Author Topic: Suggestions on a New Keyboard  (Read 3244 times)

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
Suggestions on a New Keyboard
« on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 00:45:13 »
Hey guys, I'm a new member to the community and any help would be appreciated! Upgrading to a new keyboard, just wondering what is a good mix between gaming and typing. Have already had a look on MechKB, any other websites are based in Australia would be sweet (postage). Was looking at the Deck Hassium Pro w/ cherry MX reds, also saw a cheaper previous model that has DS PBT while the pro only has ABS, as far as durability is concerned which would be the better choice/ are there any better choice(s)

Cheers, adept  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2015, 00:52:14 by adept »

Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL // Cherry MX Red

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Suggestions on a New Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 01:01:02 »
Hi! and welcome!

First thing first, you might wanna find out which switch suits you most (linear/clicky/tactile)
than you would go from there to the heaviness, if you like it linear and heavy go for blacks, but if blacks are too heavy go for red

and from there you would look for form factor, TKL?60%?full size?
and than backlit or no backlit

after you get those thing sorted, than we can talk budget
I assume you live in Australia? if yes I think http://pccasegear.com/ is your best bet

Lastly, different keycaps profile and materials would give you different typing experience. But let's decide on the board for now
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 01:05:38 »
Despite what everyone on reddit (not specifically referring to /r/mk but there are some there who do it too) would have you believe, there is no switch for that is best for gaming, best for typing, etc. It's what is best for you. Above poster pretty much covered the rest of what you need to consider.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 01:14:24 »
Thanks for your speedy reply. I previously had a board w/ blue switches which I didn't really like while gaming. I'm sorta tossing and turning between red and brown switches though i've seen alot of hate towards brown switches. In reagards to typing for extended periods of time, how do the reds hold upto the brown switches? With regards to sizing of keyboards, it doesn't really bother me though i've never used a 60% keyboard before, it doesn't hurt to try. I've been looking here http://www.mechkb.com/, at their poker II's but they didn't have any in stock.

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 01:18:38 »
I see, though i'd rather a lower actuation force than the mx blue's so blacks and clears are completely out of the picture. My biggest concern is how the mx reds will handle long periods of typing, have you guys typed for long periods with both these switches?

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 01:29:49 »
I see, though i'd rather a lower actuation force than the mx blue's so blacks and clears are completely out of the picture. My biggest concern is how the mx reds will handle long periods of typing, have you guys typed for long periods with both these switches?

I personally would use nothing but clicky switches, whether gaming or typing
so it's all personal preference. I even know one guy who can only game with blucking spring boards

in that case, go with MX Reds and if in the long term you want something more customized you can go and swap the spring to something more heavy but not as heavy as black

I would also suggest go for TKL (or even 60% though it's risky) since you do game
this way your right hand would only travel less distance between the board and mouse compared to having full size board; that since a numpad would create more distance when your right hand move from mouse to let say enter key (more fatiguing)

QFR is an OK choice if you've tight budget
http://www.mechkb.com/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-stealth-mechanical-keyboard
or this ducky zero
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113_1361&products_id=22484

but if you want a solid and budget isn't a problem, find a Leopold (PBT) or KUL

ever give topre a try? I dont fancy them but people who love topre, dedicated their life to them

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline julayyy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:17:39 »
I have a CM Storm TK with Cherry MX Red and it was amazing to both game with and type. 

What type of game do you play? Depending on what keys you use when you game, it can help determine what size keyboard you need.  As of right now, I only play League of legend so I only use a few keys so no need for F rows or any macro keys for me.  Ended up switching to a 60% Cherry MX Clear just to try it out and according to some website I was looking at, they said it was good for both gaming and typing which I agree on but if you're playing a game when you have to constantly tap your keys like CS or some FPS game, stick with reds since the actuation point is 45g and clears are 55g.  Clears are actually quite stiff and heavy to use but since league doesn't require constant key smashing then it was fine for me
QuickfireTK MX Reds         v60 mini MX Clears

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:26:46 »
I have a CM Storm TK with Cherry MX Red and it was amazing to both game with and type. 

What type of game do you play? Depending on what keys you use when you game, it can help determine what size keyboard you need.  As of right now, I only play League of legend so I only use a few keys so no need for F rows or any macro keys for me.  Ended up switching to a 60% Cherry MX Clear just to try it out and according to some website I was looking at, they said it was good for both gaming and typing which I agree on but if you're playing a game when you have to constantly tap your keys like CS or some FPS game, stick with reds since the actuation point is 45g and clears are 55g.  Clears are actually quite stiff and heavy to use but since league doesn't require constant key smashing then it was fine for me

Yea, I play alot of CS:GO and my fingers get tiresome when I play long sessions. Topre switches just aren't for me  :)), though I really want to get a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL though that price  :eek:. I really couldn't care less w/ back lighting and would prefer to get a Filco and replace the keys with blank DS PBT just for the extra durability and being less prone to that shine. The Clears are just for hands heavier than mine so I might go with the browns just for that tactile feedback when typing.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:34:25 »
Yea, I play alot of CS:GO and my fingers get tiresome when I play long sessions. Topre switches just aren't for me  :)), though I really want to get a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL though that price  :eek:. I really couldn't care less w/ back lighting and would prefer to get a Filco and replace the keys with blank DS PBT just for the extra durability and being less prone to that shine. The Clears are just for hands heavier than mine so I might go with the browns just for that tactile feedback when typing.

