Author Topic: Vintage Rubber Dome Keyboards  (Read 37971 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Vintage Rubber Dome Keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:18:58 »
All MaxiSwitch keyboards that I've seen had either Alps mount, or sliders joint with keycaps. For example, the SK-6000 (my favorite MS Natural-like keyboard) or SK-710W.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 12:26:15 »
That's weird. My AnyKey has a red membrane under each switch and square pegs. The label matches up to the model and it has Maxi switch on the label.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:48:21 »
AFAIK MaxiSwitch was (eventually?) a subsidiary of LiteOn, which eventually merged with Silitek. Some changes could happen over time. But the Alps/no mount is my experience anyway.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 15:58:23 »
The Dell KB-1421 came in today.

As well as 2 mechanical switch keyboards Chicony KB-5181 Monterey and Chicony KB-5191 Futaba.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 22:28:21 »
My quietest keyboard by far is the Dell KB-1421. It's a decent little keyboard, though a bit mushy with short key travel. So meh. This is a QuietKey keyboard though it's not prominently advertised.

The Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW is the 2nd quietest keyboard I have, then another jump to the IBM KB-8923.  Then the Chicony KB-5181 with Monterey switches followed closely by the Dell AT-101W.  The rest are loud as all get out including the NMB RT6856TW that I was praising (also the Chicony KB-5191 w/Futaba)

From Whisper Quiet down to Wake up the Neighbors!

Dell (QuietKey) KB-1521

Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

IBM KB-8923

Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey)
Dell AT-101W (Black Alps)

Fentek (DSI) Large Print (Yellow Simplified Alps)
NMB RT6856TW
Chicony KB-5191 (Futaba)

Here is a group shot...

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2015, 22:31:27 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 04:15:08 »
Here is a group shot...

Show Image

Nice to see someone liking the membrane squad instead of the usual CherryMX suspects here on GH  :thumb: .

YES the IBM KB-8923 is the BEST of that bunch especially the way it was constructed and presented.  If they ever bothered to make a single SSK like model that would easily start a new cult like status as their older buckling spring brothers did.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 02:58:26 »
Now that Ive spent some time with the Dell KB-1421 rubber dome keyboard. Im revising my assessment of it.  It's got some good feed back and key stroke throw while shortened is still within the realm of traditional. The landing is soft, and the larger keys are well stabilized.  All keys likewise have good response in extremely off center key punhces. They dont rock so much and bind but only slighly rock and ride downwards. The keyboard is very quiet, one of the quietest keyboards Ive ever heard. 

I really like the no nonsense styling as well. It's about as small as a standard keyboard can get and also very slim. It has a nice heft to it as well indicating the presence of a metal base plate. The heft helps give the keyboard a solid feeling & stable platform for typing. Rubber feet and flip out risers on the backside. The USB cable is firmly connected at the center of the backside as well, but with no cable management.  You could do a lot worse worse than the Dell KB-1421.

Dell KB-1421 circa late 2000s. These shipped with Dell Optiplex systems.

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2015, 03:08:16 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 04:29:17 »
And still before the horrendous "island keys".
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 01:42:48 »
Im gonna pick up one of those Topre Clones (Noppoo EC108-Pro) and compare the Rubber Dome keyboards to it.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 02:55:28 »
Noppoo EC108-Pro 45g Topre Clone w/MX Mount Sliders in White Body with White & Grey Key Caps is on the way.  Cant wait to put it up against these high quality Rubber Dome keyboards.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 22:35:16 »
Measuring force for key depress using the nickel method.  Within 5g below stated weight.

85g KeyTronics LifeTime Series Classic (Made in Mexico)
65g Acer AccuFeel 6311-TW
65g Dell QuietKey RT7D6JTW (Thailand)
60g Dell KB-1421
55g NMB RT6856TW
50g IBM KB-8923
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 June 2015, 22:42:22 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline yomammary

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 08:03:29 »
I found a KeyTronic KT2000 series brand new in a box at work today.
Let's see if I can keep it heh.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 13:26:34 »
Nice!  Let us know how it goes!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 14:46:53 »
My latest acquisition is a newer key board from the mid 00s, around 2005 or so.

