Author Topic: Anyone play Dungeons and Dragons?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Anyone play Dungeons and Dragons?
« on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 21:53:15 »
So, I was watching I, Frankenstein tonight, and I thought, by 3.0/3.5 rules, would the monster be considered a fighter or a barbarian?

Then this lead to, I want to play again.  Now I am looking to try and find another group to play with.  I had fun with our last group but both DMs from that group had a bad God complex.  Any suggestions where to start looking?

I would prefer to play offline.  The difficult part is I like the hack and slash and dungeon crawling, but the wife likes the story line and actual role playing side of things.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Anyone play Dungeons and Dragons?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:22:34 »
It has been many, many years since I last played proper D&D with paper, pencils, DM guide etc.

Brings back a lot of memories :)

Unfortunately I don't have time any more, and computer games have sort of taken over.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:30:04 by Bro Caps »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:31:05 »
I would love to play a serious long term campaign. Only played short weekend long sessions which were crazy fun.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:55:53 »
Thanks for the link Bro Caps.  I would also like to say if I do find a group for table top offline, I want to try out 5e, but my previous DMs are strictly 3/3.5E, probably mostly due to being to cheap to buy new books.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 23:22:12 »
I still do pnprpg when I can.  Great fun.  Good luck in your travels good Melvang.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 23:23:04 »
I still do pnprpg when I can.  Great fun.  Good luck in your travels good Melvang.

Thanks binge, I think I am going to stop by the local comic/game book shop.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:53:01 »
I miss playing DnD.  It's a ton of fun.  Pathfinder is a lot of fun too (DnD 3.0e/3.5e mod)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:59:00 »
I miss playing DnD.  It's a ton of fun.  Pathfinder is a lot of fun too (DnD 3.0e/3.5e mod)

YES, pathfinder is awesomesauce.  I still also very much enjoy the white-wolf system.  I played a lot of those back in the day.  Would love to do a mage campaign at some point.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:18:33 »
I just enjoyed playing druids (though Pathfinder makes them more of a pain since you need more totems and the like).  They're super underpowered and super overpowered at the same time.  I remember we had a campaign where we went up against a dragon that was supposed to kill us.  We hunted a deer and brought the fresh kill stuffed with poison mushrooms to the dragon.  I dragged it in, it ate the deer, then tried to eat me, but I used meld into stone and it just slowly died while I waited it out as it tried to attack me and did attack some of my companions.

Of course, none of that would have happened if I wasn't a chaotic neutral druid who was trying to "commune with nature" and accidentally ate the wrong mushrooms.

If someone wanted to do an online game, I'd definitely be in as soon as my internet at home starts working again.  I'm a bit rusty, but I'm sure it will come back.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:21:40 »
If anyone wants to start a group online I would be interested. I've only played once before but it was quite fun.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 12:44:26 »
I find it's hard to get online groups going. We tried to get one on GH going but it fell apart before things started. And I was playing a 40K version with some old friends which fell apart because of everyone's different schedules.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 20:06:35 »
For online play, besides Fantasy Grounds there's also Roll20. Works really nicely, currently in a 5e game using it.

I'm not as heavily into D&D as I used to be, I live in the sticks now and there's no local player base.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 23:51:32 »
For online play, besides Fantasy Grounds there's also Roll20. Works really nicely, currently in a 5e game using it.

I'm not as heavily into D&D as I used to be, I live in the sticks now and there's no local player base.

Just made an account on Roll20.  Any chance you could help me out?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 03:21:57 »
I used to play back in my teens and had tons of fun. I never looked into it again since then and didn't realized these virtual options existed.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 06:27:10 »
I have just this week started looking into what all this D&D stuff is all about. I have no idea why I never got into it before, but it's probably because nobody I knew was ever into it. I started watching some games on youtube and it is really entertaining as anything can happen. Made a Roll20 account just to see what it's all about and it looks really slick.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 08:24:23 »
I still run a game monthly but I'm not happy with how it is going at the moment. I have too many players who are passive and just expect me to tell them a story.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 17:03:35 »
Well between a couple friends and some of the wifes coworkers we are going to be starting a campaign.  One guy of the new guys is driving his own hype train for this, and he has only had one previous session but it was something else.  Well he wants to play a Dragonborn (playable race in 5E PHB) with acid breath but drools when he sleeps.

I think I am going to come up with a half mountain dwarf, half drow dex based fighter for my toon.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 17:22:16 »
Aren't dwarves and elves enemies?

Troll characters are the best (not the race, but ones you have elaborate ruses and stories around).  If I do another game, I want to play a troll or orc warrior who believes he's a wizard or sorcerer that uses power magic.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 17:25:53 »
If anyone wants me a part of their group then I would be willing to join easily.
Just send me a PM and I will be willing to play online. I don't think I would mind since I can still sort of use pen and paper on my end. Wouldn't affect me too much.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 18:53:56 »
Been a few years since I played.. last campaign I was in was a Pathfinder campaign