Author Topic: Apple ADB-compatible cables for $1  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Apple ADB-compatible cables for $1
« on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 18:59:39 »
Limit of 2, already bought some myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261733529685
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Apple ADB-compatible cables for $1
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:01:35 »
Cool. That is cheaper than thrift store prices, delivered to your door!
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:04:31 »
Cool. That is cheaper than thrift store prices, delivered to your door!

I found one for $1 at a thrift store the yesterday thinking I got a super bargain then last night I found these for the same price.  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 03:13:40 »
At $.99, I don't know how they can afford to offer free shipping.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 03:16:00 »
A seller that big I'm sure has special arrangements with one of the couriers, either UPS or FedEx. High-quantity shipping customers get some outrageous deals compared to the rest of us.   :-X

Offline 1391406

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 07:56:45 »
A seller that big I'm sure has special arrangements with one of the couriers, either UPS or FedEx. High-quantity shipping customers get some outrageous deals compared to the rest of us.   :-X

The only way I can see them making a profit is if the carrier is charging pennies on the dollar.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 08:16:24 »
The only way I can see them making a profit

At my post office, a minimum first-class package of something like a cable in a small bubble envelope is $2.32
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 08:37:04 »
The only way I can see them making a profit

At my post office, a minimum first-class package of something like a cable in a small bubble envelope is $2.32

And they just increased the rate to $2.54 recently.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 13:10:25 »
Ships to: USA

Goddammit. I see this way too often. How unprofessional >.> .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 14:57:21 »
If you need some, I'd be willing to ship internationally to whomever for the $0.99 price + shipping. You can probably find it cheaper in your own country though.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 22:31:34 »

It is actually a pain to ship anything elsewhere. Said breaks that they would be getting on shipping would not be there anymore when shipped internationally. At least not to the same degree. It doesn't help that it is always like 25-40% less in shipping to have something mailed TO the united states than it is to mail FROM the united states, for someone randomly walking into a shipping place.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 06:49:00 »

It is actually a pain to ship anything elsewhere. Said breaks that they would be getting on shipping would not be there anymore when shipped internationally. At least not to the same degree. It doesn't help that it is always like 25-40% less in shipping to have something mailed TO the united states than it is to mail FROM the united states, for someone randomly walking into a shipping place.
What does it matter? For both it's just a trip to the post office, and if the customer is willing to pay for the postage, what's the problem? Poor merchant skills, I'd say.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 06:54:40 »
I don't know if it is the same on both ends, or if the pinouts change between ends, but the ADB connector is the exact same plug as S-video.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 07:12:11 »
I have used S-video cables on Apple keyboards for years.

I can understand cheap cables from China where the shipping is paid on the Chinese end at deeply manipulated rates, but the minimum for me to send that small packet from my PO is about 2-1/2 dollars in the US and at least 6 dollars international.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 08:30:12 »
I have used S-video cables on Apple keyboards for years.

I can understand cheap cables from China where the shipping is paid on the Chinese end at deeply manipulated rates, but the minimum for me to send that small packet from my PO is about 2-1/2 dollars in the US and at least 6 dollars international.

This is true, though I just wasn't sure if people were aware of this and wanting to make other options aware of.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:10:41 »
Yeah the cable I linked is S-Video, it's not technically ADB. :P

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 15:58:22 »
I figure that video cables are probably manufactured to significantly higher electrical standards than mere keyboard cables.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 16:56:05 »

What does it matter? For both it's just a trip to the post office, and if the customer is willing to pay for the postage, what's the problem? Poor merchant skills, I'd say.

That much is true. However ebay wants you to immediately state what the exact shipping is, and I have no way to know that. I don't have a scale or anything, nor do I even package whatever it is beforehand. Granted I'm not a company. Besides, I've also not actually had anyone be willing to pay for shipping out of the country, even after getting an accurate quote.

I figure that video cables are probably manufactured to significantly higher electrical standards than mere keyboard cables.

They are, I looked it up once, and IIRC S-Video cables are capable of something like double the bandwidth compared to an actual ADB cable. So you couldn't do the opposite and use and ADB as an S-Video.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 16:57:37 »
Will I need another converter to get this to work on my PC?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 17:18:51 »
If you aren't using an old school Mac with an ADB port you need either Hasu's controller with Arduino/Teensy or the Griffin iMate.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 17:46:35 »
If you aren't using an old school Mac with an ADB port you need either Hasu's controller with Arduino/Teensy or the Griffin iMate.
:( thanks

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 21:35:38 »
The iMate isn't terribly expensive, it's just that there are somewhat less things to use with it. But yeah. I thought it was worth it though.