Author Topic: The Neutrino  (Read 4072 times)

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
The Neutrino
« on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 21:29:18 »
I've been looking for a keyboard with dedicated arrow keys and a 60% form factor, and came across the Neutrino while searching. Who here has built one? How difficult was it? I know how to solder, but I'm not sure on anything else (including what all I need to purchase). Any insights would be appreciated.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: The Neutrino
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 21:40:20 »
I can't comment regarding the Neutrino but if that's the layout you want, Kaliet's 22mini-ex fits the bill. 

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 21:52:03 »
I can't comment regarding the Neutrino but if that's the layout you want, Kaliet's 22mini-ex fits the bill.

That looks soooo good, but also pricey. Any idea what one of those runs?

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 21:54:41 »
This might be helpful: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70812.0

Also, 22mini-exe is ~$400 I believe.
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 21:55:13 »
It depends on what material you use and what options you go with.  I have a few of them and the cheapest was probably $300 ish with the most expensive being closer to $500.  Kaliet does really good work, though.  His soldering is clean and he's just a good guy in general.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 22:40:42 »
This might be helpful: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70812.0

Also, 22mini-exe is ~$400 I believe.

I saw that thread earlier while searching. Didn't seem to have much info on the actual build process.

It depends on what material you use and what options you go with.  I have a few of them and the cheapest was probably $300 ish with the most expensive being closer to $500.  Kaliet does really good work, though.  His soldering is clean and he's just a good guy in general.

I would maybe consider that if I decide note to build. The Neutrino kit is $85 since I already have switches, which is the main reason I was asking about a build.

I'm not necessarily set on the Neutrino if there are other customs out there. 

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 22:44:53 »
FWIW, I have a 22-mini [hype: that I will be selling soon on the Classifieds] - and he does excellent work. Highly recommended.

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 23:55:27 »
I picked up the Neutrino kit a few weeks ago. Jack sent me everything I need to get the project done, which is cool. Soldering the diodes for rows is super basic. The columns require a bit more work since stripping the wire is just a pain. I'm only halfway through that due to the time it takes. I haven't searched the internet to see if there's a better way yet. Once that's done, though, programming the thing should be a breeze. I've just got Matt3o's firmware guide bookmarked ready to go. Seems pretty straight forward.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 17:01:53 »
Assembling the Neutrino is similar to any other hand-wired keyboard.  It is time consuming and can be difficult at times.  However, because I am a hardware guy more than software guy, I had more trouble programming the software.  But that is just me.  I love to work with my hands and have difficulty getting motivated to toy around with software.

I had the Kaliet 22.  Good, solid keyboard, but the firmware programming can be a little annoying, because most of the instructions are in Korean rather than English.  Like I said, though, I'm not good with software.

Matteo is working on a 65% project that should be ready soon, and will have a PCB, which is much less hassle than hand wiring.  The latest here:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/group-build-prototyping-phase-t7474.html

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 17:05:50 »
Assembling the Neutrino is similar to any other hand-wired keyboard.  It is time consuming and can be difficult at times.  However, because I am a hardware guy more than software guy, I had more trouble programming the software.  But that is just me.  I love to work with my hands and have difficulty getting motivated to toy around with software.

I had the Kaliet 22.  Good, solid keyboard, but the firmware programming can be a little annoying, because most of the instructions are in Korean rather than English.  Like I said, though, I'm not good with software.

Matteo is working on a 65% project that should be ready soon, and will have a PCB, which is much less hassle than hand wiring.  The latest here:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/group-build-prototyping-phase-t7474.html

I saw his build on here, and will wait on that I think. I decided against hand wiring a board though. Thanks for the input.

Offline neverused

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 20:25:22 »
If you want to try the matrix style ortholinear keyboard, ortholinearkeyboards.com is the way to go. Jack the owner is incredibly helpful and accommodating. I bought a Planck from him and hardwired it first, which is really quite easy, but have since bought and assembled it with the pcb for easy mods in the future.

Excellent company and customer, much better way to go than a Korean custom.