Author Topic: Designing the next Topre keycap set  (Read 155310 times)

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
Re: Designing the next Topre keycap set
« Reply #400 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 02:06:37 »
Whooo FC660C support!! Guess I gotta find a new home for my dyesubs once this launches :(

Anyway it would be nice to have an updated OP so people don't have to dig through the thread to see what the planned design is going to look like. Should be this:
Show Image

Thanks for posting this. Saved me some flipping through the thread again :p

TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline mixenmatch

« Reply #401 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:44:04 »
So Matt3o, when does the yellow PBT topre spacebar drop to match the new set :P?

(and to make a primary color set possible with the blue esc/red ctrl)

Offline Kola93

« Reply #402 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:57:40 »
Matt3o, would you consider going with a more traditional design, such as text only, with Red mods, Black alphas?

Or even better, all Red keycaps! ^-^

For a classy looking keyboard, I feel that more people would prefer the traditional Topre text legends.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 01:38:24 »
we will have a PBT spacebar.

it seems though Topre is having some afterthoughts about compatibility with other keyboards. I'm still waiting a final decision on that.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 01:42:02 »

it seems though Topre is having some afterthoughts about compatibility with other keyboards. I'm still waiting a final decision on that.

Boo! Offering a HHKB layout will  guarantee sales for sure.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:19:02 by ccc24 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #405 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:23:44 »
Including the other layouts will give them a lot more sales.

Probably.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bucake

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 06:04:47 »
aww, that would be a shame.

thanks for keeping us up to date matt3o!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #407 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:30:39 »

I hope HHKB is supported. It's just the shift key mostly...the rest can be scrounged up from the regular set. No HHKB would be a bit like shooting themselves in the foot though I know business is a bit different in Japan.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #408 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:45:19 »

Dear Topre,

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #409 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:13:30 »
If you can quash their fears and get us the extra compatibility we will sing ballads of you to our grandchildren, matt3o.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:18:49 »
Remember, people, we are talking about Japan here.  ;D Completely different mindset.

"Make my keycaps as widespread on the market as possible" is more like the western way of thinking.

Topre never even bothered to sell their own keyboards on the international market, let alone accessories for some other company's product. So I'm not really optimistic about this, but then again, I'm not optimistic about anything, so don't mind me, just passing by...  ;D

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #411 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:59:30 »
Remember, people, we are talking about Japan here.  ;D Completely different mindset.

"Make my keycaps as widespread on the market as possible" is more like the western way of thinking.

Topre never even bothered to sell their own keyboards on the international market, let alone accessories for some other company's product. So I'm not really optimistic about this, but then again, I'm not optimistic about anything, so don't mind me, just passing by...  ;D

hmm it was a surprise they were thinking about offering extra compatibility. i really hope they follow through.

.. and this is from someone who has uses a topre approved 'proper' realforce - i have no desire to use a HHKB or FC660C but it just seems like common sense they will sell more units if they support them!

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #412 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 19:30:07 »
if the just add the short right shift ill be happy.

Offline Butter

« Reply #413 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:11:28 »
Damn I want a new set for my Fc660c :(

Offline whiskerbiskit

« Reply #414 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:48:47 »
A google search for topre keysets lead me to this post and now I am pretty pumped about the designs in the OP.  Should have known it was Matt3o up to it.  They look great and I am holding out hope for HHKB compatibility.

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #415 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:51:56 »
The FC660C seems to be the red headed step child of 60% boards.
Custom KC60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #416 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:24:22 »

FC660C seems to have more keycap options (at least across variations of the board) then HHKB, which has only black or white, printed or blank.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:28:19 »

FC660C seems to have more keycap options (at least across variations of the board) then HHKB, which has only black or white, printed or blank.
I meant more that it seems to get ignored more by group buy creators. I always see them mention HHKB but rarely ever the fc660.
Custom KC60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #418 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:36:58 »

I meant more that it seems to get ignored more by group buy creators. I always see them mention HHKB but rarely ever the fc660.

There are very few, if any, group buys for Topre keycap sets.

Now there is a new Topre keycap set in the works, and FC660C compatibility, as well as HHKB support, would make a lot of people very happy.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #419 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 04:26:36 »
topre pls, don't let me down babe. HHKB4lyfe <3

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #420 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:11:56 »
What a great time to become a keyboard enthusiast! If they don't want to go with HHKB compatibility just tell them in western culture it is customary to include a gift such as a replica of the shift key but slightly smaller for...... uh......key chains.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #421 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:06:10 »
wouldn't change my blank hhkb caps, even if this set came with compatibility :P
but i'll be doing the hhkb-dance for all of you fans out there!

i'm still totally curious to the final look of this set,
i pray everyday.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #422 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:08:38 »
There needs to be a second left shift added to the set for proper fc660c support.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #423 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:19:30 »
Yeah, it needs FC660C support. It doesn't have to be included, I don't mind paying extra, but it needs to be available.

