Author Topic: Is it possible to make an external converter for an IBM 6112884?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Coin-op Adjutant

• Official Toga Llama
So I just got one of the IBM 611288 keyboards from the Ebay auction.  (Incidentally, this is the first linear I've actually liked!)

I've been googling furiously to figure out the pinout for the 9-pin connector on this thing to wire up a Teensy, and I wanted to keep the old cable while I'm at it.  The closest I could get is this: the page on the 4704 converter and the page on the keyboard itself, so I at least have an idea how to do it internally if push comes to shove.

Problem is, I'm still not so confident on the pinouts for the connector itself.  This is a 9-pin D-sub, correct?  If that's the case, I know the ground is position 5 and...that's about it.  There's only 4 wires on this thing, and the ground leaves 3, but Soarer's diagram had a LOT more wired directly to the Teensy board.  (To make a point, I'm not even sure which of the remaining ones would correspond to the VCC pinout...)

Can the 4 pins still do the trick via external connector --> Teensy, or does doing it externally not work?

EDIT: fixing grammar, etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2015, 20:46:35 by Coin-op Adjutant »
KEYBOARDS OWNED:
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (MX Blues)  ||  CM Storm QuickFire TK (MX Blues) || Model F XT (Capacitive buckling spring, repaired and spray-painted black) || Leopold FC660C (Topre 45g, white/gray dyesub)

MICE/OTHER PERIPHERALS OWNED:
Logitech G9X (x2)  ||  Razer Deathadder 2013  ||  CM Storm Spawn  ||  Razer Sabertooth  ||  Hori Fighting Stick VX (360/PC)  ||  CM Storm Reaper

Offline Parak

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: Is it possible to make an external converter for an IBM 6112884?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 23:25:01 »
Soarer's converter maps weird versions of the XT/AT protocol to USB.

Soarer's Controller scans the matrix directly; it replaces the processor inside the keyboard.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Is it possible to make an external converter for an IBM 6112884?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 08:09:00 »
Oh no, does that mean that if you flash your teensy with the wrong thing, it will not work?

I think I've flashed my Atmegas with Soarer's Controller 1.20 rather than Soarer's Converter 1.10, resulting in none of my Atmegas working with my Model Fs. (Whereas my teensies work fine with my Model Fs.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.