Author Topic: Looking to purchase a special kind of PBT keycaps.  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Skedader

Looking to purchase a special kind of PBT keycaps.
« on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:01:54 »
Hello everyone,

I've recently got into mechanical keyboards and have been researching on what I want to get. I'm looking for a OED profile ANSI style black PBT Cherry MX keycap set that has a translucent side-print for a backlit keyboard, double shot is optional but prefered. Basically what you would find on the QFR-Si shown here http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/rapid-si/ but in PBT and double shot.

If anyone can point me to a keycap set like this then that would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of purchasing a Max Blackbird with a blue backlight and think it would be sick with these keys. I do realize that the blackbird already comes with some high quality stock ABS keys but you know... PBT. One of the reasons I'd like side-printed keys is because I've heard some people complain about the feel of the characters on the keys no matter if ABS or PBT and even if laser etched. If these aren't available I might just end up settling for the ones Vortex has that are not side-printed.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated  :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:18:51 by Skedader »

Offline blcksqrrl

• I'm afraid that I just blue myself
Re: Looking to purchase a special kind of PBT keycaps.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:32:15 »
I've spent a fair amount of time looking at the key caps available, and I have never seen any set like that. Maybe some more experienced members will say otherwise; if that's the case, I will also pickup a set!

Best of luck with your hunt!

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Apple Extended Keyboard II

Offline Skedader

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:52:50 »
Yea that's what i was worried about. I remember reading that PBT translucent keycaps are still a relatively new thing since it was difficult to have them manufactured in a non costly manner. Also the ones I'm asking for would fit such a niche market. Then again this website is exactly where that market would be  ;D

Thanks for the reply! I might just end up submitting this to the custom keycap ideas thread.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 00:00:44 »
I've never seen a set like that either.

You shouldn't be able to feel legends with doubleshot caps at all (or dyesub, for that matter). Laser etching physically etches the legend into the key, leaving a groove. Some lasered caps are infilled, but usually not to perfect alignment. Pad printed legends can also result in the legend being elevated, such that the user can feel it. With doubleshot legends, the key is moulded around the legend, and if it's done well, there should be no inconsistencies or voids.

Note that the blackbird's stock caps aren't considered by all to be of high quality. I'd definitely consider them to be above most stock caps due to not being pad printed, but that doesn't mean aftermarket sets wouldn't be better still.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Skedader

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 00:56:33 »
Alright, it's good to know if I don't get side-printed keycaps then all I have to worry about it making sure it's double shot. I was reading up on the different ways companies create the legends. Do you so happen to know which technique manufactures use to make translucent legends and if there is a proper name for that kind of keycap?

Also I just assumed the Max Blackbird stock keycaps were decent based on the reviews I read. Some people were thinking of replacing their stocks with PBT put after using them they really enjoyed the feel of the ABS keycaps and decided against it.

EDIT:
I found out Vortex uses POM as the lettering infill on their Backlit Double shot PBT +POM keycaps
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keycap_guides#wiki_plastics
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2015, 01:03:59 by Skedader »

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 14:42:53 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-front-printed-keycaps I guess you have massdrop,if not this is my invite link --> https://www.massdrop.com/r/4KN3AQ .I dont think you can find side prints doubleshot,so pbt is your only way to go

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 14:54:50 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-front-printed-keycaps?mode=guest_open
^ edited to a guest link

Varmillo caps are lasered, they won't be backlit, which is what OP was looking for.

Alright, it's good to know if I don't get side-printed keycaps then all I have to worry about it making sure it's double shot. I was reading up on the different ways companies create the legends. Do you so happen to know which technique manufactures use to make translucent legends and if there is a proper name for that kind of keycap?

Proper name would just be "backlight compatible" or similar.

Translucent legends are either made by doubleshots with a translucent plastic (as in the case of the vortex caps and the blackbird caps), or are made by making a translucent cap and printing over most of it, leaving only a legend. I believe this is often this is done by UV printing.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 01:54:54 »
Even if they did exist almost all doubleshot keycaps that have front printing that I have seen all use pad printing for the front print anyway
I doubt the tooling has even be made

Offline madanshah16

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:02:53 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-front-printed-keycaps I guess you have massdrop,if not this is my invite link --> https://www.massdrop.com/r/4KN3AQ .I dont think you can find side prints doubleshot,so pbt is your only way to go

I am looking for Side Print PBT keycaps and after buying the Vortex Side Print PBT, they feel worse when compared to Vortex Double Shot PBT Keycaps. The latter feels really smooth while the former has all the stems showing up on the key caps.
If some one more experienced with Varmilo side print keycaps can comment how the the keycaps feel when compared to Vortex would be much appreciated.

I live the stealth look of side-printed PBT keycaps..

Offline boTy

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 03:10:48 »
I have actually never seen a set like that before, very interesting. I'm afraid you'll have to buy that board for the caps though :(