Author Topic: Unicomp ... wtf happened?  (Read 2983 times)

Offline dante

Unicomp ... wtf happened?
« on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:40:39 »
Check out this wayback machine link from March 3, 2000.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000303094140/http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Take a look how nice and personal the website used to be.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Unicomp ... wtf happened?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:44:39 »
Well at least their look hasn't changed?

****ing angelfire looking site
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:50:10 »
Well at least their look hasn't changed?

****ing angelfire looking site

Still better than the Keyboard Co. and Fentek websites.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:55:15 »
Well keyboard co is euro and they still have kings and **** so I'm not surprised they're stuck in the past.

Fentek sells keyboards and keyboard accessories. Makes sense it would have a bunch of text. They use their products. That's a company I'd trust.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:04:05 »
Keyboard Co's web site Just Works.

No need to make it  more complicated than it already is. The compact text-oriented format is a blessing. Easy to navigate. No product is hidden. If you need to search, just press Ctrl-F.
🍉

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:14:22 »
Keyboard Co's web site Just Works.

No need to make it  more complicated than it already is. The compact text-oriented format is a blessing. Easy to navigate. No product is hidden. If you need to search, just press Ctrl-F.

The site needs more Benny Hill.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:18:17 »
Well keyboard co is euro and they still have kings and **** so I'm not surprised they're stuck in the past.

Fentek sells keyboards and keyboard accessories. Makes sense it would have a bunch of text. They use their products. That's a company I'd trust.

At least our leaders aren't shouting about menstruation.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:23:57 »

At least our leaders aren't shouting about menstruation.

They're too busy having sex with kids to worry about oppressing women and complaining how their body works.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 09:05:31 »
On this page https://web.archive.org/web/20000303193450/http://www.pckeyboard.com/ep104.htm it says
Customers who require or prefer a quiet keyboard will select the new Whisper Spring TM model of the EP/104. The new Whisper Spring TM technology delivers the same clicky feel as the buckling spring, yet is extremely quiet.
Why isn't Unicomp making this anymore?!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 15:06:08 »
On this page https://web.archive.org/web/20000303193450/http://www.pckeyboard.com/ep104.htm it says
Customers who require or prefer a quiet keyboard will select the new Whisper Spring TM model of the EP/104. The new Whisper Spring TM technology delivers the same clicky feel as the buckling spring, yet is extremely quiet.

It's just greased springs. You can do it yourself :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 16:56:33 »
It's just greased springs. You can do it yourself

The cheapest Model M from ebay that I ever bought was a botched grease job that hopelessly ruined the board.

I took it apart, threw the spring/pivot-plate assemblies into the garbage, scrubbed the whole thing with hot soapy water, and rebuilt it.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 17:03:09 »

It's just greased springs. You can do it yourself :)
What kind of grease? Also, how quiet will it be after applying grease? I can't find any video or sound clip of greased buckling spring.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:20:30 »
Probably be better off with a floss mod than grease.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:38:14 »
I should be receiving my UltraClassic 103 on Saturday.

I know the board will be a little rough around the edges - but I'm curious to see if they have fixed two flaws:

1. I've read that the USB adapter they are using is very flaky.  This made me kick myself for not getting PS/2 and use a high quality adapter.
2. Also the keyboards have no cable strain relief so I will be very careful with this as well.

Offline dante

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:00:46 »
Just received my board a day early!

Compared to the Kentucky Wildcats I had a couple years back the quality is about the same; the casing feels a bit stiffer likely due to having less case but the front seam looks like if I dropped the keyboard it would come apart in the front.

All the clacky goodness is there although going off memory either my hands have gotten stronger or the spring action has gotten lighter - or both.  Doesn't feel as stiff as my previous Unicomp but again this is only after 5 min of using it.

All in all 8/10, would buy again.  If MassDrop does another beige on black Unicomp w/ an option for 103 setup (which looks infinitely better than the new 104) I'll probably pick it up.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:04:39 »
Just received my board a day early!

All in all 8/10, would buy again.  If MassDrop does another beige on black Unicomp w/ an option for 103 setup (which looks infinitely better than the new 104) I'll probably pick it up.

How are the legends on the keys themselves?  Are they crisp and clear, or foggy and blurry?
I wonder.

Here's a picture of my 103 from 01-Dec-2014:

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:18:55 »
How are the legends on the keys themselves?  Are they crisp and clear, or foggy and blurry?

I'm not a connoisseur of legends - they look crisp to me - no complaints.  My number pad numbers however are riding very high with the 0/ins (worst offender) almost at the top edge of the key. :)  Eh, it is what it is.

I know it's probably new keyboard euphoria talking but for $89 on a keyboard made in America with nice feeling PBT caps - they did a very good job.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 19:17:20 »
My number pad numbers however are riding very high with the 0/ins (worst offender) almost at the top edge of the key.

IBM did this even back in the 1980s. I got one early 1391401 with the legends literally crammed into the upper left corners.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015