Logitech UltraX Premium Slim PS/2

These were made in both PS/2 & USB versions. The USB versions are impossible to find. New in Box PS/2 versions are sporadically available on eBay. 

Short key travel rubber dome (maybe around 2mm). The keys are very stable with smooth key response on off center strikes. You can see this in the video. I really like this key board. A great alternative to the Logitech DiNovo Edge (and Logitech K740 Illuminated).  The keys themselves feel great with a slightly pebbled surface texture, they are flatter than standard keys being slightly curved but comfortable none the less. The keystroke gives excellent crisp tactility.  I dont like that Function Row keys are smaller, especially the Esc key...but they use the same materials and rubber domes for actuation...which feels good.

The rubber dome protrudes upwards in a nipple and depressing this nipple with the flat underside of the key actuates the stroke. The keys are held on with 4 small plastic clips around the edge of the white plastic.

As you can see the keyboard is very slim. There is no cable management and the flip out risers on the back feel flimsly, could be more substantial IMO. However having said that, laying flat it's planted firmly and the keyboard body feels solid, it doesnt creek, and only a small amount of flex when grabbed at both ends and twisted. It's got a little heft to it for it's small size.

There is a lot of love for this keyboard out there from it's users.  Apparently the space bar is prone to failure at about 10 years of use.

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2015, 16:29:12 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 14:51:12 »
If anybody wants a Logitech Ultra X Premium Slim PS/2, I have several here, New in Box. $30 shipped to continental US.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 15:09:27 »
EscapeVelocity (or anyone here), ever get to use a Dell AT101R? Found it at my local thrift store and was quite disappointed to see the "R" label - thought I found a genuine AT101. It's quite nice for a rubber dome though. Knowing my luck, it'll still be there since it's a rubber dome, maybe I'll go play with it after work.

...but not as nice as the Fellowes-Microban Split Ergonomic!  :p

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 15:13:38 »
No I havent tried the Dell AT101R or the IBM Model M Rubber Dome version.

That Fellowes Microban Split Ergonomic looks nice.  I havent delved into ergonomic keyboards (yet)
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2015, 15:19:20 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:41:19 »
Ill post up the KeyTronic LifeTime Series Classic (made in Mexico) next.  One interesting thing about it is it's the highest force key depress keyboard I own.  They brag on the box about it being able to withstand 20 g's and still be operational (Saturn Rocket). Maybe that has something to do with it.

It's my least favorite of the Rubber Domes so far, including the Dell KB-1421.

It's whisper quiet though. One of the quietest of the bunch.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:27:29 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 08:47:45 »
I have had a couple of AT101Rs and thought that they were crap. But I was able to get $15 or so for them on ebay.

The original Microsoft Natural Keyboard (with inverted-T, not "+" arrow keys) seemed OK, I have tried them a couple of times but did not want to go through the effort of getting accustomed to the layout.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 09:04:43 »
From what I understand, Microsoft is known for producing keyboards with stiffer (higher force requirement) keyboards

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 09:25:22 »
Microsoft doesn't produce keyboards; they order them from actual OEMs. For example, the early MS Natural was made by Key Tronic (e.g., CIGE03786).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:02:04 »
Microsoft doesn't produce keyboards; they order them from actual OEMs. For example, the early MS Natural was made by Key Tronic (e.g., CIGE03786).

Yes, my first one was re-branded "Dell" on the front and "Microsoft" on the back.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 14:17:55 »
The only thing Microsoft produces is stolen ideas and XBox

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:09:43 »
I might pick up a 55g Royal Kludge RC930 Topre clone too. 

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:33:10 »
KeyTronic LifeTime Series Classic PS/2 (Made in Mexico)

The KeyTronic LifeTime Series Classic II is made in China. Should be the same keyboard & build quality.  I dont think you gain anything from looking for the Mexican made version.  Made in China Classic II is much easier to find (New in Box)

Pros

Build Quality is good, no creaking, some flex in twist test
Very quiet typing
Big Ass Enter Key w/Large Backspace and good compromise on Right Shift
Flip Out risers are very sturdy and grippy
Key feel is great with pleasing textured surface
Keys are well stablized. Off center strikes are smooth & quiet.
Good tactility to the key stroke.

