Author Topic: TMK firmware on the Poker 2  (Read 1926 times)

Offline joesventek

TMK firmware on the Poker 2
« on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:41:28 »
tl;dr: I accidently damaged my Pokers PCB and repaired it by hand wiring the switches and putting a teensy inside.

Pics

I was never really satisfied with the programmability of my Poker 2. Initially I had hoped that replacing the firmware should be possible somehow. But after some research I quickly realized this was not as easy as I thought and I finally gave up on the task...

...Until a few weeks ago, when I accidently damaged my Pokers PCB. At first I thought I could repair it but thanks to my soldering skills damaged it even more.

So I started putting a teensy in it.

Steps to reproduce:

• Cut all traces connecting the switches from the PCB. I've done this with a box cutter but in hindsight I should've used a dremel.
  • Remove a chunk of the PCB right under the spacebar. This is where the Teensy will go.
  • Solder the switches to the PCB.
  • Now handwire everything. Matrices and stuff.
  • Add a teensy and put TMK on it.
I kept the PCB because I feel like the combination of the plate and the PCB in the Poker make it feel extremely solid. Also, since the case is attached to the PCB, this made things a lot easier.

To my surprise this actually works quite well. I only wish I had used a dremel to cut the traces on the PCB. Because putting pressure on the box cutter cut traces tends to reconnect them. I had to do a lot of "recutting" and since the traces are on both sides of the PCB this can not only be a real pain but also quite difficult.

Also wiring the original USB port to the Teensy was a real pain.

Offline Spopepro

Re: TMK firmware on the Poker 2
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 16:05:56 »
Welcome. This is quite the first post!  Nice work.

Any reason you completely redid the wiring rather than use the matrix that was in the PCB?

Offline gosinger

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 06:36:00 »
Great idea, I just purchased a Poker 2 but I'm afraid I'll miss some programability - this might be a simple solution  :thumb:

+1 regarding the question on the PCB matrix, any particular reason?
Bolt-modded 1391403 | Ducky Shine 3 slim (MX-blue)

Offline joesventek

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 07:42:08 »
I redid the wiring because the traces in the PCB are part of what I destroyed accidently. Repairing those and figuring out the original matrix would've been a lot more work than doing my own wiring :-[