Author Topic: [Help] Getting a black screen for about 2mins on boot before the post  (Read 2409 times)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Hoping a fellow GHer can help. I just upgraded my 5870 to an R9 390 and upgraded to windows 10 now when I boot I get a 2 - 3min (haven't timed yet but it's long) black screen before the post info comes up. Monitor does have signal it's just blank. Seems to boot as normal after that and I don't seem to have any other issues.

Board: Asus Maximus Extreme IV (P67 RevB)
VGA:   MSI R9 390 8GB
PSU:   Corsair HX850 (70a 12v rail)
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge
MEM: Corsair 1666 2x8gb
HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 256GB
COOLER: Thermalright silverarrow
OC: (Turbo)4.5Ghz 1.35CPUV

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: [Help] Getting a black screen for about 2mins on boot before the post
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 04:29:08 »
If it's before post then it's bios rather than OS, have you tried saving your bios settings and booting at stock speeds?

Delays before post are often due to trying and failing to detect drives, but that doesn't sound likely unless Windows 10 decided to update some firmware without your knowledge.  Their ad campaign suggests it's made for babies and babies would be confused by a question about firmware so maybe they do :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 04:38:05 »
If it's before post then it's bios rather than OS, have you tried saving your bios settings and booting at stock speeds?

Delays before post are often due to trying and failing to detect drives, but that doesn't sound likely unless Windows 10 decided to update some firmware without your knowledge.  Their ad campaign suggests it's made for babies and babies would be confused by a question about firmware so maybe they do :))

Yes I think that is the next step, will roll back to defaults and test and then maybe do a BIOS update, but that's about all I can think of other then a faulty card. Also can't find anyone online with the same issue. Which is weird in itself.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 07:09:27 »
It turns out it had nothing to do with the GPU, it was the asus xonar dx sound card..... no win 10 drivers or win 8 for that matter, asus are really the worst.