Author Topic: I have so many nice keyboards > Ive really learned a lot this past 6 weeks  (Read 2850 times)

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Ive learned about my likes and dislikes and some of the characteristics to key(stroke) feel.

There are only a few Rubber Domes that come near your average mechanical switch.  Topre are high quality Rubber Domes worthy of consideration.

Im pretty happy with any mechanical switch, though I like some better than other, and generally prefer higher force springs to lower...can use higher force linears no problem, but prefer tactile...clicky is optional. (Id like to try MX Clears & Greens) Blacks are good and so are White/Cream/Black Complicated Alps & Monterey Blues)

I really like Alps Switches but not appreciably better than Cherry MX or clones. (Id like to try Gaterons)

Loud obnoxious keyboards are fun, but quieter keyboards are more practical.

Next up Unicomp Ultra Classic 103 USB in White with Pearl/Pebble keycaps w/Buckling Springs & KeyCool Hero 104 RGB w/ Kailh Blacks

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 01:11:47 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline fanpeople

There are only a few Rubber Domes that come near your average mechanical switch.  Topre are high quality Rubber Domes worthy of consideration.

105082-0

I don't care for the validity of the statement, it's still triggering me.

Offline Ludovician

When did you join the cup rubber club, fanpeople? I thought you were all BS.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline fanpeople

I was, but then I thought I would give it a shot and dam its just so nice. I still love my BS keyboards but the clicketly clackety which is music to my ears was not to my wife's so now my BS boards have a bedtime.

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer

I was, but then I thought I would give it a shot and dam its just so nice. I still love my BS keyboards but the clicketly clackety which is music to my ears was not to my wife's so now my BS boards have a bedtime.

I wholeheartedly agree and approve with this. There'll always be a place for BS in my heart, but the buckle is too loud for the dead night of night. Instead, I choose to lull those around me to sleep with the sweet pitter patter of the Topre thock.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline Ludovician

Ah, fair enough. I like both as well, but right now I'm riding the Alps hype train.

Is your HHKB silenced?
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline fanpeople

Ah, fair enough. I like both as well, but right now I'm riding the Alps hype train.

Is your HHKB silenced?

Oh yeah, how do the alps go.

Nah no silencing here, I think that the HHKB is not that loud. I also have a turtle tank in the same area as my computer so the pumping waterfall in the tank pretty much drowns out the sound until about 9 at night.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I found that the most noise from my HHKB came from the vibrations through the desk.  I put it on a folded sheet of drawer liner and that significantly reduced the noise.

Now I pt all my keyboards at home on the drawer liner.

Maybe I just have a noisy (echoy) desk.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

I found that the most noise from my HHKB came from the vibrations through the desk.  I put it on a folded sheet of drawer liner and that significantly reduced the noise.

I have been using an oversize mouse mat for over a year now so I have never noticed. My presious keyboards always sit on the mouse mat when in use (its the long one in the picture I believe).

105102-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

I have been using an oversize mouse mat for over a year now so I have never noticed. My presious keyboards always sit on the mouse mat when in use (its the long one in the picture I believe).

(Attachment Link)

I have a metal mouse mat :p

But most other mouse mats I have seen have a semi-rigid upper surface.  Wouldn't the keyboard slide around as much, if not more, on that than it does on the desk?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

But most other mouse mats I have seen have a semi-rigid upper surface.  Wouldn't the keyboard slide around as much, if not more, on that than it does on the desk?

Just tested it, the HHKB slides around much easier on my desk. My desk is just a varnished wood type. I don't get any slide on the mouse pad I think the top material provides enough traction to prevent sliding. I have never really had an issue with a keyboard sliding though, mind you I do adjust the keyboards position depending the way I sit so I wouldn't notice anyway. Chances are in an hour or two I will pick it up and move it 10 cms to the left or right (weird I know). My desk is pretty spacious.

edit: Wow I think we have hijacked this thread, sorry OP is that your entire keyboard collection in your signature? that's a lot of boards are you just working your way through them?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 06:05:03 by fanpeople »

Offline Ludovician

edit: Wow I think we have hijacked this thread, sorry OP is that your entire keyboard collection in your signature? that's a lot of boards are you just working your way through them?

Yep, this thread has been invaded by Australia. No ragrets.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

Yep, this thread has been invaded by Australia. No ragrets.
CROIKEY MITE STRAYA!

If that is his collection after 6 weeks, Jesus ****ing Christ. He's either loaded or very assertive Oo .

Don't bother with the Compaq though, it's so vanilla it hurts. I traded one for an AT102W but I've seen many more along the way.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
If that is his collection after 6 weeks,

Yes, in my opinion about half a week is a good chunk of time to really know a keyboard.

Unless it is really bad, then you know right away.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Im glad for the chatter. The purpose of the thread to get people talking.

Yes, That's my collection after 6 weeks, Ill start pruning soon. Im a bit spergy and am a big believer in personal experience, not just taking expert advice.

I dont intend to get into custom key caps or custom limited run keyboards from Korea. I have less in my collection than many have in one keyboard...and I was always planning on culling the herd.

Im probably not keeping the Topre. As I like the NMB RT6866TW and Logitech UltraX better.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
If that is his collection after 6 weeks,

Yes, in my opinion about half a week is a good chunk of time to really know a keyboard.

Unless it is really bad, then you know right away.

Like my white Trackpoint Fohat?  I didn't give up on it! I seriously could have! The buttons were dead, the pointer worked, and the keys felt like total crap.  I was very close to throwing it in the garbage.

http://imgur.com/a/b4Q7Q

I am kinda glad I didn't.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
Ive also learned that I like Green and Amber(Orange) illumination best. Ive now have experience with Blue, Green, Red, & White LED backlit keyboards.

Offline jerr

Interesting...thanks for the read!