Cons

Bottom of keyboard is not smooth & flat, structural diagnol plastic ribbing
Lack of two tone key set, I prefer grey & white
No cable management
Contrast on the legends isnt the best Ive seen

Neutral

85g force for key depress, I didnt find this to be a problem. Could be for some.
Pretty lightweight, no metal backplate.

This is my least favorite keyboard of the Rubber Dome bunch here. That being said, it isnt a bad keyboard, and I could be happy enough using it (but I dont have to). It's a good keyboard overall. I really like the Big Ass Enter configuration and the flip out feet are some of the best Ive encountered, very solid, positive click set, with grippy rubber on the ends.

The 85g force for a keypress is the highest Ive come across on the boards Ive assessed here. This is getting to the upper level of the classic research done by IBM on key weighting.  I think I prefer this to the IBM 8923 which tested the lowest force of just under 50g, but Im a heavy handed typer.

It's just a couple of little annoyances that I dont have to live with, like the lack of dual color keys and the ribbing underneath which is uncomfortable for lapping the keyboard.

KeyTronic claims tested to 20 million strokes & made to withstand 20g force and still function.

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2015, 18:38:59 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:16:25 »
Forgot to post this yesterday, but you would have an absolute field day up here in Columbia. So many vintage keyboards...all rubber domes. At least 10-12 old ones at the thrift store near me. Even found an Acer 6511 in Pelion. Very nice!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:43:25 »
Holy smokes!  An New in Box Apple M0116 just sold for $255!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:45:56 »
Forgot to post this yesterday, but you would have an absolute field day up here in Columbia. So many vintage keyboards...all rubber domes. At least 10-12 old ones at the thrift store near me. Even found an Acer 6511 in Pelion. Very nice!

Nice one!  Not many people appreciate a rubber dome anymore.

I dont care for the ones with all the media keys and stuff. Just straight IBM Model M style ANSI.

There are only a couple of more Im gunning for. A Chicony 5923/6923 and possibly a couple of Compaqs one being the RT101. Im curious about Maxi keyboards though. You dont see to many of them outside of Gateway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:52:11 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:53:31 »
Edited my previous post, in case you missed it.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:55:32 »
Holy smokes!  An New in Box Apple M0116 just sold for $255!

Not really sure why. They are great boards but not worth that much. Did it have Salmon or Orange Alps?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 20:58:46 »
It must have been the Apple Computer collectors, not the keyboard enthusiasts.

Im not sure, not stated in the auction, as regards salmon or orange Alps

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 21:02:10 »

I probably wont be acquiring a Dell AT101R or an IBM Model M Rubber Dome, cause they are so bulky. I like a smaller form factor.

Save the bulk for the vintage mechanical switches. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2015, 21:13:17 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 22:24:34 »
Not many people appreciate a rubber dome anymore.

I dont care for the ones with all the media keys and stuff. Just straight IBM Model M style ANSI.

That's always good for the fetishists such as yourself  8) .

When something isn't praised nor worshiped like IBM buckies or Thorpies in general, you can pick up your fave keyboards for cheap even on Ebay.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 22:51:11 »
I may be a bit spergy...  :p

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 23:12:16 »
Id be interested in any comments from readers about which rubber dome keyboards they find interesting (or like), either from the ones Ive presented here or some others.

Please share your thoughts.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 23:44:57 »
I think the nicest I've used is probably the Logitech G105 I used to have. The backlighting was nice but then I dove head first into mechanical keyboards and haven't looked back. I personally find that Brown Cherries feel like rubber dome and Topre (which is technically rubber dome) feels overall "meh". It has a nice feel to it, but not worth anywhere near the $200 most of them go for.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 23:47:32 »
The Sun Type 5c keyboard looks interesting.

Edit: Meh, proprietary connector plug.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2015, 00:17:17 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 23:55:25 »
I think the nicest I've used is probably the Logitech G105 I used to have. The backlighting was nice but then I dove head first into mechanical keyboards and haven't looked back. I personally find that Brown Cherries feel like rubber dome and Topre (which is technically rubber dome) feels overall "meh". It has a nice feel to it, but not worth anywhere near the $200 most of them go for.

