Author Topic: Will the PBT keycaps totally enhance my Ch.MxBlue experience?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
I have a Razer Blackwidow 2013 with cherry mx blue switches. I have never used pbt  plastic or other switches/keyboards,so my only experience is from this stock Cherry mx blue razer.I saw some pbt blanks on massdrop and also some pbt blanks on sites like taobao aliexpress which have ok prices for a full set.Should I grab some?I will also be getting a switch tester and a new keyboard soon,so I could also use them on that keyboard.Are they worth it? Do they make noticeable difference in all key switches?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Will the PBT keycaps totally enhance my Ch.MxBlue experience?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 15:35:00 »
I think not. PBT does not have a significantly better feel but they should last much longer than typical keys for backlit keyboards. I have keys on my keyboard that were made in the '90s and which have been used a whole lot, but they are still like new.

Different sets have different heights (OEM or Cherry profile) and different textures. There is a thread about comparing different key textures around here somewhere...
🍉

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 16:09:32 »
The cap shape however has a VERY significant feel. The ones Razer uses are the worst I have ever had under my fingers. Anything is better. Especially anything Cherry profile. The Gateron sets should do you well. Good caps, cheap price.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 17:43:16 »
Different kinds of keycaps affect a ton of stuff, obviously:
  • Aesthetics. Of course. It's subjective and I don't really care.
  • Accessibility to hunt'n'peck typists. Some fonts are more legible; some color combinations or printing techniques make legends more legible; some printing techniques make legends more durable. I touch type and don't really care.
  • Feel to touch. Different keycaps have different textures and wear-resistant materials make the texture last longer before becoming smoothed out, or rather shiny/sticky. The texture is relatively independent on material. For example, Cherry PBT is "dry" and grainy, whereas Vortex PBT caps are very smooth.
  • Ergonomics/feel to type. Keycap profiles/shapes differ in the distance your fingers have to travel and whether your fingers hit keycaps at an optimal angle and in the optimal spot, comfortable for the fingertip. There's also a difference in overall keyboard height.
  • Sound. Keycaps amplify switch sound. Thicker keycaps make it a bit deeper, and so do keycaps made from a high-density material, although to lesser extent.

I actually tested various keycaps on my Das Keyboard with modern blues mounted on a metal plate last night. Thick keycaps cultivate the sound of clicky MX switches in this configuration a lot; it sounds less like playing with legos violently. The difference in keycap shape and material is obvious and a matter of personal preference; I prefer anything over ABS on hot summer days like this one here, because of stickiness.

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 01:23:56 »
Is the price good for a set? 26+6,7 ?Could I find them anywhere else in a better price? Quality/price ratio?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 02:41:02 »
It depends what set, and as I wrote, the feel is 100% personal preference—there even people that enjoy using thin worn-out ABS caps.

Thick PBT/doubleshot Vortex keycaps are a lot of bang for the buck at $20 to $30, if you like them.

Also, it should be noted that most replacement sets don't have a bottom row (spacebar, modifiers) compatible with your keyboard.

Offline Monophonic

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 05:06:16 »
No. It really depends what kind of PBT keycap you get. Some makes and thicknesses aren't worth it, IMO. However, even at its best, thick and smooth PBT IMO, it isn't SUCH a leap that it is "necessary."

I have both PBT and ABS keyboards and while I can feel which is which I wouldn't say I'm bothered to go back to my ABS. It's more just a different feel, than a straight upgrade, though it does make it feel nicer.

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 14:06:09 »
No. It really depends what kind of PBT keycap you get. Some makes and thicknesses aren't worth it, IMO. However, even at its best, thick and smooth PBT IMO, it isn't SUCH a leap that it is "necessary."

I have both PBT and ABS keyboards and while I can feel which is which I wouldn't say I'm bothered to go back to my ABS. It's more just a different feel, than a straight upgrade, though it does make it feel nicer.
I really like the blanks too.And you know pbt keycaps are always nice to have,for future keyboards too.I think I will be joining shadovved groupbuys.

It depends what set, and as I wrote, the feel is 100% personal preference�there even people that enjoy using thin worn-out ABS caps.

Thick PBT/doubleshot Vortex keycaps are a lot of bang for the buck at $20 to $30, if you like them.

Also, it should be noted that most replacement sets don't have a bottom row (spacebar, modifiers) compatible with your keyboard.

I think I will buy a new one soon.Some keys aren't working after almost 2,5 years,probably due to misuse and some others are sticky,don't know how to express the feel.They feel like linear with 200g act.force. And I wanted a new compact for years,to be able to travel with it and or take it with a laptop because I travel in country a lot for college,business.I think I will buy those ones from the shadovved groupbuy,he seems like a good and legit guy and it costs less overall.Should just think of a color,milk or white now.

Offline zazie_rx

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 15:22:45 »
I have the black and white sets of the vortex pbt+pom translucent keys, they are thick and feel great on my ducky shine 4..

Offline n3ro

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 15:40:06 »
The pbt keycaps on my black Realforce looks and feels kinda like charcoal, really nice. If they were available with mx stems, i would definately get em for my Filco.

Offline indigo78

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 23:55:32 »
It seems that most people have taken the stance that getting PBT keycaps is not necessary, I have to disagree. Since you have cherry mx blues, and I may be wrong, I'm guessing you might do a fair bit of typing. In my opinion, typing with PBT keycaps for long hours does enhance your experience.

As soon as I switched keyboards and started typing away, I immediately noticed the difference and took the PBT keycaps from my old keyboard to put them on my new keyboard. The best way to describe it is: ABS keycaps have a more glossy, frictionous feel, whilst PBT keycaps have a much smoother feel, which makes transitioning from key to key easier, and more comfortable.
It is also important to note, as somebody else suggested, that there can be good and bad quality PBT keycaps. The overall feel may differ with thickness as well as other factors.

So again, if sitting in front of a computer is something that takes up many hours of your day, and you value the quality of your typing experience during those hours, then I would strongly suggest that you consider getting better, PBT keycaps.