Author Topic: hi!  (Read 1537 times)

Offline fishcola

hi!
« on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 22:13:55 »
Hello! I'm yet another long-time lurker of GH, DT, and /r/mk. I've used a lot of Model M's for most of my life, and have owned my first cherry keyboard (CODE TKL with greens) for approx. a year and a half.... I'm hoping to learn more about keycap profiles and materials, while looking at other people's setups.. I'm here to learn i guess.

Random thoughts, I use alot of unix/linuxes, but I'm not a OS troll. I definitely want to own a high quality 1.75u ctrl key...that's probably my keyboard unicorn :D

Has anyone ever fallen in love with a rubber dome keyboard? Sacrelige, i know, but fwiw, IBM made a keyboard for its late '90s Aptiva desktops called the kb7993, and I loved it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: hi!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 05:04:07 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

BS and MX greens - most excellent :)

The KB7993 looks like an IBM keyboard we had at work for a while.  We had a white one and a couple of black ones.  I actually "inherited" the white one, and I think the black ones are still lying around somewhere.  They were quite good, but didn't pass the test of time, unfortunately.

OTOH there is another IBM rubber dome keyboard, black, similar design but a larger case, that I managed to find somewhere that was fantastic!  Even after several years of punishing use it still felt great.  I even managed to find a NIB (or at least new in plastic bag) one that I still have somewhere, although dust and other particles have found their way into the bag.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 15:25:55 »
Sup
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:01:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The KB7993 looks like an IBM keyboard we had at work for a while.  We had a white one and a couple of black ones.  I actually "inherited" the white one, and I think the black ones are still lying around somewhere.  They were quite good, but didn't pass the test of time, unfortunately.

OTOH there is another IBM rubber dome keyboard, black, similar design but a larger case, that I managed to find somewhere that was fantastic!  Even after several years of punishing use it still felt great.  I even managed to find a NIB (or at least new in plastic bag) one that I still have somewhere, although dust and other particles have found their way into the bag.

thanks for the welcome! i take it you like BS and greens as well? Heh, tbh I loathed my greens until a few months of breaking them in... now I'm in love! Now that I'm used to 80cn switches, I'm looking forward to trying tactile greys.

If you can recall, do you think that the keycaps on the 7993 or your other rubber dome ibm kb have non-abs keycaps? Part of what I loved about the 7993 were the keycaps' texture... I'm convinced they weren't ABS.

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:04:54 by fishcola »

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:17:27 »
hi

Offline fishcola

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 01:50:56 »
Sup

Sup

man, don't be down for no responses! sup is a generic thing to say! sup right back at you!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 20:03:01 »
ha, i was just kidding!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:29:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

thanks for the welcome! i take it you like BS and greens as well? Heh, tbh I loathed my greens until a few months of breaking them in... now I'm in love! Now that I'm used to 80cn switches, I'm looking forward to trying tactile greys.

If you can recall, do you think that the keycaps on the 7993 or your other rubber dome ibm kb have non-abs keycaps? Part of what I loved about the 7993 were the keycaps' texture... I'm convinced they weren't ABS.

Yep - BS is favourite, followed by MX greens (with 45g Topre oscillating around as a stand-in replacement when I need a quieter keyboard).

I have no idea what the keycaps were made of, But I seem to recall a certain amount of shine.  Not as much as you'd expect from ABS, but much more than you'd expect from PBT.  So maybe some other sort of plastic perhaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