Author Topic: [GB] GMK Classic Beige  (Read 194270 times)

Offline joey

Re: [GB] GMK Classic Beige
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 03:32:08 »
What's the estimated time for this GB to finish? January 2016?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 03:38:00 »
I hope orders will start to pick up towards the end of the GB.. Things are very slow right now.. :'(

I really don't get this "I wait until the last minute to order" attitude. I mean if one decided to buy this set why not order right away? Because of the 0,5$ interest for keeping the money in the bank for one more month?

I mean this GB was announced months ago, so everyone had enough time to save some money for it...
Want to get an Extra set.

I'm hoping I can pay at some point using PayPal. I don't have a credit card and my debit card isn't supported by Stripe. :(
Same for me with PayPal, but I'm also waiting for some funds to free up.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 03:46:10 »
I don't have huge amounts of money coming in. So it's dodgy at times when I can get in.  :-[

Offline Prelim

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 04:16:22 »
if anyone who uses WKL keyboards wants to sell me some caps, I can offer 20€ for the moogle (which can reduce your cost of the main kit)
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Prelim

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 04:17:33 »
double post, please ignore
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:28:13 »
I hope orders will start to pick up towards the end of the GB.. Things are very slow right now.. :'(

I really don't get this "I wait until the last minute to order" attitude. I mean if one decided to buy this set why not order right away? Because of the 0,5$ interest for keeping the money in the bank for one more month?

I mean this GB was announced months ago, so everyone had enough time to save some money for it...

I think that even though people knew about the GB at the IC phase,  they didn't start thinking about the actual cost until the idea materialized into  a GB. 

With other group buys I get what you're saying,  just jump in,  and you'll be invoiced down the line,  giving individuals something tangible to save for.  With this one,  some simply do not have the cash,  and are probably saving furiously for it,  or they have the money but given their economic position,  they might not want to risk their buffer just this minute,  thus building it up more towards the deadline.

I think as long as we hit the buy,  and it goes forward and everyone who wants one of these magnificent  sets gets one,  we are alllll good.

GMK y'all

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 08:00:19 »
What's the estimated time for this GB to finish? January 2016?
I couldn't say. It depends on how long it takes for GMK to produce the sets.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 13:53:20 »

On a personal note, I like the set but I am not sure I really want it. I try to minimize impulsive buys especially in our hobby. In addition it is a bit more expensive than what I used to pay for keycaps GBs. Putting time in it helps me be sure I want it. I don't want to buy every key set I like and end up with 15+ keyset I never use. :)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 14:18:54 »

On a personal note, I like the set but I am not sure I really want it. I try to minimize impulsive buys especially in our hobby. In addition it is a bit more expensive than what I used to pay for keycaps GBs. Putting time in it helps me be sure I want it. I don't want to buy every key set I like and end up with 15+ keyset I never use. :)

You need to buy more boards then ;)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #209 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 14:22:21 »

This man gets it  :p

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #210 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:10:58 »
If anyone from the Toronto/GTA area wants to go in on shipping to save a little, PM me.  Willing to drive to pickup or deliver depending on who they get sent to!

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #211 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:52:04 »

This man gets it 
The same logic applies to keyboards. I can justify to myself having only two boards as this is only what I need (one for personal and one for professional use). Although I admit being tempted pretty often.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:52:43 »

I have only two mx boards and yet I have so many key sets: Bro set, Toxic, Ivan's Dolch and coming soon: GMK Hyperfuse, Originative GMK Cyrillic, GMK Triumph Adler. I like Classic Beige too but two things is putting me on a hold: the superficial exchange rate and the recent quality of TA. And yet, FOMO is all too real  :))

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 03:04:04 »

I have only two mx boards and yet I have so many key sets: Bro set, Toxic, Ivan's Dolch and coming soon: GMK Hyperfuse, Originative GMK Cyrillic, GMK Triumph Adler. I like Classic Beige too but two things is putting me on a hold: the superficial exchange rate and the recent quality of TA. And yet, FOMO is all too real  :))
Yeah I feel you.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:05:34 »
People are waiting because the group leader, counting on the popularity of beige, has never talked about prices, payment methods, keys included in each set etc, so maybe that some are quite surprised by some quite original and hardly explainable choices.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:09:30 »

People are waiting because the group leader, counting on the popularity of beige, has never talked about prices, payment methods, keys included in each set etc, so maybe that some are quite surprised by some quite original and hardly explainable choices.
Wut? It's all discussed to great length in the Interest Check thread.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:12:56 »
The key selection has been the same for months and was visible for a very long time. The vast majority of people who have given feedback on it are happy with it.

