Author Topic: New Member Hello!  (Read 1325 times)

Offline breitling

New Member Hello!
« on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 22:13:54 »
Hey everyone. New member here. used to rock an IBM Model M for years and loved the clicky keys until I switched to a wireless keyboard because of the location of my computer relative to my desk. Never really gave it much though until I started looking at mechanical keyboards one day and realized I had moved my computer back to a location where I could run a wire easily again so Picked up a Corsair K70 on a whim and then a Das, and then Ducky year of the Horse shortly after and have placed about 4-5 keycap/set orders on massdrop in the last couple months.. its getting out of control. Now been contemplating a Filco just to see what the difference is, but really want to just get a GON custom just not sure if I want to assemble it myself or not.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: New Member Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 23:11:11 »
Hello and Welcome!

I had a similar start on here as you did, I used a Model M forever, migrated away to wireless and then came back in to mechanicals full swing. I use a Model M now (at home, too loud for the office) and it is still my favorite keyboard. There is just nothing like the feeling of it. And all those cap choices for MX compatible switches are something alright! All of sudden you look around and find you have twice as many sets as you do boards. Then you buy more boards to make up the difference. It is a never ending cycle, but a fun one.  :p

If you are not super strong in your soldering skills confidence, you could look at building out an Infinity first (sold on MD).  It is a much easier starting point for a first build, just solder in the switches and you are done. It is way, way less intimidating than SMD soldering (assuming you'd want SMD LEDs on the GON), in my opinion anyway. Otherwise the process is more or less the same. Plus, if you do make a mistake, you may not feel as bad about messing up an Infinity PCB as you would a GON that cost a small fortune just to ship. :) You should check out Sprit's PCBs too...those are nice to work with and he usually ships very fast. The boards I put together myself are always favorites, I think everyone should build one. There are a bunch of very experienced people around here who are always ready to help with advice.

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 05:46:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Massdrop has too many nice goodies.  But some good prices some times, so you can sort of try to justify it to yourself.  Until you see GH's group buys area.

Welcome to Wallethack!

PS. Any plans to get another Model M?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline breitling

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:25:18 »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'm quite proficient in soldering, however not anything surface mount like what appears to be common with the custom boards. I did a lot of audiophile hi-fi soldering like building and selling preamps, modding amps, and cables for about 5 years. Thanks for the tips, I will check out the infinity... I definitely would like to put together my own board there is something very personal about that process.

No plans to get another model M, there are just too many cool boards out there right now and I don't have enough room on my Leather desk mat to fit the model M and my mouse I don't think! That couple inches on each side is just a touch too much.

Been looking at GH's group buys and I think spending too much time here could definitely turn this into wallethack! Some very nice stuff.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 12:14:05 »
Once you go custom you'll never be able to buy pre-built again.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 12:15:43 »
+1

The only exception to this rule would be the really good vintage stuff, but that wouldn't be any easier on the wallet.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 17:05:34 »
Hey, this thread just bubbled to the surface: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58015.0

I'd either missed it before, or forgotten it.  A Bluetooth Model M!

If you'd known that back in the day you wouldn't have had to get rid of your original Model M ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline breitling

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 21:41:29 »

This seems to be the way most of my hobbies go... but life's too short not to enjoy it!

Bluetooth model m! That's brilliant!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 05:33:12 »

This seems to be the way most of my hobbies go... but life's too short not to enjoy it!

Bluetooth model m! That's brilliant!!

If you can imagine it, chances are someone around here has done it, or is planning to!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 22:38:26 »
old member hello
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.