Author Topic: I am in need of Stabilisers.  (Read 1167 times)

Offline HydraDyne

I am in need of Stabilisers.
« on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 04:20:49 »
I have recently become the proud owner of 120 Gateron swithes, though are in need of only 103. Is it a bad idea if I were to double up on switches, say two on the outside stems of the shift keys, and possibly 3 on the spacebar. Is there a blatant reason why I have never seen this done before? A problem with parallel switch movement? Perhaps too heavy?(35g, or could I remove the springs).

If this is not possible, then I would have to be looking at standard Stabilisers. That brings me onto my second point. Does anyone know of a good place to buy either Cherry or Costar stabilisers, with reasonable shipping costs to Australia. The only place that I can find which seems to have any is WASD Keyboard, but they do not seem to have a large variety, nor would the shipping be cheap. Thank you for you time :)

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
Re: I am in need of Stabilisers.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 08:56:28 »
If you're in Australia you might want to check GON or Winkey store for PCB mount stabs. They're both in Korea I believe so maybe shipping to Australia should be cheaper. What I did was I found the Cherry part numbers from the MX Datasheet on page 2 on the bottom right (without pins being plate mount stabs, with pins being PCB mount stabs) and searched electronics warehouses like Digikey, Mouser, etc. I found what I was looking for at Mouser, though I'll have to make my own 6.25x wire.
I liek keyboards

Offline HydraDyne

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 00:24:42 »
Ahh yes, I had forgotten about those two. I will have to consider the shipping costs and such, but thank you for the suggestion.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 10:57:42 »
Stabilizers do more than just hold the side of the key up, they also make sure the key stays level no matter where you press it. That way it doesn't bind up by tilting inside the center switch. If you used switches instead of stabilizers on the sides your key will tilt if you don't hit it dead center.

Offline HydraDyne

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:24:58 »
That's exactly what I thought the problem would be, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried it. I guess it would be no better than having only one switch under the keycap...