Author Topic: New to the mechanical keyboard world!  (Read 986 times)

Offline ton

New to the mechanical keyboard world!
« on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 11:09:05 »
Hi,

My Quickfire Rapid-i Cherry MX Brown will be arriving in a few days (hopefully tomorrow) and I'm super stoked! Few folks from reddit saved me from getting a Razer Blackwidow Stealth! Phew!

Researching about mechanical keyboards and looking what to buy have consumed like 80% of my work hours for the past couple of weeks, seriously.

Hoping to learn a lot from you guys. Cheers!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: New to the mechanical keyboard world!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 11:29:32 »
Welcome to GH. The quickfire is a great starter board. But soon you will have hundreds more (at least thats what happened with me :p).

Offline mdszy

• ayy lmao
    • mdszy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 11:41:20 »
Congrats! You're already starting out better than me! I started with a Razer Blackwidow (ew) but now have a Das Keyboard ultimate. Enjoy clicky clacking around!

Das Keyboard Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition | Pok3r

Offline ton

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 21:14:59 »
Thanks guys! Few officemates noticed already and will probably drive them nuts. XD

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 04:36:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice choice with the QFRi :)

The MX browns are actually fairly quiet compared to, say, MX blues.  And you can always add O-rings under the keycaps if you really like the keyboard but your workmates complain about the noise.  O-rings dampen the bottom out sound a bit, thus making it a bit quieter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