Author Topic: Anyone tried a rotary switch as a left and right arrows?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline KTKM

Anyone tried a rotary switch as a left and right arrows?
« on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 03:17:33 »
It's really annoying when coding or typing and having to go back just a few steps for a small fix, so I thought of adding a rotary switch to a small 2-3 key keyboard to work as arrows on the left side of my main keyboard.

Did anyone try that? if yes, do you find it useful?

Lastly, will it work with 2-3 keys connected using a ATTINY85 cheap controller?

Offline Axollott

Re: Anyone tried a rotary switch as a left and right arrows?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 04:15:55 »
Check this out bro. I haven't used it myself but it may be useful for your issue.

store.griffintechnology.com/laptops/powermate

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 04:28:23 »
To do this you'll need to find a switch that effectively pushes the lever to one side or the other then returns to a central position - if you can find one of those it will work just fine, and if it has a definite click when this happens I think I'd like it.

Most rotary switches work by connecting different pins as they go round though, so the computer would see a key held down which would not be any use.  I guess the switch you're looking for would have a special name but a quick search has revealed nothing.

For 5 keys (3 standard and 2 on the rotary) you would need 5 I/O pins making a 3x2 matrix, so you could add another switch too if you wanted :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline KTKM

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 07:43:43 »
Check this out bro. I haven't used it myself but it may be useful for your issue.

store.griffintechnology.com/laptops/powermate

That's basically what I want to make but smaller and at a much cheaper price.

To do this you'll need to find a switch that effectively pushes the lever to one side or the other then returns to a central position - if you can find one of those it will work just fine, and if it has a definite click when this happens I think I'd like it.

Most rotary switches work by connecting different pins as they go round though, so the computer would see a key held down which would not be any use.  I guess the switch you're looking for would have a special name but a quick search has revealed nothing.

For 5 keys (3 standard and 2 on the rotary) you would need 5 I/O pins making a 3x2 matrix, so you could add another switch too if you wanted :)

There must be a way to make something like the Powermate without the many pins I see on most rotary switches.

Offline KTKM

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:34:17 »
I found something that might work, so for future reference: google: KY-040 Rotary Encoder