Author Topic: Foot Switch for Powering on Desk  (Read 1445 times)

Offline BIZ!

• It's gonna be great!
Foot Switch for Powering on Desk
« on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:30:39 »
I've been using an SSC Controls Company Foot Switch to power on my speakers at work:
http://ssccontrols.com/homepage-s-series.htm

The model S420-1501 is great for switching on and off my speakers when I need to go "headphones only" with a client in the room.
The foot switch is definitely for industrial work and is made of steel and has quality parts.  The internal switch makes a fairly loud click when hit. 

I wanted to see what other people may be using to quickly power up their desk?  Do you have a quiet solution for powering down multiple devices at once? 

-B
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:43:46 by BIZ! »
Ducky Shine 3 |  IBM Model M  | Razer Orbweaver  | ErgoDox Infinity

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Foot Switch for Powering on Desk
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:06:39 »
That's a really cool idea. Does it just go inbetween the wall outlet and the plug for the speakers?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline BIZ!

• It's gonna be great!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:13:26 »
That's a really cool idea. Does it just go inbetween the wall outlet and the plug for the speakers?

Yeah.  It has a "piggyback" or "series connector" that you can plug a surge protector into and then plug it into the wall.
It has an 8' insulated cable that makes it easy to place under your desk and out of the way.

-B

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:23:24 »

Yeah.  It has a "piggyback" or "series connector" that you can plug a surge protector into and then plug it into the wall.
It has an 8' insulated cable that makes it easy to place under your desk and out of the way.

-B

Ah ok. I don't think that would be the best idea with a PC though, you wouldn't want to turn your PC off with a kill switch instead of a proper shut down. Good for other peripherals though for sure.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:34:21 »
For powering on a PC you need a momentary normally open switch wired in place of the normal power button on the case.

If you wire it in series with the existing power button, you would have to hit both switches for it to turn on.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BIZ!

• It's gonna be great!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:58:30 »

-B

Ah ok. I don't think that would be the best idea with a PC though, you wouldn't want to turn your PC off with a kill switch instead of a proper shut down. Good for other peripherals though for sure.

I wouldn't put my PC on it either.  Currently, I use it with two Mackie HR824 speakers and my laptop charger on the same surge protector.

My PC, Mackie VLZ Pro, and APC Unit are on an isobar tripp-lite power conditioner.  I only turn it off when I'm not going to be working for a few days.
If you have a bunch of peripherals, you're right, it could be a huge time-saver.

-B

Offline BIZ!

• It's gonna be great!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 19:43:30 »
bump---
looking for other foot switch suggestions or some kind of wireless peripheral switch.