Author Topic: Retr0bright Difficulties  (Read 1632 times)

Offline blcksqrrl

• I'm afraid that I just blue myself
Retr0bright Difficulties
« on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 20:34:39 »
I recently came across an AEKII and an Apple Standard Keyboard at the local Goodwill, both with somewhat yellowed. I have spent the last four days attempting to retr0bright the cases, but I haven't achieved a uniform look; it always comes off in spotty. I'm not sure if my issue lies in application or something else entirely. I would hope that with four days of doing this, I would eventually get this right. Any advice to help rectify this issue?

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Apple Extended Keyboard II

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
Re: Retr0bright Difficulties
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 20:43:36 »
What recipe did you follow?

Application could be the problem. If you don't have the right consistency from the stiffening agent then it can concentrate in certain areas making it spotty.

UV exposure is also a likely culprit. Are you using a UV light or sunlight? The more UV, the less chance of spottiness imo

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 20:44:02 »
It is not an easy process by any means.

The goop has to stay wet or nothing happens - hence all the mess with glycerine and such.

Make a wet mix, slop it on thick, wrap the whole thing in Saran Wrap in put it in direct sun at noon.

Repeat when it dries out.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline blcksqrrl

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 22:16:37 »
What recipe did you follow?

Application could be the problem. If you don't have the right consistency from the stiffening agent then it can concentrate in certain areas making it spotty.

UV exposure is also a likely culprit. Are you using a UV light or sunlight? The more UV, the less chance of spottiness imo

I followed "Merlin's Original Recipe" on the Retr0Bright website. I also picked up some of the 40 Vol cream and tried that too. As for UV sources, I've tried both sunlight and a UV lamp.

It is not an easy process by any means.

The goop has to stay wet or nothing happens - hence all the mess with glycerine and such.

Make a wet mix, slop it on thick, wrap the whole thing in Saran Wrap in put it in direct sun at noon.

Repeat when it dries out.

Yeah, I try to keep it as wet as I can. These last couple of weeks have been 95+ which hasn't been too kind at keeping the solution wet, I think that longest that I've seen it wet has been half an hour.

I'm beginning to think that is down to my application (and maybe some heat issues), hopefully I can get it right. Thanks for your guys' advice, I really appreciate it.

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 23:15:24 »
Alright, 95 is probably too nasty to do the paste effectively lol. Any chance you could make the liquid form and keep it under a UV light? That way you can tell if its evaporating after a day or so and keep the container filled.

Offline blcksqrrl

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 00:14:35 »
I think that I'll attempt that tomorrow. That will (hopefully) alleviate my application problems  :p

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 07:40:10 »
The Saran Wrap has worked pretty well for me, but it only delays the drying time by tens of minutes at best.

And I am a firm believer in strong noon sunlight.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015