Deep Space DSA makes them feel more linear due to their low profile.  I'm still not entirely sure which profile I like the most.  The RainDrop r2 I have with cherry profile is nice, I like the OEM and thickness on the Vortex Stock Poker II keycaps as well.  DSA is growing on me a lot, they seem really nice for gaming!  Need to try SA still.

Really loving clears but I hope to try topre sometime soonish. Will either go HHKB or Novatouch probably, just worried the 45g will be too light :(.  HHKB's are just so beautiful though...

Anyways thanks for listening to my rambling,

Cheers!
minTea

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:18:43 »
Heya!

Do you... Do you have any tea?

And they do say that browns are just reds with sand in them
I felt the same way about browns but recently I tried some nice modded browns that felt nice (but not remotely close to a clear. Kind of linear but like a tap when you hit the bump).

If you like clears I definitely think You should try topre.

You should get one of the 87Us with 55g topre domes to try. 45g might be a bit too light jumping from stock clears. Do keep in mind topre feels heavier. 45g topre will feel heavier than 45g brown

Offline minTea

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 20:11:19 »
That is some good advice! :) And although I have a lot of actual tea I need some Green Tea!  Can't wait for the next round of the Green Tea caps to be sold.  It was already announced they would be a part of the new Signature Plastics website so I'm pretty pumped :D.  Going to try to build a really cool board with that set!  I think you are right about the 55g realforce but I love how the HHKB looks so much (and love 60% boards) :X.  A Novatouch is tempting just so I can pimp it out obviously (and it is relatively cheap for topre).

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 21:12:46 »
That is some good advice! :) And although I have a lot of actual tea I need some Green Tea!  Can't wait for the next round of the Green Tea caps to be sold.  It was already announced they would be a part of the new Signature Plastics website so I'm pretty pumped :D.  Going to try to build a really cool board with that set!  I think you are right about the 55g realforce but I love how the HHKB looks so much (and love 60% boards) :X.  A Novatouch is tempting just so I can pimp it out obviously (and it is relatively cheap for topre).

You can always take novatouch sliders and 55g domes to put into a HHKB =P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 00:30:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You might find you like SA profile keycaps - they are usually much thicker, and go very well with stiffer springs, like clears.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline minTea

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 03:27:30 »

You can always take novatouch sliders and 55g domes to put into a HHKB =P

That would be glorious and definitely something I think I'd like to do.  Who knows though maybe I'll like the 45g domes.

Welcome to Geekhack!

You might find you like SA profile keycaps - they are usually much thicker, and go very well with stiffer springs, like clears.

Yeah from what I've heard they sound quite enjoyable!  I'll be looking forward to when I get to try a set.   :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 01:23:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yeah from what I've heard they sound quite enjoyable!  I'll be looking forward to when I get to try a set.   :)

I tried some SA keycaps on MX blues yesterday.  It didn't end well - the keycaps are too heavy and I had a lot of trouble typing.

But for stiffer switches, like MX green, definitely!  The sound is a lot more solid too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