Author Topic: New to geekhack and the mech keyboard world  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Gandaruvu

New to geekhack and the mech keyboard world
« on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 21:31:52 »
Hi  everyone,

I just bought some mech keyboards and I am in love with them now.

I am so happy to see so many great people and ideas here.

See you in the forum

Thanks~~

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: New to geekhack and the mech keyboard world
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 21:34:34 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:27:44 by alienman82 »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 00:46:53 »
Welcome to the best hobby around.

What keyboard did you get?
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 05:55:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Bought SOME keyboards?  How many?  Which ones?

Have you used them long enough to have developed a preference for one switch or one layout?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Gandaruvu

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 00:35:04 »
Filco Majestouch Ninja Blue Switch
Filco Majestouch 2 Custom Edition Gold Plated Blue Switch

Ducky Mini YOTH Edition Blue Switch

CM Storm Novatouch TKL

My favorite brand is Filco.

Offline Gandaruvu

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 00:49:17 »
I have tried blue, brown, black and red switches.

My favorite is blue switches.

I found all my three blue switch keyboards feel different.

The Filco Ninja is the best which is my first blue switch keyboard. I have used it for about three mouths. I love it so much.

The Ducky Mini YOTH has two strange keys. They feel and sound quite different from others. Moreover, I don't like the mushy Cherry stabilizer.

The Filco Custom Edition keys are so tight, I just received this one three days ago. I don't know why it feels so different from my Filco Ninja. It is disappointing.

For the capacities Switch keyboard, CM Novatouch, I think it actuates too soon. So I gave it to my girl friend. She loves it.

Offline Gandaruvu

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 01:16:29 »
I am now looking for good PBT keycaps for my new keyboard.

Which brand will you recommend?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 14:12:49 »
Vortex makes pretty good, and easily obtainable PBT keycaps. Ducky does as well. Keep in mind you can find cheaper sets, like the $20 on Banggood, but they are quite thing and don't feel all that much better than most stock caps. I would definitely encourage you not to write off ABS though. Good, thick ABS like GMK's or SA profile caps by Signature Plastics are as good as any caps I've ever had.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Gandaruvu

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:44:13 »
Vortex makes pretty good, and easily obtainable PBT keycaps. Ducky does as well. Keep in mind you can find cheaper sets, like the $20 on Banggood, but they are quite thing and don't feel all that much better than most stock caps. I would definitely encourage you not to write off ABS though. Good, thick ABS like GMK's or SA profile caps by Signature Plastics are as good as any caps I've ever had.

Thank you for your advice :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 01:30:39 »
Filco Majestouch Ninja Blue Switch
Filco Majestouch 2 Custom Edition Gold Plated Blue Switch

Ducky Mini YOTH Edition Blue Switch

CM Storm Novatouch TKL

My favorite brand is Filco.

A good selection :)

Favouring MX blue switches too ;)  With a touch of Topre for good measure :))

Vortex PBT keycaps are good.  Ducky make some good PBT sets too.

PMK make some nice DSA PBT sets (now that they have ironed out the alignment problems).

Tai Hao also make PBT sets, and although a cheaper option, they are quite reasonable for the price.

Also it seems that Gateron are making PBT sets.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