Author Topic: The Future of the Mouse  (Read 5955 times)

Offline itlnstln

The Future of the Mouse
« on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 16:17:26 »
MS displays some prototype pointing devices.  Check it.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 18:27:21 »
Meh. What's that wrong with what we have now? Beyond a more radical innovation, I don't see these prototypes adding anything.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline YpoCaramel

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 11:40:50 »
Phones make a lot of sense for touch, and by extension, multi-touch. Partly because they're small, partly because they were designed for them all along (even Windows Mobile started from stylus origins, Symbian did mess up the switch though). But for the desktop, what we have is fine. I'd buy any gimmicky, multi-touch mouse out there (and I have a MX Air), but to say the mouse is dead - that's sensationalism.

Edit - If the mouse goes away, it'd probably be due to a major paradigm shift in how we interact with our computers. I doubt a scaled up iPhone or multi-touch grafted mice is quite enough. That's probably why these are concepts with no plans for commercialization.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2009, 11:45:40 by YpoCaramel »
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline itlnstln

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 October 2009, 08:05:06 »
That was a great mouse, especially once the added the scroll wheel to it.

Offline o2dazone

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 October 2009, 22:50:03 »
In my future, there's no room for mice.

Offline msiegel

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2009, 22:58:42 »
Quote from: o2dazone;124229
In my future, there's no room for mice.

;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline o2dazone

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 23:25:08 »
also in my future, I plan to look just like Nixon

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 15:10:20 »
Quote from: ripster;123802
The Microsoft Mouse 2.0 (1991) is at the Museum of Modern Art.  It is often cited as an example of good design.
Show Image

Always liked that one.

I use one every day. I'll tell you: It's a good mouse.  It works reliably and has just 2 simple buttons with no bells and whistles.

There's also a later model with a scrolling wheel, but that one is PS/2 only and has a slightly different construction and is not as comfortable as the Serial Mouse 2.0.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 15:12:43 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;124728
I use one every day. I'll tell you: It's a good mouse. It works reliably and has just 2 simple buttons with no bells and whistles.

These were tanks.  I even bought the one that had the optical sensor just because I liked the design so much.  These days, though, ergonomics has evolved, but these are still tanks.

Offline itlnstln

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 15:13:49 »
BTW, that Fox Pro box brings back memories.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2009, 15:16:17 by itlnstln »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 October 2009, 19:27:42 »
I'd call the ordinary ol' Microsoft Mouse the Model M of mice. I'll make a documentary on it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline D-EJ915

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 October 2009, 21:13:00 »
I think the old logitech optical mouse is more of an indestructible workhorse than those but to each their own.

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2009, 21:15:15 by D-EJ915 »

Offline Xuan

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 October 2009, 21:40:41 »
Also a great design, I've been using the MX300 for 7 years.
The same design is used in the actual G3 model.

Offline TWX

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 October 2009, 13:31:10 »
The Logitech Mouseman Wireless always worked well for me, when I wanted to use a mouse over a trackball.  More curve to it than the Microsoft Mouse.

To be honest, based on the way my forearms are starting to hurt these days after extensive computer use, I'm wondering if it might be time to switch to an ergo keyboard.  I've also seen ergo mouse designs that has the hand and arm a lot more sideways in a much more natural position than most currently are, so if anything we'll probably see a reaction to increased problems in input device design.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline RFJunkie

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 October 2009, 06:24:47 »
This is the mouse that I use the most... It took me a while to find something that I liked to use. I think I have bought over 8 to 10 different mice in the last year trying to find something that I can comfortably use for extended periods of time... (I'm a CNC programmer and use CAD/CAM software 10 hours a day sometimes.) So I started looking at gaming mice... and the one in the picture is what I  found that I seem to like the most... (So far) It is a Wolf King Trooper; It has 3 DPI setting that can be changed on the fly, and an adjustable fire button that I never use.

I now own three of them at home and 1 at work.

The mouse is rather large in size compared to OEM stuff that you get when you buy a PC... (how many of us actually buy PC's anymore, VS building one?)

Offline TWX

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 October 2009, 16:54:15 »
I buy PCs, when I need a new laptop...  *grin*
TWX

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 11:37:49 »
I don't buy any computer gear. I just take it from the trash at work.

Offline TWX

The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 11:44:23 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;128796
I don't buy any computer gear. I just take it from the trash at work.

Must be nice to work somewhere that the discards are worth taking.  We still have machines with ISA slots, and more than a few Win95 and Win98 boxes around.  A year ago I found a new-old-stock NEC Powermate V133e that had never been put into service.  When I powered it on it prompted if I wanted to run Windows 3.11 For Workgroups or Windows 95.

At least we skipped Windows Millennium and have skipped Vista.
TWX

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
The Future of the Mouse
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 18:40:48 »
I found an old Model M with a trackball in the garbage and it works.