I made it clear on numerous occasions that I would be using Stripe. Again, most people seem to have no problems whatsoever with Stripe.

I gave rough prices that were very close to the actual prices months ago.

If you don't like the set don't buy it. Just don't go making posts which are completely wrong.
github

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:30:50 »
Man, I really hope the Triumph Adler issues don't have a negative impact on this GB :(

People seem to be worried about the quality of GMK caps, although it's is pretty clear that the custom colors are to blame. The Hyperfuse GMK set that was produced in the same period of time, doesn't have any of these issues.

I really thought this would be a walk in the park and this set would reach MOQ in a week, but this thread doesn't have any hype...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:40:33 »
Hopefully it is just caused by the fact people have to pay right away on this and not only register on a google docs.
So lot of orders in the end?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jd29

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 04:49:31 »
This is one of the most beautiful keysets that I have ever seen. ~snip~
I don't know a lot about keycaps, and this post helped convince me to drop over $100 on this set. I'm building my own keyboard and I'm certain these caps will cost me more than every other component combined. Classic beige is my favorite color scheme and I don't want to miss it, and the way you make it sound, I hopefully won't have trouble selling it even if I end up going with an incompatible switch.

With its natural partner.. RGB :
I would definitely be in on that set if I could get the grey caps with colored legend casts:

107835-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:24:22 by jd29 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:13:24 »
Thanks for the reply, the main post of the IC didn't contain all those info, and the thread was very long.
This set is very good for US buyers, not so good for iso eu.
I was trying to be constructive, and to let you know the reason behind the lower than usual share of iso buyers.

The key selection has been the same for months and was visible for a very long time. The vast majority of people who have given feedback on it are happy with it.

I made it clear on numerous occasions that I would be using Stripe. Again, most people seem to have no problems whatsoever with Stripe.

I gave rough prices that were very close to the actual prices months ago.

If you don't like the set don't buy it. Just don't go making posts which are completely wrong.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 07:25:09 »
Hopefully it is just caused by the fact people have to pay right away on this and not only register on a google docs.

I know that Hyperfuse had a really big number of orders right at the end as well
Presumably for this reason

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 13:50:01 »

I know that Hyperfuse had a really big number of orders right at the end as well
Presumably for this reason
I think there was something like 650+ orders on Hyperfuse in total. I don't recall the exact number but Bunny was quite pleased by its success.

Offline skuko

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 03:50:02 »
so, errr....how does it look like? i shudder at the thought of this not making the MOQ  :-X

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 03:57:23 »
so, errr....how does it look like? i shudder at the thought of this not making the MOQ  :-X

That would be my worst nightmare!

When the deadline approaches and we are close to MOQ I could add another set to my order and sell it later.

I guess if the hardcore fans of classic beige do the same, we can make it  :thumb:

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #225 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 06:58:22 »
Geez, y'all the GB will be open for more than another month!  No need to start hand-wringing over MOQ just yet.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 07:24:51 »
Better be safe than sorry    :p

Offline DVH

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 07:55:41 »
Cheap price and beautiful, i'll take it

Offline jd29

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 13:00:26 »
I want to use the wide modifiers from R5, but the 7u spacebar to match them is from R4. Does that mean the spacebar profile won't match?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 13:02:40 »
I want to use the wide modifiers from R5, but the 7u spacebar to match them is from R4. Does that mean the spacebar profile won't match?

there is no R5 spacebar (in replica or Original set).
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 13:04:16 »
Yeah, spacebars have a unique profile. They are always the same regardless of the profile of the bottom row.
github

Offline jd29

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 15:49:20 »
Oh, I see. Thanks. If they look like the ones on Originative (http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets/products/classic-beige-with-blue-legends), I don't think that'll bother me at all.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 02:49:41 »
a question about ship ways is that i could only choose first class of USPS but no USPS Priority to ship these keycaps to China.
I want to choose USPS Priority, how i could change the ship ways? thank you

Offline xqwtz

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:54:47 »
I don't intend to be rude here, but what about that picture convinced you that non-symmetrical would be fine?  Non-symmetrical is the "standard" established decades ago, and there are countless pictures that show it.  O.o

In that picture, the white |\ keycap caught my attention and I decided to make a quick mockup to understand what was happening.

