Author Topic: Hi! I just bought my first mechanical keyboard and it is AWESOME  (Read 3120 times)

Offline LoverofPi

• Hey there!
Hi everybody!
I just bought my first keyboard (Kul ES-87) after a couple months of waiting and lurking and WOW. My only regret is that I didn't pull the trigger sooner. Typing is such a breeze and just feels so much nicer than the chiclet type keyboard I was using on my ThinkPad. Anyways, glad to be here and hope to get to know all of y'all better!
Current Keyboard: Kul ES-87 with MX Blues

Pre-order: Backlit Pok3r with MX Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi! I just bought my first mechanical keyboard and it is AWESOME
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 05:46:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A great choice for your first mech :)  It's amazing how we manage to go so long without a proper keyboard :))

Which switches did you get?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LoverofPi

• Hey there!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 04:57:46 »
Sorry about the super late reply! I got Cherry MX Blue switches. Although now, I'm thinking of getting a keycap set for them since I'm not a fan of the ABS plastic.

Offline sami77

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 05:45:18 »
welcome to geekhack

nice keyboard u have ,  i got same model but Cherry Black
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 05:55:21 by sami77 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:44:54 »
Sorry about the super late reply! I got Cherry MX Blue switches. Although now, I'm thinking of getting a keycap set for them since I'm not a fan of the ABS plastic.

No worries :)

ABS is well and good, particularly in thick keycaps like GMK, but the thin ones provided by many keyboard manufacturers almost seem to be asking to be replaced.

Fortunately the number of PBT replacement sets is always increasing :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:58:55 »
Welcome to GH. The universe of key caps for Cherry mx is large and varied. Have fun!

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 20:30:27 »
greetings from a nubie,
good choice for you first mech keyboard, I think you should try to replace it with PBT Leopold , they feel comfortable and solid

Offline krbuck

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 08:06:59 »
Welcome to GH; I'm relatively new as well. Great choice.

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 22:37:26 »
now get a topre
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline kohi

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 01:30:21 »
now get a topre
^ and welcome to geekhack~

Offline LoverofPi

• Hey there!
Another keyboard so soon!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 22:38:10 »
Oh goodness. So it's been a good couple of months with my ES-87, but I just pre-ordered another keyboard: the backlit Pok3r. Why are keyboards so addicting... This hobby will not be good for my wallet :'( :'( :'(

Offline LoverofPi

• Hey there!
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 22:40:40 »
now get a topre
^ and welcome to geekhack~

I think I'll let my wallet get a bit fatter before I experience the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:55:52 »
Oh goodness. So it's been a good couple of months with my ES-87, but I just pre-ordered another keyboard: the backlit Pok3r. Why are keyboards so addicting... This hobby will not be good for my wallet :'( :'( :'(

Did you order another keyboard to try a different switch?  That's always a good excuse ;)

Offline LoverofPi

• Hey there!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 23:21:26 »

Did you order another keyboard to try a different switch?  That's always a good excuse ;)

Hahah. I got the Pok3r with MX Clears so I guess I subconciously did. Pretty soon, I'll be getting into the world of ergonomic KB's, topre, and the slippery slope of custom keyboards  :eek:

Offline boTy

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 03:48:07 »
That's a great choice, nice board! I think you'll like it here :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:07:51 »

Hahah. I got the Pok3r with MX Clears so I guess I subconciously did. Pretty soon, I'll be getting into the world of ergonomic KB's, topre, and the slippery slope of custom keyboards  :eek:

That is a very slippery slope indeed!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:17:32 »
That's a KUL story bro. No kidding that board is awesome and welcome to GH