Cool. Those Logitech gaming rubber dome keyboards were very popular over the past 10 years or so.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 09:58:03 »
I had a Compaq (I think it was numbered SK2800 but I may be wrong) with rubberized media keys and I really liked it. I think they called it the "internet keyboard" and it was made in the very early 2000s. I used one for several years and even bought a couple of backups when I found them cheap or free, but after I got back into mechanicals about 5 years ago and started using keyboard shortcuts extensively, I left them behind.

I still love "rubbery" key caps for certain keys, but they can't wear well for often-used keys.

ps - if you get one of these you will have to find a driver to wake up the extra keys. I think I still have it if you can't find it.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 22:34:06 »
The I-Rocks K10 & K20 seem like really high quality rubber domes, with slider plungers.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 00:02:28 »
Anyobdy used a Kensington Keyboard for Life?  Ive a sneaking suspicion they are made by KeyTronic OEM

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 15:52:37 »
KeyTronic E03601E made in June 1992 branded Target. Looks like a EuroTech/Designer model.  Has the nice flip out feet of the LifeTime Series Classic, plus some of the plastic structural ribbing on the underside.  No cable management. Body rises on the backside giving height to the Function keys as it rises from bottom row to top row.

Very quiet keyboard. Similar design to the key actuation as the LifeTime Classic above. Big Ass Enter key with small Backspace. The Eurotech & Designer models offer Big Ass Enter and One Row Enter variations.  Not much flex in the twist test and not much creaking. Stabilization of the larger keys is OK but Ive seen better.  The keys feel good with a pleasant texture and crisp high contrast legends. Good tactility to the key depress. Seems like a higher force key depress like the LifeTime Classic, though I havent given it the nickel test.

It's an OK keyboard.

Pics coming soon...

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2015, 16:01:25 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 19:10:40 »
KeyTronics E03601E (Early EuroTech/Designer) 1992

Offline novice1

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 16:49:56 »
I found a KeyTronic KT2000 series brand new in a box at work today.
Let's see if I can keep it heh.
Measuring force for key depress using the nickel method.  Within 5g below stated weight.

85g KeyTronics LifeTime Series Classic (Made in Mexico)
65g Acer AccuFeel 6311-TW
65g Dell QuietKey RT7D6JTW (Thailand)
60g Dell KB-1421
55g NMB RT6856TW
50g IBM KB-8923

Hi. I use the KeyTronic Classic Lifetime and like it a lot. I did order a KB-8923 because I could not resist :). Anyway, the Keytronic website has a map of the various forces for the keys.  Most of the letters have a force of 35g, and the "outside" ones are 40g.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 19:41:05 »
Ill recheck my KeyTronic LifeTime Classic, but I dont thinks it's ErgoForce.

Offline novice1

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 20:31:55 »

Hi. I use the KeyTronic Classic Lifetime and like it a lot. I did order a KB-8923 because I could not resist :). Anyway, the Keytronic website has a map of the various forces for the keys.  Most of the letters have a force of 35g, and the "outside" ones are 40g.
[/quote]

I got the numbers reversed.  Most of the letters and numbers are 45g, and a few of the outside letters are 35g.
How do these rubber domes compare to the Noppoo EC108-Pro?
Thanks

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 21:14:00 »
The I-Rocks K10 & K20 seem like really high quality rubber domes, with slider plungers.

Just purchased the K20 because it's TKL.  Could only buy it off Gmarket because they actually do ship their goods to Convict Town  :thumb: .

Hungry to try some decent membrane after drowning in CherryMX and Thorpies, for all these years.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 22:17:52 »
I can recommend the Dell KB-1421 too.

I highly recommend the Logitech UltraX, but hard to find in USB if that's an issue.  (I have several available for sale cause I had to buy a case of them..LOL)

Offline poopmat

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 22:54:06 »
i use a quietkey at work. i rather like it.
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline theryaner

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 05:20:55 »
I've spent a lot of time using the IBM KB-8923 and the Dell QuietKey and I'm not sure if it was just my model but the IBM was really, really mushy. The QuietKey was extremely pleasant to type on and the tactile bump has not gone away with extended use. Definitely one of my favorites.