Author Topic: Cheapest keycaps that can be bought?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
  • UKKeycaps.co.uk / MechSupply.co.uk
    • UKKeycaps
Cheapest keycaps that can be bought?
« on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:31:38 »
I need a load of 1x1 keycaps of any row/profile for a... thing

Where's the best place for buying a load of cherry mx keycaps at the lowest possible price? I don't mind if they're thin pad printed ABS.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Re: Cheapest keycaps that can be bought?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:35:21 »
Beserkerfan was selling a ton of white blank PBTs a while back, maybe there are some left: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71143 $.4/cap

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 19:06:51 »
If this is an art project or something similar (please post the results!) you should go to the grubbiest 2nd-hand store in town and ask what they have in the dirty back corner. Around here (US), I could probably get a dozen keyboards at every 3rd or 4th thrift store for $1-$2 each which translates to a penny or 2 per cap.

But it would take a few hours of driving around, at least.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 19:35:16 »
Beserkerfan was selling a ton of white blank PBTs a while back, maybe there are some left: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71143 $.4/cap

That's an amazing price for PBT but I'm still looking for something a little cheaper, around the £0.10 per key or less

If this is an art project or something similar (please post the results!) you should go to the grubbiest 2nd-hand store in town and ask what they have in the dirty back corner. Around here (US), I could probably get a dozen keyboards at every 3rd or 4th thrift store for $1-$2 each which translates to a penny or 2 per cap.

But it would take a few hours of driving around, at least.

I don't think it's the same in the UK really, I could get some old boards on eBay I guess

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 22:51:38 »
Depending on how many you want, maybe someone has the contents of a PMK Crap Bag that they don't want.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 05:59:16 »
Yeah that might be the bet bet. Someine in the UK must have gotten one...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:01:04 »
I'd say find old wyse keyboard with mx compatible keycaps. You can get some for like 10$ and you even end up with a metal plate and a bunch of switches.

Caps are **** though.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:25:24 »
New Tai-Hao doubleshot sets go for $15 ish in the Classifieds and Newegg.

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:45:14 »
I appriciate the replies but they assume i'm in the US. I'm in the UK and I'm really aiming for something around £0.05 per key

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:46:45 »
I appriciate the replies but they assume i'm in the US. I'm in the UK and I'm really aiming for something around £0.05 per key

Tai Hao is based out of China or Taiwan and they've made keycaps for various companies such as Pexon, Newegg, and GBs in the classifieds. I don't know if you'll be able to find caps for that price on the retail side but it couldn't hurt to do some research on Tai Hao and find a contact there so you can see what their prices are direct.

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
    • UKKeycaps
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:54:12 »
I actually have a groupbuy running right now for Tai Hao PBT keycaps. Although their keycaps are cheap they're not crap bag cheap. As I said I'm looking to pay around £0.05 per key, I think finding someone in the UK who got a grabbag is my best option.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 17:29:11 »
I gather that you're not really looking for complete keycap sets, just lost and lost of 1x keycaps of any profiles.

So paying extra for complete sets is probably a waste of time.

The thing with crap bags is the postage cost to anywhere outside the US.  That's what kinda put me off last time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:40:51 »
You could also post a WTB for unwanted stock caps in Classifieds. Most people would be willing to sell the stock caps off their boards that they've put aftermarket ones on for a pretty low price.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.