Author Topic: Anybody know how I can get this color by dyeing?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline trustinkiss

Anybody know how I can get this color by dyeing?
« on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:48:11 »
Hello,

I'm working on trying to find out how I can dye my keycaps to the color I want. I've been trying to mimic the colors of a past groupbuy on PMK (PimpMyKeyboard), the "Midnight Alpha Set." The colors that the designer of the set used were listed by him personally. Specifically I am trying to copy the same color as the modifier set in that groupbuy and the color is listed as "VCO" on the PMK site. 101792-0 is the color I am going for. How would I recreate this color on blank keycaps using keycap dyes like iDye Poly or All-Purpose Dylon? Should I try mixing green and yellow dyes or would leaving the dye in for less time in just green be effective? Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, a link to all the iDye Poly colors available is here:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:05:22 by trustinkiss »

Offline MellowFellow

Re: Anybody know how I can get this color by dyeing?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:54:56 »
u shud.. post a link to the img. rather than have the readers download something.
otherwise no one will bother to answer your question.

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:00:36 »
Oh sorry, I wasn't sure how to link it. I think it should be fixed now

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:56:57 »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 16:16:11 »
Using the info on the link Fohat provided, I would use a mixture of iDye poly green and iDye poly turquoise.  Get your method correct before committing to dyeing your good caps.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 18:11:38 »
Hello,

I'm working on trying to find out how I can dye my keycaps to the color I want. I've been trying to mimic the colors of a past groupbuy on PMK (PimpMyKeyboard), the "Midnight Alpha Set." The colors that the designer of the set used were listed by him personally. Specifically I am trying to copy the same color as the modifier set in that groupbuy and the color is listed as "VCO" on the PMK site. (Attachment Link) is the color I am going for. How would I recreate this color on blank keycaps using keycap dyes like iDye Poly or All-Purpose Dylon? Should I try mixing green and yellow dyes or would leaving the dye in for less time in just green be effective? Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, a link to all the iDye Poly colors available is here:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html
I find that I am less disappointed if I go for general colors rather than specific shades. I would try out different mixtures in caps you do not care about (definitely of same material, preferably from same set).
RETIRED

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:03:25 »
Thank you guys for the links and the suggestions!

I had actually already done one set of keycaps before and I unfortunately did not get the results I had hoped for. I had mixed iDye Poly blue with yellow and let it sit for 15 minutes at around 80C approx, and I ended up with a forest green type of color. I did not have the smarts to test out a few keys at a time for the optimal results, but I went ahead and bought a new set of blanks to try again.

This time around I will:
-Make the dye solution in a separate container (like the link had suggested) and pour it in to the actual pot of water to get my final concentration. I will try this method this time because my attempt had given me some keys with splotchy dark spots of color and unevenness.
-Test the shades I get with different amounts of soaking time to find the exact shade I want
-Use a more diluted concentration because the author of the post provided in the link believed it would result in a more even color
-Try a few different color combinations
-Be more patient

Wish me luck!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:39:42 »

Wish me luck!

I don't wish you luck. I wish you perseverance, discipline and systematic organization.

Dyeing is easy to do.

Dyeing well is not easy to do at all. I very, very strongly suggest you get a lot of disposable blanks and test.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.