Some people love browns but some people (me included) think they just feel like scratchy reds. The bump isn't very pronounced.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:38:53 »

Some people love browns but some people (me included) think they just feel like scratchy reds. The bump isn't very pronounced.

hmm, thanks for that, something to think about I guess. Mind if I asked what your main keyboard and favorite switch is?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:42:52 »
The Keycool in my sig is my main board, but favorite switch would be a tie between Kailh Blue, Alps SKCM Blue, and SMK Blue.

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:48:50 »
The Keycool in my sig is my main board, but favorite switch would be a tie between Kailh Blue, Alps SKCM Blue, and SMK Blue.

Ah, I see. Cool  :cool:

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:52:01 »
people love to hate on browns, i like them. would i buy another board with them? no. but if you are liking lighter springs, i'd stay with red or brown as stated above. browns do have a tiny bump that will wear down over time and appear as a scratchy red as people say. but for me, reds are wayyyy to light to be usable for me. my friend has one that i've played a few games on, and they are so light i cant have my hand idling anywhere near the keys, or they will activate.

Edit: My first keyboard was a Filco TKL w/ browns. If you are thinking about filco and weary with the price, i'd just jump on it. you wouldn't be saving /that/ much money and i think it would pay off in the long run.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:54:39 by fknraiden »

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline julayyy

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:54:58 »

I actually had a QFR Stealth with Browns but I hated it so I ended up returning it.  It's weird because I thought I would love it since I love typing and thought the tactile bump would be amazing but I don't know. It made me misclick and lowered my wpm =\ Decided to give mechanical keyboard another try and went with red this time even though I didn't really want it because it was a linear switch but it was on sale so I got the cm storm TK with reds and fell in love with it.  I was fine typing with it and gaming with it. 

So I had that keyboard for a year and by staying on geekhack for too long, I was really interesting on Cherry MX clears and just last went took the plunge and bought a kbparadise v60 mini to try out the clears and i wanted to try a 60% keyboard even though I though they were stupid when I first saw them.  The 60% is pretty awesome since I don't use all the other key and it feels nice having the mouse closer. The clears is something I need to get use to but I'm liking it so far. 

Don't know if this help narrow down your choice but if you don't like the keyboard that you bought, you can always resell it because they still go for a pretty good price here or reddit.

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:55:27 »
people love to hate on browns, i like them. would i buy another board with them? no. but if you are liking lighter springs, i'd stay with red or brown as stated above. browns do have a tiny bump that will wear down over time and appear as a scratchy red as people say. but for me, reds are wayyyy to light to be usable for me. my friend has one that i've played a few games on, and they are so light i cant have my hand idling anywhere near the keys, or they will activate.

Don't the browns and red take the same amount of to actuate?, I though the tactile bump was the only difference between switches.

Offline julayyy

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 03:59:38 »

Edit: My first keyboard was a Filco TKL w/ browns. If you are thinking about filco and weary with the price, i'd just jump on it. you wouldn't be saving /that/ much money and i think it would pay off in the long run.

^funny/ironic because when I had browns, browns were wayyyyy to light for me and I couldn't type on it and then switched to red and they were perfect for me x]

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 04:05:12 »

Don't the browns and red take the same amount of to actuate?, I though the tactile bump was the only difference between switches.
yes, but with the bump, i feel, and correct me if im wrong someone, that it is "harder" to press down than reds because of the extra hump you need to press through.

^funny/ironic because when I had browns, browns were wayyyyy to light for me and I couldn't type on it and then switched to red and they were perfect for me x]

crazy, i guess what works for you works. i just had a different experience.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline julayyy

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 05:22:54 »

crazy, i guess what works for you works. i just had a different experience.
[/quote]

Just shows how everyone have different preferences on keyswitches x] just have to try them to figure out which one is for you

So far I tried red, brown, blues and now clears.  I like blue a lot but they're just way too loud since I play games at night and skype call with friends so can't use blue unless I want to annoy everyone.

Maybe one day when I'm rich and famous I can test out all the other switches

Offline Stargorn

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 07:15:32 »
From reading all the different preferences people have, I doubt that anyone will be able to tell you what you'll like. You need to try some out and see for yourself. For what it's worth, I really enjoy gaming and typing on cherry mx reds.

1987 IBM Model M (1391401),  Apple M0110A (Mitsumi Type 1),  Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (White Monterey),  Ducky Mini YoTH (MX Reds),  Ducky Zero TKL (MX Blues)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 10:30:26 »
Don't even have to be rich to try them all out, I usually get my boards for $35 or less on Ebay, usually by people that don't know they have mechanicals.

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 06:05:19 »
Yey! Thanks for all the replies and contributions made by everyone here, I have gone with a Filco MJ2 TKL w/ red switches, jeez it's expensive.. Anyway, it's in the post and can't wait to try it out! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 06:06:18 »
Filco is one of the more expensive keyboards, but they are as solid as.  Should last you for years!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline adept

• Crying wallets
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 06:11:10 »
Filco is one of the more expensive keyboards, but they are as solid as.  Should last you for years!

Haha, yep that's one of the many great reasons to buy a Filco ;), didn't go with the extra cover for damaged goods in transit but maybe i'm just to anxious to get it in my hands  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 05:37:07 »

Haha, yep that's one of the many great reasons to buy a Filco ;), didn't go with the extra cover for damaged goods in transit but maybe i'm just to anxious to get it in my hands  :))

99% of keyboards arrive completely fine.  Most bought from new are in reasonable boxes, and most good retailers will pack that box inside another box with bits of foam around it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline julayyy

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:08:28 »
Yey! Thanks for all the replies and contributions made by everyone here, I have gone with a Filco MJ2 TKL w/ red switches, jeez it's expensive.. Anyway, it's in the post and can't wait to try it out! :)

hopefully you love it!  :thumb: