Author Topic: Keyboards with the least key wobble  (Read 12959 times)

Offline aeoc

Keyboards with the least key wobble
« on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 07:26:19 »
Hello,

As the title suggests, I am after a new keyboard, one with the least amount of key wobble.

The keyboards I have in contemplation (in the order of preference) are the hkkb2, filco blue switches, filco brown, model m and the unicomp customiser.

A keyboard with a solid feel, no wobble and tight keycaps is what I am looking for. Ideally I would like a keyboard with no movement besides up and down. No uneccesary movement.

As of now, I am typing on the logitech illuminated with scissor switches. Though I do find that the keys have a bit of wobble.

Any opinions, especially from those who have tried several of the above keyboards would be appreciated.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 07:58:45 »
Topre/HHKB/ > Buckling Springs > Cherry-based keyboards > Alps-based keyboards.

It's not really the key cap, per se, that wobbles so much as the switches' sliders (the Topres don't have a slider, but whatever). The Cherry slider sits inside the switch housing (with just the interface stem sticking out), so there's really not a lot of room to move in there. OTOH, much of the Alps slider is outside the housing, so it's a little easier to get some leverage to move the key.

Offline JBert

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 08:09:03 »
Actually, is key wobble that bad? I think it is only a problem if it stops you from pressing down the key.
However, any of the keyboards you listed should have a better design than the logitech and probably don't suffer from the same horrendous wobble.

You need to think about which one you really want. Topre switches and most Cherries have a "light touch" whereas buckling spring keyboards take considerably more force with their "heavy touch".
If you can write comfortably on a typewriter or a bad rubber dome, a buckling spring keyboard may work. For all else, try some (cheap) Cherry keyboards before moving on to the expensive HHKB - although the latter is supposed to feel pretty smooth.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:02:44 »
Quote from: itlnstln;122260
It's not really the key cap, per se, that wobbles so much as the switches' sliders (the Topres don't have a slider, but whatever).

The Topre's do have a slider it is in the key housing as seen here:

Also aeoc if you want to see how a HHKB Pro is built take a look at this article http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6902

And if you want to understand how the Topre switch works look here http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre/Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre

Pretty much all of the quality boards have very little key wobble. But be careful of the Alps some are very tight and some are very loose. Key wobble is one one of the reasons I don't really like the ABS M1 it just feels so sloppy but the one I have may have the XM switches so that may be the problem with it.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:08:09 »
Quote from: rdjack21;122275
The Topre's do have a slider it is in the key housing as seen here:

My bad; I never think of the housing.  I always think of the caps and the domes.

Quote from: rdjack21;122275
Pretty much all of the quality boards have very little key wobble. But be careful of the Alps some are very tight and some are very loose. Key wobble is one one of the reasons I don't really like the ABS M1 it just feels so sloppy but the one I have may have the XM switches so that may be the problem with it.

The caps fit tight on the Alps, but the whole slider wobbles.  Every Alps 'board I have has the same sloppy wobble.  While Alps are pretty good switches, the wobbling always gave me a "low-quality" impression.  That, and the wobbling in Alps contributes some to the "rattling" sound and feel of the switches.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:14:12 »
I think there might be something to how different key caps fit to the same switch, too.  My Cherry has almost no wobble while my Filco has more.  It might be that the caps on the Cherry fit tighter than the Filco, but I'm not sure.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:28:47 »
Yes, the keycaps can make a big difference on the same kind of switch.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 10:12:21 »
Ironically, I was under the impression that scissor-switch keyboards have the least amount of wobble.

Offline rnak92a

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 10:17:49 »
IMO, skip all this jibber-jabber and purchase a Model M, part no. 1391401.  You'll not regret it.  After all, all other mechanical keyboards are inferior to the Model M.  :wink:

Cheers,
~rn
My keyboards, numpads, and pointing devices
=====================================
Quote from: Hak Foo
The label says, "World\'s best... guaranteed."

What would happen if I bought one and sent them a nasty letter that read:

"1391401.  I want my money back."

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 10:34:26 »
I never really noticed it before, but I really like the square edges on the μTRON.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 10:36:10 »
Quote from: webwit;122305
The μTRON with Topre switches has very wobbly keys. They have a new website btw.

Do they use a different mounting system than other Topre-based 'boards?  I wonder why they would be more wobbly than any other.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 10:47:40 »
I, personally, don't really care about wobble as I don't really think it affects my typing.  With the Alps, it's the rattling effect that gives me the bad perception.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 11:42:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;122311
I, personally, don't really care about wobble as I don't really think it affects my typing.  With the Alps, it's the rattling effect that gives me the bad perception.

That's my problem with the black Alps in the Dell AT101W. The rattles from the black Alps break my flow. The white Alps don't seem as bad, because there is a click corresponding to the keyswitch trigger.

Offline aeoc

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 12:09:56 »
A big thank you to all replies, I really do appreciate it.

The only experiences I've had with mechanical keyboards are that of the cherry blue and black switches. They were old POS keyboards with no branding.
I found the blue to be very wobbly and loose, but now I am quite sure it was caused mainly by age and manufacturer.

I was very impressed with the cherry blacks as they felt very solid and did not have too much sideways movement. A small part of the solid feel may have been attributed to the keycaps being completely flat though (maybe?). Perhaps making it less suceptible to rocking. I do not think I would be able to comfortably type on this switch for prolonged periods of time though.

