Author Topic: DEFCON 23?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
DEFCON 23?
« on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:18:56 »
If anyone is going this year, I'll be a Goon half the time, drunk half the time, and a keyboard nerd the other half.
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: DEFCON 23?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:28:55 »
they are fun. learn a lot. blackhat is also really good.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:29:50 »
Serious question: What is DEFCON? I read the FAQ but I didn't understand it. And how does 1o57's amazing PCBs and gadgets fit into it all?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:35:09 »
Serious question: What is DEFCON? I read the FAQ but I didn't understand it. And how does 1o57's amazing PCBs and gadgets fit into it all?

It's a hacker conference, they have breakout sessions and show attacks/exploits, demo's on network equipment or servers, etc. The majority of the exploits are already patched but its cool to see how they were done. They also have swap meet with random for sale in one room. It's definitely fun, the last one I made was Defcon 16, the badges are sick. They usually run it the same time as the Blackhat conference which is a little more enterprise/professional level. I would try to make both if you can, not sure I would fly out just for Defcon but that's just me.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:37:52 »
Blackhat is more for the professional domain and usualy costs a pretty penny to get in.

Defcon is just "OMG im a l33t h4x0r l00k at wh@t 1 c$n d0" conference. Still fun to see all the stuff. plus they serve beer...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:42:05 »
Blackhat is more for the professional domain and usualy costs a pretty penny to get in.

Defcon is just "OMG im a l33t h4x0r l00k at wh@t 1 c$n d0" conference. Still fun to see all the stuff. plus they serve beer...

this ^

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:44:18 »

Don't forget bsides! and I'm not really sure that description of Defcon really does it justice ;)

I caught a fellow geekhacker at Defcon 22, last year, who notice my shirt while we were waiting in line for reg.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:48:24 »
There is probably someone out there who has every badge since Defcon 1, that would actually be cool. hmm...*heading over to ebay

LOL WTF = http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFCON-17-speaker-badge-lanyard-t-shirt-CD-stickers-room-key-/261939414545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfcce4611

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:48:47 »
I'll be at all 3....It's gonna be one hell of a week.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:54:34 »
I met a few GH folks at DC23 this year...

I used several keyboards (and custom printed keycaps) as part of my crypto challenges this year.

Defcon is huge, and as you can expect from a huge conference you get the entire spectrum of folks, from those with excellent skills to scriptkiddies...but that is far from all it is.  If you think otherwise, well, enjoy your world.

I enjoy DC because I get to hang out with people like Matt Blaze, Chris Eagle, Mudge, the original l0pht crew, etc... and the real con is the one behind the scenes...

I also get to see people work on my cryptographic puzzle challenges...and and humbled each year as some people come to DC just to do my challenges.  (If you're curious, read the process some teams go through to solve, like here : http://elegin.com/ )

BTW, I still have some of the keycaps that I was giving away at Defcon.  I'll probably give out the rest here (with mini puzzles, like I did a few months ago in the pay it forward thread)-

Well, time to start getting ready for next year...

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:57:17 »
Defcon and Black Hat were both founded by Jeff Moss (DarkTangent)-  Defcon was kept as the aftermath of the corporate BlackHat.  They are always the same week because BH is in the week up to and Defcon is the weekend.  BH is corporate, and costs corporate $ to attend.  DC was designed for hackers, people in school, etc...but also a place for the speakers from BH to give "the real deal" that they couldn't give at BH due to corporate or legal constraints... Defcon is reall what happens behind the scene, not the actual 'conference' itself...it's always been that way.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:58:56 »
I disagree.  Maybe thats all youve seen, but that isnt my experience.

this ^