Author Topic: Bitten by the bug  (Read 2088 times)

Offline roadblock2thesun

Bitten by the bug
« on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 01:18:50 »
I found this forum while attempting to build my own keyboard...

I am still working on that project which currently consists of 87 black alps torn from a Dell at101 partial wired together...

I have spent the last five days agonizing over what keyboard I am going to buy, I didnt even need one when I found this site. I have just entered a transaction with brian at elite keyboards... His communication was top notch, and I cant wait to get my hands on that filco zero tenkeyless...

To save money I ordered one of the blemished boards... I'll let you all know just how blemished it is...

I was torn between ordering this or the HHKB lite 2... The hhkb lite has some nice features, but I really like the dedicated gross movement keys of the filco... maybe I'll order the HHKB later any way...

Offline msiegel

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 01:32:14 »
welcome, roadblock! :)

if you stay around here for long, may find yourself with more keyboards than you bargained for XD

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline InSanCen

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 04:18:04 »
Quote from: msiegel;121348
welcome, roadblock! :)

if you stay around here for long, may find yourself with more keyboards than you bargained for XD

QFT!

I was more than happy with 2 M's until I found this place... I am now acquiring ALPS boards at a rate of knots.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline roadblock2thesun

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 07:30:00 »
Disaster has struck even before the keyboard has arrived...

I assumed when I saw blemished that it was the same version as the one above (as listed on elitekeyboards) and came with the much lauded fukkas... The b-stock version comes with XM keyswitches, which from my reading are the worst alps fakes (correct me if i'm wrong please).  I am a novice to mechanical keyboards and so probably wont know the difference, however, I'm worried that I will be dissapointed with the XM's...

Offline bigpook

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 07:44:43 »
Yes, the b stock keyboards come with the XM switches. You really want the fukka's. The best use for a b stock keyboard is to translplant some other switch. The black alps would be a good choice.

The XM's are actually quite terrible, I found them to be balky to the point they wore my fingers out. YMMV of course, but I would not be surprised if you were disappointed.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline roadblock2thesun

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 07:55:14 »
By transplant do you mean desolder and attach a full new switch assembly or just change out the sliders and click leaves?

Offline itlnstln

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 08:02:07 »
With the XMs, I'm pretty sure you'll have to resolder.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Bitten by the bug
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 08:45:35 »
Wow...ALPS are dangerous...
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline bigpook

Bitten by the bug
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 11:52:50 »
resolder. I had a filco with XM's. I removed them and put in black alps that I got out of a NIB dell.
Turned out very well. Alot of  work though,
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII