Author Topic: What's the most you've paid a .com, .net, or .org domain??  (Read 1389 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
What's the most you've paid a .com, .net, or .org domain??
« on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 07:44:53 »
This, primarily, is an indicator of how long ago you started registering and utilizing domains. 

For me, I paid $200-ish dollars for "uhhh.org" back in 1998.  I had my first webpage up in 1995 (via a hosted shell account from my local Computerland)...it was a fairly anemic Solaris system. 

Kids now days are into the latest tech right away...but I don't think the high school and younger kids latched on to public internet in the mid-90s (college kids certainly did...as they were exposed to it right away). 

How many were using archie and gopher as pre-graduation teenagers? (I worked at a university at the time...which is why I as so well exposed)

[huh.  derailed my own thread before the first post was completed]

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: What's the most you've paid a .com, .net, or .org domain??
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 07:48:01 »
I paid for the domain 'MGS-X.com' was £60 a year... Pretty sure tho that's because I was forced (by another party) to use an awful Dutch domain company

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 14:10:21 »
I have never paid more than 12$ for a domain, if I find one for sale that I like though, I might go for it

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 10:09:29 »
I was too broke when .com's were $60/year and the entire registry was run by one guy in his spare time.  So my first domain purchase was when Joker.com came on the scene with their $12 (I think?) price (the lowest ever, at the time).

It always makes me a little dazed thinking about the numerous generic domain names I could theoretically have hand-registered in the late 90's then flipped for five or six figures each just a few years later.  It was basically the 90's equivalent of getting in on the ground floor of Bitcoin.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:06:11 by Megaweapon »
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline iri

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 10:38:21 »
$25.
Also, I remember gopher and Usenet.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 18:37:45 »
i have a question for you, have you ever paid more for a domain than wall repairs?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 21:51:27 »
IIRC the first time I purchased a domain was as a 20 year old, which would have been 2001. I think it was about $30 for a year. The domain was drunkenpumpkin.com, which I just thought sounded funny at the time. Never did anything with it or bothered to renew it after the first year. Apparently now it's some weird zombie thing.

iMav, I remember gopher from when I was really young, but my memories of that are mostly watching my dad use it. I didn't really take an interest until the early-mid '90s with MUDs and IRC.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 22:22:18 »
One of my female employee/girlfriends got me GUNNAR.COM in about '96-'97 for the 2 year minimum registration ($60?) at the time but I never did anything with it, way too busy to deal with small potatoes. Not long after it expired someone snapped it up. I just checked and it's for sale for $15,000. I won't be repurchasing it, unless ya'all wanna chip in to do something great with my name. I currently have my fist+last name.com which was free with the purchase of another domain+hosting package. Thanks go daddy.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 15:05:48 »
I pay a dollar a year for buttclan.info
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:10:28 »
think i paid like $25 for 2 years for theclib.net back in 2012
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Altis

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 23:45:52 »
I've always wanted to know how much is paid each year for www.31337.com.

It has always cracked me up because it has no content but the message "celebrating ___ years of no content", which is now at 17 years. Someone keeps changing the number every year manually. It's the most pointless webpage conceivable but for some reason it I still check out it out sometimes.

More importantly, someone seems to still be paying the bill and I can't really imagine why.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)