Regarding the logitech illuminated (scissor keys), if you apply pressure to the edges of the keys you can feel it wobbling. I found this applies to all scissor keys that I have come across. Maybe I am expecting too much.

An analogy of what I am looking for is something like piano or typewriter keys, there's no wobble, no movement besides up and down, regardless of where you press, the keys only move down one way. It uses a lever system though, so I am not sure if any modern keyboard would really completely feature these descriptions.

As of now, I will contemplate for 1 more week before deciding and going through with an order.
I am still leaning more towards the hhkb2 but I am a bit confused by reading various topre opinions ranging from underwhelming to very good.
It feels safer to just spring for a new model m lol.

Again thanks to everyone for your help.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 12:37:08 »
Quote from: timw4mail;122290
Yes, the keycaps can make a big difference on the same kind of switch.

I can attest to this.

I bought a random keyboard off of Ebay. It has pink sliders (Not Alps, but very similar, the keycaps are compatible). It felt OK, but "rattled" a lot. Out of curiosity, I swapped the caps off of a Wang 724 (Pink Sliders). It now feels much, I dunno, tighter I guess. It's a pity, as the cheaper feeling rattly keycaps were doubleshot's.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project's :- 122 key 1389620 Wireless ESP32 :
'Pooter :- Xeon E5-2680v4 : Machinist MR9A : 2x16GB DDR4 : Radeon RX6600 : NVME & Spinning rust :

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 15:03:13 »
Quote from: aeoc;122332

I am still leaning more towards the hhkb2 but I am a bit confused by reading various topre opinions ranging from underwhelming to very good.
It feels safer to just spring for a new model m lol.

It really depends on the type of typer you are. If prefer a lighter switch get the Topre. If on the other hand you prefer a heaver switch get the BS. But nothing wrong with getting a Model M first to see if you like it. If nothing else it could save you some money if you like it. If you don't like it no big deal sell it and get the HHKB Pro or keep it for a back up.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 17:26:59 »
The keys on the model M don't wobble.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 07:31:11 »
As Buck Howard (John Malkovich) would say -> “I love this thread”
And oh btw… Emily Blunt is sinfully hot in this movie.

Being a wobbler hater myself, I’d like you experts to run a top 5 list of the less wobbling keyboards.

I agree with what was posted so far. Buckling springs is way up there.
Now what would be the other 4?

And be serious in your posts ie:

No form over function

Or TVS Gold
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline d2v

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 09:21:43 »
@BucklingSpring

The TVS Gold has no wobble in its current form. Check out the two reviews (mine and Welly's) in the reviews section.

On the other side, I have a candidate for the most wobbly board in the world - The Enter Flexible keyboard

The wobble is so horrible that I can't stand typing on this board. One has to hit right at the center of the key and still check the screen for every character. The board apparently uses some silicon pad housed in a rubber balloon for every key.
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 12:59:04 »
Quote from: d2v;122544
@BucklingSpring

The TVS Gold has no wobble in its current form. Check out the two reviews (mine and Welly's) in the reviews section.

Nice TVS review btw.

I’m skeptical about your no wobble statement. Looking at the pics you posted, the key caps seam to have the same ultra thin plastic sockets to fit on the “+” switch connector.

Maybe we just don’t agree on what wobbling means.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 15:13:48 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;122587
Nice TVS review btw.

I’m skeptical about your no wobble statement. Looking at the pics you posted, the key caps seam to have the same ultra thin plastic sockets to fit on the “+” switch connector.

Maybe we just don’t agree on what wobbling means.

hey buckling spring, i think he means the tvs no longer has the kind of wobble that you described. I can concur on that, my tvs also did not have the kind of wobble that you described. We figure they must have changed something.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 15:40:09 »
The XXXXX keyboard doesn't wobble.

Be sure to check all 6 degrees of movement before claiming that.

I suppose with modern manufacturing techniques - with tolerances measured in microns or less - they could make keys with no noticable wobble, but the design would have to really prioritize the issue or else thermal expansion would ruin things.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:16:18 »
Quote from: wellington1869;122633
I can concur on that, my tvs also did not have the kind of wobble that you described. We figure they must have changed something.

Do you still have your DAS III?

While not as bad as my TVS, I find the DAS quite a wobbler as well.
So if you think your DAS doesn't wobble, then we can agree to disagree.

:-)
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:20:39 »
Quote from: ripster;122659
Cherrys are perched on these little keystems and no matter how well the key fits (and the Filco keys fit well) you're gonna get wobble.

Bingo! I couldn't find a better way to say it.

Thus the TVS is a wobbler by design :-)
Now the question is how does it compare amongst other wobblers.

Thank you ripster.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:25:31 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 17:37:05 »
most keys wobble to some degree. Probably the topres come closest to no wobble. Bet I could make even them wobble if I tried.
It might be nice to have a board with absolute-zero wobble. It would probably feel very secure/stable on the downstroke.
On the other hand, for me wobble sometimes adds some much needed personality or character to a keyboard. The tp2 comes to mind. Lots of wobble but that was in part what made it so chattery, jingly, and ultimately added to the fun experience of typing on it. For me anyway.
Of course too much wobble can be disruptive. I was afraid of the tvs wobble after seeing bucklingspring's pics of it, but it looks like they reigned it in a little bit anyway.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3