Author Topic: Dell QuietKey question  (Read 2736 times)

Offline macguy80

Dell QuietKey question
« on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 02:40:32 »
Am I correct that general consensus, as far as the Dell QuietKeys go,  says that the RT7D5JTW is superior to any of the Silitek versions?

Years ago when I owned one, I did not know that more than one variant existed (and I certainly didn't know of any sites like GH to tell me otherwise.)

I'm sure the one I had was a Silitek, as it was identical to the Silitek one I used at work, in feel and sound.

Thanks!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Re: Dell QuietKey question
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 02:57:30 »
Yes. Look for the ones made in Thailand (not Malaysia)

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 03:04:11 »
Thanks! How does it compare to your NMB RT6856TW in terms of feel and sound? I imagine pretty similar since both are NMB rubber domes? Do you have a preference of the two? My only experience is the RT6656TW, so far.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 15:38:21 »
Thanks! How does it compare to your NMB RT6856TW in terms of feel and sound? I imagine pretty similar since both are NMB rubber domes? Do you have a preference of the two? My only experience is the RT6656TW, so far.

Just a note. There are RT6656TW and RT6856TW models. I have the RT6856TW and it just came in today.

Judging by the weight the RT6856TW has a steel base plate which is nice. The Dell may not have one as it's noticeably lighter than the IBM 8923 and the NMB RT6856TW.

Im gonna say I like the NMB RT6856TW better than both the Dell Quietkey and the IBM 8923. This is why.

I like the smoother keycaps of the IBM & NMB. They fell better. The NMB RT6856TW being slightly more textured than the IBM 8923...and the Dell being much more textured than both of them.

The IBM KB-8923 feels a bit spongey-er than the Dell RT7D5JTW and the NMB RT6856TW when bottoming out the keys. The NMB and the Dell have very similar tactility in their key depresses. Maybe using the same or similar parts as they are both made by NMB (in Thailand).

So in my limited experience, I would say the NMB fixes what I found slightly annoying on the Dell QuietKey and also has better build quality with the metal base plate.

One more thing the NMB here has a more pronounced curve of the from bottom row to top row looking at the keyboard from the side than either the Dell Quiet Key or the IBM 8923. The Dell has a flatter case than the IBM but the keys have similar mild curvature to the IBM, maybe just a tad less.

Also of note is that the bottom row Control/Alt/Windows/Fn keys are normal concave key caps on the NMB (and IBM) while the dell has convex key caps which match the profile of the space bar. I prefer the normal concave style key caps.

The space bar on the NMB RT6856TW is a bit more squarish on the edge than the Dell...with the IBM 8923 in between. I like the more rounded space bar.

The Delete key is in an odd place place on the NMB. It has been switched with the +/= key.  WTF!

I like the NMB RT6856TW better than both the Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW and the IBM-8923. But I could use any of them without complaint.

What I like about the NMB RT6856TW over the Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW...

1. Less rough surface texture on the top of the keys.
2. More curved (rising from bottom row to top row) profile
3. Bottom row keycaps are standard concave instead of the Dell's convex.
4. Weighs more, indicating a metal base plate.
5. Key legends are a bit more contrasty and thus easily read (but the IBM trumps both here)

What I like about the Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW over the NMB RT6856TW

1. Space bar is more rounded. NMB has a more squarish edge.  (with IBM in between)
2. Delete Key is in standard position. NMB has it switched with +/= keys normal position.

What I like about both the Dell & the NMB

1. Tactility of the key depress is good (and very similar)
2. Dual colored Pearl & Pebble IBM M style key layout

Hope that helps.

PS- I wonder what the difference is between the RT6656TW and the RT6856TW, maybe the same keyboard but the 66 version ditched the metal base plate to save costs? 

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:17:34 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:10:43 »
Edited post to add detail and more information.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:16:47 »
I wonder if the Delete & +/= key are just switched by a previous user. Ill have to wait for my Belkin adapters to get here.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:23:46 »
Thanks for your advice. I don't know what the difference between the 6656 and 6856 is, having only used the former. There is a video of the 6656 at:

Does the 6856 sound the same? Similar?

I think you'll see in the video has a more standard layout with regard to the delete key that you reported about the 6856.

I can't remember how much the 6656 weighed.

Also, I pm'ed you a question about your Apple Extended Keyboard II

Thanks!

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:33:22 »
Yeah, I just think a previous user switched positions of the keycaps and used remapping software. 

Id say stick with the RT6656TW or maybe try the RT6856TW.  It's a good keyboard. The RT6656TW is rebranded a lot...especially common are Compaq versions of it.  Should be able to pick up some spares on the cheap.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:59:51 »
Hey I posted pics of the NMB RT6856TW in the Vintage Rubber Dome Thread, if you are interested.