Author Topic: DAC or New Cans?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline chuckster

DAC or New Cans?
« on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 14:59:32 »
Hi all, I listen to music primarily through my PC or on the go with my Galaxy S5. I have AT ATH-M50's that are a few years old but going strong. I really want to step up and see how much better my music can sound (it's all FLAC direct from CD, so no worries there), and I was wondering whether I should just get a DAC (I'd like a portable one, but if the desktops blow them away, I can give up some quality while traveling), or invest in a higher-end set of headphones like the AKG 701's or some Sennheisers, (or anything else you guys recommend.

I will eventually upgrade the cans anyway, but that represents a much bigger chuck of change than a DAC. I'd like to stay within a $250 budget for the DAC or a $500 for the new headphones.

So TL;DR, will I get higher quality sound plugging some higher-end headphones that the M50's, or from pairing them with a DAC? I go through an old soundcard right now, but I don't think it acts as a DAC.

Offline Sniping

Re: DAC or New Cans?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 15:20:22 »
New headphones for sure.

Offline chuckster

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 16:41:56 »
Thanks Sniping, did you try a DAC and not get a major improvement, or are you just a fan of another pair of headphones? I'd love any recommendations for an upgrade.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 16:55:09 »
Hard to say, depends how decent your current soundcard is, I guess. All soundcards do the function of a DAC, converting a digital signal to analogue (DAC=Digital to Analogue Converter), but they vary greatly in quality of chip used, grounding and shielding, noise, etc.

One problem you may have with a top notch set of 'phones is your sound card may struggle to drive them if they're higher impedence. A good protable DAC can make a huge difference in terms of separation and clarity, but the ATH-M50's can still be a touch muddy and bass-oriented.

I'd recommend aiming to get both, and maybe start with the DAC, but I'd probably stay away from the K701's. They will sound a lot more "open" than your M50's, but they lack richness in the mids and have a good deal less bass than the M50's, so they will sound very different to what you're used to with those (not sure if you're looking for a similar sound signature or not, though).

I'd recommend researching more or even posting a thread over at Head-Fi (head-fi.org). Ehile there are certainly some knowledgable audio gurus here on GH, there are a lot more people with experience over there.

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 18:12:49 »
Buy HiFiMan 400i... not great to take on the go because if you're on the go you realllly shouldn't take fullsized headphones, but they will work (sounding tight) off of a phone, PC, and the nice systems.

Open Box for - $425

Then take a few months and save up for an Aune when they go on sale for $125-150
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 13:30:59 »
http://schiit.com/products/fulla

option for a dac/amp that is portable.. I wish I could get wife approval for some nice headphones myself, lol

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 03:34:15 »
Thanks Sniping, did you try a DAC and not get a major improvement, or are you just a fan of another pair of headphones? I'd love any recommendations for an upgrade.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. The DAC helps, but it's not very good value. The M50 isn't that high end so you'd be better off getting a headphone that sounds good out of the box (no amp/dac needed).

The benefit of a DAC is usually overexaggerated.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:59:09 »
The biggest change in sound will always come from changing the headphones.

For something portable and good I'd get the NAD HP50 for something in the $200 range or the shure srh1540 for something a bit higher end. (Frankly the new shure headphones have been outstanding. I still hate the sound of the lower end models like the 840 / 940).

As for the DAC question I'd consider a Fiio DAP. The fiio x3/x5 both can be used as DAC / Amp combos through USB or as a music player by itself. The first generation Fiio Daps are really cheap right now.

I personally much prefer spending the money on a nice all in one system (I have the AK240 which can do the same thing as the Fiio + Bluetooth and other streaming options) that's very reasonably sized.

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 16:59:16 »
Hi all, I listen to music primarily through my PC or on the go with my Galaxy S5. I have AT ATH-M50's that are a few years old but going strong. I really want to step up and see how much better my music can sound (it's all FLAC direct from CD, so no worries there), and I was wondering whether I should just get a DAC (I'd like a portable one, but if the desktops blow them away, I can give up some quality while traveling), or invest in a higher-end set of headphones like the AKG 701's or some Sennheisers, (or anything else you guys recommend.

I will eventually upgrade the cans anyway, but that represents a much bigger chuck of change than a DAC. I'd like to stay within a $250 budget for the DAC or a $500 for the new headphones.

So TL;DR, will I get higher quality sound plugging some higher-end headphones that the M50's, or from pairing them with a DAC? I go through an old soundcard right now, but I don't think it acts as a DAC.

I highly recommend getting a USB DAC.  I am using a DAC WOW from hotaudio it was $130 and sounds fantastic. 

http://hotaudio.com/products/dac-wow-high-fidelity-usb-dac-for-your-pc-or-laptop
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:22:19 »
The m50's are great headphones. I'd recommend upgrading your source so either buy a new DAP (digital audio player) such as the Fiio's if you are willing to carry both a phone and DAP around at the same time or buying an amp for the phone such as the Fiio portal amps. Both these options will add a bit of bulk but will ultimately open up a much wider range of headphones you are able to take on the go.

As for the AKG's, i would not recommend buying them as portables as they are open back design and leak sound plus I would not call them a real upgrade from the m50's you already have. Something like the V-Moda m100's sound great just out of the phone so that could be an option.

I recently bought a portable rig myself (Sony nw-zx2 and Shure se846) but that's a bit over the top if you aren't planning on spending over 2k

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:40:26 »
It's been proven in blind tests that as long as the signal is clean (without noise or popping) there is no noticeable difference between a $20 source and a $1000 source (I would link the artical but I'm on the road). I have JH13s (I wrote a review on GH) and I think that a pair of great headphones was an awesome investment.

Offline ishpeck

• Life without MX Blues is no kind of life at all.
    • The Ishpeckian Network
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 20:31:43 »
When I was using a Macbook Pro at work, I got a new set of Sennheiser 598's and from then on, I heard this constant humming over all my music.  I got a DAC and the hum went away.  Any other headphones didn't have the hum but they also sounded like a tin can with a string by comparison.  Running theory is that the sound card was picking up oscillations of my motherboard/power supply.

My Sennies don't tend to deliver the hum on my desktop machine, tho'. 
0:=λfx.x

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 20:55:07 »
When I was using a Macbook Pro at work, I got a new set of Sennheiser 598's and from then on, I heard this constant humming over all my music.  I got a DAC and the hum went away.  Any other headphones didn't have the hum but they also sounded like a tin can with a string by comparison.  Running theory is that the sound card was picking up oscillations of my motherboard/power supply.

I've never had a good experience with on board sound.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 09:42:07 »

I've never had a good experience with on board sound.

It's usually more expensive to try and find a motherboard whose engineers paid any mind to audiophile quality I/O.  I've found a couple, but upgrading generally takes all of that away.  Much less expensive and takes less time to just get a good dac that works with any machine/modern device.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:23:20 »
Best DAC I can recommend you is O2 + DAC (You can get it amp + dac in one, or separate).

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 23:26:03 »
Best DAC I can recommend you is O2 + DAC (You can get it amp + dac in one, or separate).

Personally I would tell you to get a Schiit stack. Magni 2 and Modi 2 would go well with any of the AKGs on Mass Drop. Honestly a $100 Dac and Amp would be perfect. They even Rock the Hifiman 400i well. For the road get on Shure SE215. They are only $100 so plug them right into your phone. For you first Cans of better quality try and buy something used. Someone is selling the AKG 712 on here for like $260. That's an amazing price.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)