Author Topic: Hello & thanks  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Jarlax

Hello & thanks
« on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 11:16:31 »
Hi guys. ~ year ago I've decided to buy mechanical keyboard (and switch layout from Qwerty to Colemak, but that's a different story).
Here I found a lot of useful information which helped me to decide what to choose, so thanks everyone!

P.S. I'm happy owner of WASD V2 10keyless (MX Clears) and HHKB Pro 2 Type S.

Cheers,
J

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello & thanks
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 02:16:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Two excellent keyboards you have started with :)

Have you got a preference for either one?  Or a specific use you put one to?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jarlax

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 06:59:31 »

WASD was the first one and I enjoyed it a lot. But it's a little too big and heavy for every day transportation from home to work and back. So, I've decided to buy 60% keyboard. Now I use mainly HHKB. Main reason is size - 60% works much better for me than 80%. Also, although I still like Clears, Topre feels more satisfying.

Usage: 80% work (coding, emails etc), 20% gaming.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 05:02:57 »

WASD was the first one and I enjoyed it a lot. But it's a little too big and heavy for every day transportation from home to work and back. So, I've decided to buy 60% keyboard. Now I use mainly HHKB. Main reason is size - 60% works much better for me than 80%. Also, although I still like Clears, Topre feels more satisfying.

Usage: 80% work (coding, emails etc), 20% gaming.

The HHKB is a bit lighter than many 60% boards, so you've chosen well there :)

Do you miss dedicated arrow keys and home/end when coding with the HHKB?  I find I use those keys too much when coding, and that's pretty much what stops me from using my HHKB at work.  Instead I use it at home where Ctrl sequences to a lot of the navigation instead.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jarlax

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 08:43:16 »

Do you miss dedicated arrow keys and home/end when coding with the HHKB?  I find I use those keys too much when coding, and that's pretty much what stops me from using my HHKB at work.  Instead I use it at home where Ctrl sequences to a lot of the navigation instead.

For me Fn+;['/ feels more comfortable comparing to dedicated arrow keys (even with combinations like Ctrl-Shift-Left). The only real problem was with F1-F12 with modifier keys (lots of hotkeys in Visual Studio are like that).

Offline raymogi

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 08:54:51 »
Great choice in keyboard there ;)

Just got my type-S today too and oh my, I'm feeling the Topre love all over again. When I chose to buy the normal one, I had gone through youtube videos and decided that I like the clackiness of the normal model. But after using it in person, the type-S is just a different kind of sexy.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline zars15

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 10:43:27 »
(..)Do you miss dedicated arrow keys and home/end when coding with the HHKB?  I find I use those keys too much when coding, and that's pretty much what stops me from using my HHKB at work.  Instead I use it at home where Ctrl sequences to a lot of the navigation instead.

What about vim-like editors? After I switched to it, I can't live without it. Though it only works if you go with homerow style.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 05:26:13 »

For me Fn+;['/ feels more comfortable comparing to dedicated arrow keys (even with combinations like Ctrl-Shift-Left). The only real problem was with F1-F12 with modifier keys (lots of hotkeys in Visual Studio are like that).

I got that when I tried to use my HHKB at work - the IDEs we use need far too many function keys to work, with especially without the gap better f1-f4, f5-f8 and f9-f12 I found myself looking down at the keyboard far too much.

(..)Do you miss dedicated arrow keys and home/end when coding with the HHKB?  I find I use those keys too much when coding, and that's pretty much what stops me from using my HHKB at work.  Instead I use it at home where Ctrl sequences to a lot of the navigation instead.

What about vim-like editors? After I switched to it, I can't live without it. Though it only works if you go with homerow style.

Much, much easier :)  Also on the Mac (and other Unix-like operating systems) you can use control sequences instead of separate cursor movement keys, so Ctrl-A moves cursor to beginning of line, Ctrl-F moved forward one character, Ctrl-D deletes the current character and so on.  With the HHKB's Control key position this makes navigation easy and intuitive :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 22:36:16 »
hi and you're welcome
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.