Author Topic: What are all the parts of a keyboard you need when building one?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Vozella

What are all the parts of a keyboard you need when building one?
« on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:47:58 »
Just asking so I know what to look for.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: What are all the parts of a keyboard you need when building one?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 18:59:18 »
case, controller, PCB (optional) and/or plate (optional), diodes, stabilizers, switches, leds (optional), key caps

Solder, soldering iron, wire, USB cable

You'll learn much more by reading through some threads here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:02:56 by SpAmRaY »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:03:59 »
If you want a backlit board, you need a PCB and a controller that support backlighting (if you're using a PCB, if you're handwiring using a plate, LEDs get very messy and I would recommend against doing so). You'll then need resistors and LEDs.

If you're using just a plate, you should probably look for one that does not have easy-open cutouts, to reduce the chance of pulling a switch out when you're changing keycaps.

When looking at diodes, make sure you get the physical form factor (through-hole or surface mount) that is supported by your PCB. If you are hand-wiring (no PCB), you'll want through-hole diodes, as they come with leads and can be wired directly to switches.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Vozella

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:18:22 »
If you want a backlit board, you need a PCB and a controller that support backlighting (if you're using a PCB, if you're handwiring using a plate, LEDs get very messy and I would recommend against doing so). You'll then need resistors and LEDs.

If you're using just a plate, you should probably look for one that does not have easy-open cutouts, to reduce the chance of pulling a switch out when you're changing keycaps.

When looking at diodes, make sure you get the physical form factor (through-hole or surface mount) that is supported by your PCB. If you are hand-wiring (no PCB), you'll want through-hole diodes, as they come with leads and can be wired directly to switches.

I was going to go with a plate, but can one actually make their own PCB? I thought only companies could do that.

If easy open cutouts are worse, why do easy open cutouts exist? What are they for?

Also, what are diodes? I don't understand it from what Google's telling me.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:22:01 »

case, controller, PCB (optional) and/or plate (optional), diodes, stabilizers, switches, leds (optional), key caps

The keyboard I'm going to build has an unusual size. How do I make my own? Actually, do you need a case?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:31:46 »

The keyboard I'm going to build has an unusual size. How do I make my own? Actually, do you need a case?

Technically a case is optional or the plate can be the case.

Offline neverused

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 20:14:09 by neverused »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 00:00:08 »
I was going to go with a plate, but can one actually make their own PCB? I thought only companies could do that.

If easy open cutouts are worse, why do easy open cutouts exist? What are they for?

Also, what are diodes? I don't understand it from what Google's telling me.

It is possible to etch your own PCB, but it's harder to do complicated traces by hand. You can also design a PCB and have a fab house manufacture it, although it will be expensive for a small run of boards.

Easy open cutouts are better if you use a PCB -- the tradeoff is a loss of stability for the ability to open the switches without desoldering. If you use a PCB, the added stability from the PCB more than makes up for the loss of stability in the plate. If you don't have a PCB, it is important to have maximum stability from the plate; this means no cutouts.

Diodes are semiconductors that allow current to flow in only one direction. Modern keyboards are wired in a matrix, to reduce the number of I/O pins required on the controller. For example, a keyboard with 64 keys can use as few as 16 pins on a controller (8 input, 8 output, 8*8 = 64). Using diodes in the matrix essentially prevents the controller from detecting keystrokes on keys you have not pressed. I remember having a good resource for this somewhere, but I can't find it now :/

E: Not what I was thinking of, but it might help understanding diodes: http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)