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #424 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:50:51 »
I would love HHKB/FC660M support.  Perhaps a poll to show Topre how much support we have behind this? 

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #425 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:57:34 »
I dunno, a poll could backfire since we don't know their standards.  I would be willing to pay extra for compatibility, but I assume the issue is more so that they simply don't want to be bothered with the effort for supporting non-realforce products.

if it is the latter, hopefully we'll at least get 23U support >_>

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #426 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:06:30 »

if it is the latter, hopefully we'll at least get 23U support >_>

Yep.  Personally I would say 23U>HHKB>FC660C in terms of support.  I mean come on, 23U is a RF product. 

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #427 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 19:51:42 »
skull skuadron Topre set look awasome..  :-*

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:41:29 »
Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a final decision...

this is going at kabuki-speed

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:01:52 »
topre pls, don't let me down babe. HHKB4lyfe <3

I would love to be able to customize my HHKB a bit more for sure. Only a few artisans support it, no case options, no keyset options... But it is an amazing keyboard.

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:04:33 »

Ah no worries... I think most of us will be happy just to get a set for topre period!!!

Hopefully this goes over really well and they see this can be very good for their brand as a whole...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline yomammary

« Reply #431 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:17:59 »

Ah no worries... I think most of us will be happy just to get a set for topre period!!!

Hopefully this goes over really well and they see this can be very good for their brand as a whole...
Gives us more time to save money first haha
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline frostylove

« Reply #432 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:50:14 »
My hhkb gonna change a lot! :'(
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 19:37:27 »
My hhkb gonna change a lot! :'(

Hopefully HHKB support will be included.

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:14:47 »
I suppose the worst case scenario HHKB users could just use a artisan shift key. Maybe a maker like Kudos would be wiling to make one that color matches the set if it is just one key.

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #435 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 14:42:09 »
I suppose the worst case scenario HHKB users could just use a artisan shift key. Maybe a maker like Kudos would be wiling to make one that color matches the set if it is just one key.

That's.....actually a really great idea!

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #436 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:13:47 »

That's.....actually a really great idea!

Yeah! my first non s*** post!

Offline jsmonet

« Reply #437 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 03:07:42 »
I'll probably have to burn a key or two putting this on my 103u, but the second set I buy for my 87u should be just fine.

release the massdrop. destroy my wallet.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #438 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:02:27 »

I think they'll at least provide JIS keys so right Shift shouldn't be a problem. Unless HHKB Shift is somehow different?
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline Bucake

« Reply #439 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:25:10 »

I think they'll at least provide JIS keys so right Shift shouldn't be a problem. Unless HHKB Shift is somehow different?

i presume they are the same (1.75 and same row), so i guess JIS support should provide HHKB support :o

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:56:53 »
if they plan on producing a new keyset they should produce some individual 55g domes as well  :p

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #441 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:58:43 »
if they plan on producing a new keyset they should produce some individual 55g domes as well  :p

Technically they only need to sell those domes individually, they already produce them  :thumb:

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #442 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 23:12:10 »
...this is maybe the most wanted rerun of any product ever.  ;D

Granite and Ergodox Infinity would like to have a word with you.

Anyway it would be nice to have an updated OP so people don't have to dig through the thread to see what the planned design is going to look like. Should be this:
Show Image

Thanks for this dude  :thumb:

(I nearly cast a vote for the purple colorway.)

Offline crbr

« Reply #443 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:47:42 »
I have been looking for realforce keys for a month now.   Thanks a ton for this!

Any change we can get a custom layout for the 23U as well?  That + key on the full keyboard layout won't work with the 23U.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:45:32 »
I have not been keeping up with this thread.  Are there front runners in terms of the proposed designs?  Do we know which will be made yet?  I am still hoping for the Teal or the Purple.

Are all the design options that are on the table in the OP?  Will there be a vote or something to have a formal popularity comparison?

Sorry if this stuff has already been covered.  I don't want to have to go back and read through the whole thread...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #445 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:05:22 »
The group buy should start in few hours. Unfortunately despite all my efforts Topre didn't want to add HHKB compatibility (initially they seemed okay with that but changed their minds a couple of times along the road).

This is only the first step in our collaboration anyway, if they see interest it is very likely that the next time they'll agree on a wider compatibility.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #446 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:08:35 »
Hopefully there will be another buy with HHKB compatibility. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't like the Skull Squadron colors anyway. Still awesome that this is happening.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #447 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:10:00 »
The group buy should start in few hours. Unfortunately despite all my efforts Topre didn't want to add HHKB compatibility (initially they seemed okay with that but changed their minds a couple of times along the road).

This is only the first step in our collaboration anyway, if they see interest it is very likely that the next time they'll agree on a wider compatibility.

Holy shoot, that's soon. November is packed!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #448 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:56:09 »
very quick render

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #449 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 14:41:45 »
very quick render

Show Image

=) I really like this. I wonder how good it will look on the digilog.