Author Topic: Should I wait for Pok3r backlit?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
Should I wait for Pok3r backlit?
« on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 08:39:44 »
After a long time using my MX Blue Razer BWU 2013 (cant stand their new switch after this version) I only use my Orbweaver for gaming. It may be the time for me to clear some space on my desk with 60%. After long days and nights on GH I choosed Poker as my next target :D As Pok3r Backlit ISO-Layout version is not coming out at least till Christmas (Vortex has answered my question of ETA on FB), I am very confused not to wait for it. Here are some of my concerns:

- My setup needs only green backlit. (Mouse and PC case are all modded in green LEDs)
- Form factor of Poker 2 and Pok3r are not different
- I haven't used a programable keyboard so cant tell the differences
- Poker 2 ISO is now hard to find but the price/performance seems to be very nice.

Can you guys, who have experienced both versions, give me some advices? and pls forgive my bad English ^^ Im a vietnamese living in Germany :D

Offline primered6

Re: Should I wait for Pok3r backlit?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 14:07:26 »
Hey there.

I can understand you wanting to wait for a pok3r in backlit ISO, but if you're not after it for better programming why not get a poker 2?
As I understand the main differences are:

1) More programming layers 3 instead of 2
2) The stock aluminum case
3) Revised function layer.

Which if you not really bothered about the above you COULD just get a poker 2 as its probably cheaper and available in the way you describe (If you can still find one...)  :p

Though I too have a green LED back-lit poker 2 in UK-ISO. and have had no problems with it, and you can still get them on amazon from time to time as I got mine on their for the sum of £70 (or ~ $109/€98).

That's just my opinion; its up to you though (Though a metal shiny Pok3r is also good  :D)
GNU Terry Pratchett.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 17:30:13 »
From what I've heard, the Pok3r has everything necessary on the PCB for LEDs, they just aren't included. If that's correct, you could simply solder on the LEDs and use that. I'm not 100% sure though, as I don't own one, and I haven't tried it!

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:03:19 »
Hey there.

I can understand you wanting to wait for a pok3r in backlit ISO, but if you're not after it for better programming why not get a poker 2?

Which if you not really bothered about the above you COULD just get a poker 2 as its probably cheaper and available in the way you describe (If you can still find one...)  :p

Though I too have a green LED back-lit poker 2 in UK-ISO. and have had no problems with it, and you can still get them on amazon from time to time as I got mine on their for the sum of £70 (or ~ $109/€98).

That's just my opinion; its up to you though (Though a metal shiny Pok3r is also good  :D)

Yeah the metal case is a big temptation I muss confess :D

From what I've heard, the Pok3r has everything necessary on the PCB for LEDs, they just aren't included. If that's correct, you could simply solder on the LEDs and use that. I'm not 100% sure though, as I don't own one, and I haven't tried it!

Vortex has official confirmed that the PCB will not support DIY LEDs :( may be they take that function out of controller. I can see resistants and LED holes, but it is reasonable that Vortex wont let us self-mod LED on non-backlit version to force us to buy backlit version :(

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:04:30 »
Hey there.

Which if you not really bothered about the above you COULD just get a poker 2 as its probably cheaper and available in the way you describe (If you can still find one...) 

Yeah the metal case is a big temptation I muss confess :D

Vortex has official confirmed that the PCB will not support DIY LEDs :( may be they take that function out of controller. I can see resistants and LED holes, but it is reasonable that Vortex wont let us self-mod LED on non-backlit version to force us to buy backlit version :(
That sucks. I'd be fine with them doing that, had they released an led one at the same time. Making us wait sucks!

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 01:02:25 »
buy one now and buy one with backlight later

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 01:46:51 »
buy one now and buy one with backlight later
But then I'd have two, and my better half wouldn't be too happy with that... :P

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 10:44:16 »

Yes and no. Yes, the hardware is there for dual-color LED's, but no, the current firmware doesn't support it. Unless you can overwrite Vortex's firmware, it won't be supported.

Anyways, I love my backlit Poker 2, I'd say it will be worth the wait. Or you could get in on one of those 60% PCB buys and make a bad*** keyboard to your heart's desire.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:46:14 »

Yes and no. Yes, the hardware is there for dual-color LED's, but no, the current firmware doesn't support it. Unless you can overwrite Vortex's firmware, it won't be supported.

Anyways, I love my backlit Poker 2, I'd say it will be worth the wait. Or you could get in on one of those 60% PCB buys and make a bad*** keyboard to your heart's desire.

Im a newbie to this keyboardgame and to soldering as well, so that to build one from scratch maybe out of my reach and budget :D anw, is there a "starter kit" can you recommend?