Author Topic: Keycaps were left white after I cleaned them with denture cleaners.  (Read 3241 times)

Offline romi01

I put in some keycaps from an old neXT keyboard into hot water with 3 effervescent denture cleaner tabs with the keycaps. The keycaps (originaly black) turned grayish  :(. How could I fix this?

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
Re: Keycaps were left white after I cleaned them with denture cleaners.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 00:46:03 »
You may be out of luck. If you have any pictures, post them to show what happened. My only suggestion would be to re-dye them, but obviously that isn't a way to reverse any damage.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 00:58:24 »
I put in some keycaps from an old neXT keyboard into hot water with 3 effervescent denture cleaner tabs with the keycaps. The keycaps (originaly black) turned grayish  :(. How could I fix this?

Well... At least it wasn't a BeOS keyboard.
NeXT was garbage anyways...

Offline romi01

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 01:00:40 »
This is how they look, they look a bit better irl (potato camera ftw), but they still look whiteish. 106633-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 05:44:38 »
I've used denture tablets lots of times, but thinking about it, they were all whiteish keycaps.

You say "hot" water - how not?  My denture tablets indicate warm water should be used.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerr

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 22:51:18 »
Wow that sucks  :(

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 23:16:48 »
How long did you have them in for?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 05:40:58 »
Maybe a silly question, but did you rinse them? They tend to leave a bit of residue.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 05:46:03 »
Maybe a silly question, but did you rinse them? They tend to leave a bit of residue.

I have not seen residue, even with very dirty caps.

Just a nice minty smell :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 06:53:46 »
Hot water? I've always used cold tap water. Never warm or hot.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 07:04:14 »
I use warm water + dental tab + dish soap and I never had any residues even on wob caps.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:39:22 »
Hot water? I've always used cold tap water. Never warm or hot.

I'm pretty sure my denture tabs say to use warm water.  Which I do - warm tap water.