Author Topic: Are Dvorak keyboards coming to a smartphone near you?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline cherrybomb

Offline o2dazone

Are Dvorak keyboards coming to a smartphone near you?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 22:26:06 »
Different key layouts for portable devices really lose their appeal when you're typing with just your thumbs

Offline mech

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 07:11:15 »
Apparently the people who make the Frogpad are trying to get their technology written as an alternate keyboard for multitouch smartphones like the iPhone.  They based their layout on Dvorak.  That sort of thing would be useful.  I wouldn't mind having a Dvorak layout on a smartphone, because that's what I'm familiar with, but ultimately even an ABC layout is probably simpler for thumbing and, if you run it through a key layout ergonomics calculator (finger travel etc.), it still beats QWERTY...

BS: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989) & Lexmark-made IBM Model M from 1991
Cherry MX Blue: Das Keyboard II/G80
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W (2)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 08:20:53 »
Quote from: o2dazone;121332
Different key layouts for portable devices really lose their appeal when you're typing with just your thumbs

QFT. I mean, when I am typing with my thumbs, I could type just as fast with an ABCDE... layout as I could with a QWERTY. This is kinda of silly, IMO. Seriously, look how fast kids text with the ridiculous phone keypad. I don't think layouts mean jack on a phone.

Offline mech

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 09:15:19 »
I really like T9 prediction, actually.  I think someone who uses a numpad + a T9 app backed with a large dictionary could become at least as fast as a touch typist.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 18:40:51 »
I suppose if you're familiar with a certain layout, and you've untrained your brain (or perhaps never learned) QWERTY, it could be valuable. But I can't imagine switching layouts for becoming faster at txtn ur bffs will do you any good.

There's a third party app for Windows Mobile since 2004 that lets you swap keyboard layouts. Although the OP might be considered "new news" again since the inception of faster, more interesting smartphones like iPhone, Android, Dream, etc.

*queue Windows & Smart in adjacent sentences jokes here*

Offline mech

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 October 2009, 15:03:31 »
I wasn't implying that you would want to switch from touch typing to T9 - just that today's youth, unaccustomed to full keyboards but well practiced txtn their bffs, may get pretty respectable speeds from T9.  I would guess that people who abbreviate aggressively probably aren't using T9 phones; it's just not necessary on them.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 October 2009, 21:37:14 »
er sorry, I should have quoted itlnstln, I didn't mean to insinuate I was directing that toward you :)

Offline justin

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 12:24:10 »
Speaking as someone who actually uses and swears by Dvorak, I absolutely want my smartphone to use it too. Of course, it is true that layouts mean almost nothing when typing with just your thumbs, but it's the mind that counts. To be able to speed type on any layout, your mind needs to have that layout firmly ingrained. I can still type pretty fast on my iPhone (faster than the average Joe), but find it irritating to have to mentally switch layouts every time I use it. Having Dvorak on my iPhone would eliminate all that mental switching, which would be nice.

Offline mech

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 12:31:40 »
Oh, I agree.  I at least want the option to switch to an alphabetic layout, if not Dvorak.  I would rather use T9 than QWERTY.  When I have to type on the Wii (no snickering!) I always switch the on-screen keyboard to numeric+prediction rather than use that QWERTY junk.