Turns out I love the result.

Show Image

Colors and legends may not be accurate because I'm using a bad monitor right now.

TL;DR: OCD, basically.

The whole point is, character keys are one color, modifier keys are another color. To me (and a lot of other people), this is logical which outweighs the visual imbalance of asymmetry.

Actually, there's nothing symmetrical about keyboard symmetry unless you're using a Planck or Atomic.

I agree with this.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:59:46 »
If you're having trouble with getting orders, maybe it's time to change the name to Hellgrau.  Sounds badass and is the true name of the set color.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 15:51:10 »
If you're having trouble with getting orders, maybe it's time to change the name to Hellgrau.  Sounds badass and is the true name of the set color.

He's got a point. I would immediately order if the name was changed to Hellgrau.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 15:51:18 »
isn't hellgrau this?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 16:01:59 »
isn't hellgrau this?

Show Image

Thats what I thought as well

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 16:50:25 »
F and J have a dash or a deep dish?
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 16:52:46 by Giorgio »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:02:49 »
isn't hellgrau this?

Show Image

Could be and I'm retarded.  I just like the name   :-[

Offline jd29

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:09:23 »
Could be and I'm retarded.  I just like the name   :-[
It certainly is a badass word, even by German standards.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:24:29 »
F/J are scooped :)

a question about ship ways is that i could only choose first class of USPS but no USPS Priority to ship these keycaps to China.
Hey, currently we're just doing USPS First Class for international orders unless it's a larger order. USPS Priority is what we're using for CONUS orders.

Hellgrau is definitely the all (off-)white colour scheme prelim posted :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:26:41 by Photekq »
github

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:27:58 »
In for 5 sets of each, lets hit this MOQ pls

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:39:01 »
It's still quite a while until this ends, mate.

Calm down there.  :-*

I still have yet to place an order, and probably a lot of people will pour in here soon.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 17:39:50 »
It's still quite a while until this ends, mate.

Calm down there.  :-*

I still have yet to place an order, and probably a lot of people will pour in here soon.
I still have to place the order as well, I am just putting it down so I don't forget. I will probably put 4 of them in the store.

Offline E3E

« Reply #245 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 18:12:21 »

It is incredibly easy to be impulsive in this hobby, unfortunately. XP All of these keysets look too beautiful to pass up. My pockets aren't deep enough to afford it all, haha. So I'd better get back to making them deeper!  :thumb:

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 20:07:06 »
I would not rule out TA having a negative effect on this group buy. A lot of people feel burned and uncertain that GMK is still worth the premium. I don't feel that way, but it's easy to understand.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 20:11:21 »
I would not rule out TA having a negative effect on this group buy. A lot of people feel burned and uncertain that GMK is still worth the premium. I don't feel that way, but it's easy to understand.
Hopefully I'll be able to have a fairly lengthy discussion with GMK about quality concerns soon. I'm just waiting for their rep to return from his holiday.
github

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 22:42:30 »
All will be well when Hyperfuse arrives on our doorsteps and people see that GMK with stock colors is still a premium product.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 02:35:18 »
I'll never understand why such a fundamental point is overlooked, with some group buys only offering scoops, other offering a dot, and others offering the only logical solution, the raised "homing bar" near the bottom edge on the 'F' and 'J' keys :-)

Is it easy to adapt?

F/J are scooped :)

Hey, currently we're just doing USPS First Class for international orders unless it's a larger order. USPS Priority is what we're using for CONUS orders.

Hellgrau is definitely the all (off-)white colour scheme prelim posted :))