Author Topic: Whats the deal with CC and other Artisan Keycaps  (Read 13578 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Whats the deal with CC and other Artisan Keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:11:42 »
i respect your honesty
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:12:19 »
He said half? That's a relief

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:15:08 »

He's just being nice. He meant most users.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:15:23 »

^
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:16:47 »

He called us shady ****s. Rude!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:17:04 »

only if it applies to you ;)
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 01:17:42 »
Oh.. I'll never sell this!!!

Wait!

Damn!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 02:35:38 »

Thank you for your input.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 04:05:32 »
what you need to know about artisan caps is half the users are shady ****s that complain about high prices then go to PMs and sell at high prices. don't believe anybody that says "oh i'd never sell this"

because even the most self righteous have a price.
Have you been reading my post too I have said this quite a few times it annoys me to no end especially when they try to be a blooming angels afterwards :I
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 04:18:09 »

I will say, that as someone whose grandmother was addicted to the Beanie Baby fad, I recommend that anyone that involves themselves in collecting any sort of non-necessity (ie. artisans), stop yourself and reflect on your situation. Ask yourself why you do it, think about what sacrifices you have made/will make to build your collection, and figure out what your long-term goal with it is/if you'll still appreciate it should your situation change. In general, it's certainly not "wrong" to be a collector of something, but it is very easy to get caught up in hobbies like this that have grown social and persuade yourself into spending time/money on it that you realistically shouldn't be for the "wrong" reasons.

This is some really good advice, not just for artisan caps.

+1

As a person with a natural "collecting" impulse, this is something I've been trying to be more mindful of recently.  It basically requires constant reminding of myself though - it's not easy!  :))

Yeah that's the reason I refuse myself to own more than 2 keyboards at the same time. I have owned 4 so far but I have only one remaining atm. The last thing that is bit hard to temper is the keysets. Too many beautiful ones. Well indeed I reasoned myself about the GMK classic and grabbed a Gateron blank beige/light grey. End result $40 instead of 160-170€.

I've realized my error the moment I was willing to drop $200 for a CC skull a year ago. Since then, I've pulled a hard handbrake and told myself that I will only go for retail price and through trade. While the FOMO beast is still wild within me, I'm able to contain it much more and I've found peace just enjoying other people photos and admiring what I have on hands. And I count my blessing that I was able to start a meager collection much earlier in the game. At the prices these days, it is only a game for the rich or crazy ones.

I don't understand how people would pay 1k for keys even 500. They are beautiful for sure but guys that's only a cap!

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 15:41:04 »
what you need to know about artisan caps is half the users are shady ****s that complain about high prices then go to PMs and sell at high prices. don't believe anybody that says "oh i'd never sell this"

Have you been reading my post too I have said this quite a few times it annoys me to no end especially when they try to be a blooming angels afterwards :I

Eh, there's some people like this, but if I ever sell a cap for more than retail or more than what I remember retail being, I fully expect and want to be called out for it since I firmly believe the market is ****ed and want no part in that.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 15:54:13 »

Eh, there's some people like this, but if I ever sell a cap for more than retail or more than what I remember retail being, I fully expect and want to be called out for it since I firmly believe the market is ****ed and want no part in that.
Mhh not you anyway, I wouldn't want to say who it is but they got a lot LOT for it as far as I know and cashed out on that just annoys me :X don't worry if you did nubs I would tell you :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
More

Offline fernandoap14

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:25:08 »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:31:26 »
Can someone explain what is morally objectionable about selling at above retail? We're not talking about gouging water or gasoline prices after a hurricane.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:40:11 »
Can someone explain what is morally objectionable about selling at above retail? We're not talking about gouging water or gasoline prices after a hurricane.

For me it's the fact that many people buy them just to flip them for a profit.  That's highly objectionable to me because it's people exploiting a market and creating a bubble.  It's like the people who bought and flipped Tickle Me Elmo dolls.  It's just being an *******.

This behavior is also exploitative of the artisan.  The artisan is deliberately trying to keep their good affordable and available to a larger group of people, but when people buy and flip for 3-10x what they paid for it, it's taking money out of the artisan's pocket since they could charge those prices but chose not to in order to maintain affordability.

I also take issue because it prices many people out of the market and causes other problems.  Many of the counterfeits have come around because people felt disenfranchised or saw the bubble and figured that they could make a buck from it. 

