Author Topic: MS Access 2007/2010 Compact & Repair not working  (Read 1334 times)

Offline DarcyCptrx

MS Access 2007/2010 Compact & Repair not working
« on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:01:13 »
I have a database that I use in VB.  As records update theres a lot of useless info in there because access doesn't reuse the same spots.  So that information has to be removed.  Before I would use compact & repair and access 2000 and it would correct this.  It would correctly adjust the file size and remove all the wasted space or whatever happens in Access.

Compact and repair feature in 2007 and 2010 does not fix the file size.. why?

Offline FrankChar15

Re: MS Access 2007/2010 Compact & Repair not working
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 02:25:51 »
To move to a new container, just build a new, blank database and import everything into that new container. If you're using 2010 to do this, note you can create databases using the older .mdb format if needed (and if you're supporting users who are running 2003 or prior, you'll need to keep the .mdb format).

To do this:

1) Make a backup of your database
2) In the File tab, select the New option on the leftside menu
3) On the rightside, click the folder icon just next to the box where you type the FileName.
4) In the dialog that shows, locate the path to store the new database, and enter the name
5) Select the "Microsoft Access Databases (2002-2003 format)(*.mdb)" option in the "Save as type" dropdown.
6) Click the OK button

This will create a new database, in the location that you specify, with the name you specify.

Now open that database in 2010, and do this:

1) Click the External Data ribbon group
2) Click the Access item
3) Use the Browse button to locate the database from which you want to import the database
4) Be SURE to select the first option (i.e. the "Import tables, blah blah" option)
5) Click OK
6) In the Import Objects dialog, select the tables you want to import. Be sure to review the settings in the Options button to see if you need any of those (chances are you do not).
7) Click OK, and Access will import the selected objects to your new database

Now, close out the database and make a copy of it. Reopen the new database, and Compact it.

If you're still have troubles after that, then there is a good chance that you have troubles with the installation of Access/Office or Windows on your machine. Be sure that you've fully updated Office and Windows, and try again.

If you're still having troubles compacting, then you may need to hire a recovery service: eRepair Access http://access.erepairtools.com/