Author Topic: Another hardware Layout Converter  (Read 1732 times)

Offline PaulBeaudet

Another hardware Layout Converter
« on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 12:03:26 »
This may oddly be my first post in geekhack though I've lurked now and again.

Yesterday I put some code together that is probably relevant here. A Yun based layout converter.
Code can be found on GitHub - https://github.com/PaulBeaudet/Yun_Qwerty_to_Dvorak
Its more a hack then anything, but I'm typing with it right now.
Right no the code does the Qwerty to Dvorak conversion (w/ caps as backspace), but this can easily be changed by a non-programmer by editing a python file.

Backstory: Have had an Arduino Yun kicking about that a company sent me as a promotional thing last year. Had a hard time telling the marketing person at this company the Yun is awful so they shouldn't really promote it. Plus it is made by the "Other Arduino" blasphemy. Her retort "Well you should still promote our Canadian company in a blog post or something even though your are an American". Paraphrase of course, she was really nice despite some obvious (to me) misunderstanding. Honestly I would have had them keep it if i new they wanted me to promote a foreign company that was a mismatch for the people I was sharing projects with. After a few projects that the Yun was a misfit for, its just been lying around for a few months.

Having done this conversion thing with ps2 before I really wanted to do it with my USB Cooler Master N-Key rollover board that I bought for Plover. So a couple of days ago I decided to put the Yun to use.

Coming here to with idea that this might be useful to a couple of other people. Come to find out Hasu already posted was looks to be an awesome converter. If you don't already have the Yun I would say just use Hasu's project. If you do happen to have a Yun and want to use this, keep in mind set-up is no walk in the park and there is no support for N-Key rollover but 6-key works fine.

TL; DR - Think the Yun is expensive trash, but here is a cool Yun project if you have one.

Still working on an auto-start as of now also. Follow here for a progress report on that-> http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=342596

Offline mrflow3r

• T
Re: Another hardware Layout Converter
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:13:05 »
Cool project! Curious, what's wrong with Yun and what's the story behind the other arduino blasphemy?

Offline PaulBeaudet

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 14:50:54 »
Cool project! Curious, what's wrong with Yun and what's the story behind the other arduino blasphemy?

The Yun: TL:DR - great if you know what you are doing or half know what you are doing (me). Bad if you are new to Arduino. Its a bit complicated.

Arduino Drama: The Yun (and I could be wrong about this, feel free to correct) is exclusively produced by the manufacturing partner that jilted arduino.cc team (the public face of arduino most are familiar with) out of agreed upon royalties. The the manufacture initially paid for a long while.

This is mainly because this manufacturing partner had registered the trademark in Italy without the team's consent in the early days. Eventually getting to the point where they (the italian manufacture) felt that they were just "Arduino". Which may legally be the truth in Italy. They stopped paying the royalties. As result the .cc team as one might imagine had much less money to operate.

The whole thing is a mess as far as I'm concerned, and I guess it obvious I have taken a side.

Offline PaulBeaudet

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 14:57:41 »
I did get the Auto start working by the way. Think I'll just update the readme for the autostart thing.

Right now I'm working on a.. for lack of a better term, detail speedometer. Basically shows speeds and typing statistics in the serial monitor.

Then I'm going build a logger, right now is a good point to get a fork of the "basic" thing. I'm more interested in using it for research.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 15:39:06 »

The Yun: TL:DR - great if you know what you are doing or half know what you are doing (me). Bad if you are new to Arduino. Its a bit complicated.

Arduino Drama: The Yun (and I could be wrong about this, feel free to correct) is exclusively produced by the manufacturing partner that jilted arduino.cc team (the public face of arduino most are familiar with) out of agreed upon royalties. The the manufacture initially paid for a long while.

This is mainly because this manufacturing partner had registered the trademark in Italy without the team's consent in the early days. Eventually getting to the point where they (the italian manufacture) felt that they were just "Arduino". Which may legally be the truth in Italy. They stopped paying the royalties. As result the .cc team as one might imagine had much less money to operate.

The whole thing is a mess as far as I'm concerned, and I guess it obvious I have taken a side.
Ah yes I heard of the breakup in the team. Now the *official* arduinos are marked as *genuino*. It was such a public event! And broke many hearts including mine lol

Offline PaulBeaudet

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 09:29:11 »
Now the *official* arduinos are marked as *genuino*.

Basically correct, but not completely, I think. They only have to do this for some localities like Italy and China. Not sure other manufacturing partners like Adafruit are using the alternative name very prominently if at all for release in markets like the US. Anyhow maybe thats a bit too pedantic  :D