In the end, yes, it boils down to people making the choice to pay those prices.  I wish people would smarten up and refuse to be gouged.  It gets harder when you have people who deliberately inflate the market, who promote obscene prices, and people who bash people when try and maintain reasonable prices.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:43:20 »
gouging water or gasoline prices after a hurricane.
That is because artisans are our water and gas, but mainly I'm annoyed that people who say they won't do it quite often behind closed doors, otherwise I myself don't understand the argument that the artist does not get anything as its kinda like used video games the company does not get anything that made it but thats just me :X I feel like the market should in all right decide the price but they shouldn't be as high as they are now as its quite silly.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:45:41 »
I myself don't understand the argument that the artist does not get anything as its kinda like used video games the company does not get anything that made it but thats just me

Video game companies do not create a high demand item with low supply at an affordable price and then have people immediately flip it for massive profit.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:53:12 »
I myself don't understand the argument that the artist does not get anything as its kinda like used video games the company does not get anything that made it but thats just me

Video game companies do not create a high demand item with low supply at an affordable price and then have people immediately flip it for massive profit.
Nintendo Amiibos

Nintendo 3DS limited editions

This has been happening for years they do indeed also I would like to point out GK (garage kits) for figures mainly which are only sold via festivals such as wonfes and once sold out never remade, these are often sold for HUGE markups and are made by single sculptors, I just find that argument weak is all, as it happens in everything nothing on you nubs I think your lovely just the argument is kind of weak

Heck even GK get sold to company that remould them and sell those on as legitimate kits and the moulding on those are terrible!

Edit: and just for a little context one what I mean heres a video which is quite a nice watch as well :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:58:09 by Fire Brand »
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Whats the deal with CC and other Artisan Keycaps
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 21:16:18 »
I'm a believer in free markets. That the market should decide what something is sold for.

That said for any system to work, no matter what it is, there has to be a sense of morality and helping out your fellow man and not exploiting the system for your own gain. That's what I feel the gougers do: they exploit the (willing) buyers for their own ends. And then the counterfeiters exploit the artisan for their own means.

And I also, like others state, freaking hate when people say one thing and do something totally different.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a difference in what people can do and what people ought to do.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 08:28:49 »

For me it's the fact that many people buy them just to flip them for a profit.  That's highly objectionable to me because it's people exploiting a market and creating a bubble.  It's like the people who bought and flipped Tickle Me Elmo dolls.  It's just being an *******.

This behavior is also exploitative of the artisan.  The artisan is deliberately trying to keep their good affordable and available to a larger group of people, but when people buy and flip for 3-10x what they paid for it, it's taking money out of the artisan's pocket since they could charge those prices but chose not to in order to maintain affordability.

I also take issue because it prices many people out of the market and causes other problems.  Many of the counterfeits have come around because people felt disenfranchised or saw the bubble and figured that they could make a buck from it. 

In the end, yes, it boils down to people making the choice to pay those prices.  I wish people would smarten up and refuse to be gouged.  It gets harder when you have people who deliberately inflate the market, who promote obscene prices, and people who bash people when try and maintain reasonable prices.

That makes a ton of sense. While the artisans' goals are enviable, it seems unworkable in practice. Maybe they could reach the same goal by charging more at retail and using the profits to do more giveaways. This should cut out a lot of the speculators...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 09:13:03 »
Honestly I think people get too worked up about what people do with their property around here. It's one thing to buy a Clack/BroBot knowing full well you're going to sell it for profit but some I'm sure a lot of people don't envision that when they first buy them. I'll admit I've sold a couple of caps at above retail prices due to some tough times but I've also sold them at or below retail and gifted countless other caps away. It's not always a malicious thing, sometimes life takes priority over internet points.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 15:14:28 »
Honestly I think people get too worked up about what people do with their property around here. It's one thing to buy a Clack/BroBot knowing full well you're going to sell it for profit but some I'm sure a lot of people don't envision that when they first buy them. I'll admit I've sold a couple of caps at above retail prices due to some tough times but I've also sold them at or below retail and gifted countless other caps away. It's not always a malicious thing, sometimes life takes priority over internet points.

You have achieved balance.

The salt arises when someone deliberately enters sales with the sole intention of purchasing at retail and immediately reselling at many times retail price.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